IGNORED

New Accounts Limited to Five (5) Posts

iacas
Note: This thread is 3085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

In order to curb spam, new accounts are limited to five posts in their first 24 hours of membership. After 24 hours have elapsed, the new account has no other restrictions.

If any legitimate (non-spammer) member bumps into this ceiling, please PM either @mvmac or myself (@iacas).

We'll re-assess this shortly (particularly if the Chinese spam dies down…).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas pinned this topic

cool plan.  anyway, 24 hours is not that bad

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

11 hours ago, iacas said:

In order to curb spam, new accounts are limited to five posts in their first 24 hours of membership.

If anyone runs afoul of this, please PM either @mvmac or myself (@iacas).

We'll re-assess this shortly (particularly if the Chinese spam dies down…).

Thanks. I was going to ask about how we could curb this.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Thanks. I was going to ask about how we could curb this.

Well, to be really clear, we already curb this. If you get a "1" out of 4 you get to register normally. If you get a 2 or a 3, your account is held for approval. If you get a 4, you're simply not allowed to register.

I also have a list of IPs (though that's less and less fruitful as spammers are using IPs in Maine, Texas, etc. these days) and a list of disposable email domains that are blocked as well.

It's really not bad. There's a fine line between blocking spammers and making it difficult for legitimate USERS to join.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Well, to be really clear, we already curb this. If you get a "1" out of 4 you get to register normally. If you get a 2 or a 3, your account is held for approval. If you get a 4, you're simply not allowed to register.

I also have a list of IPs (though that's less and less fruitful as spammers are using IPs in Maine, Texas, etc. these days) and a list of disposable email domains that are blocked as well.

It's really not bad. There's a fine line between blocking spammers and making it difficult for legitimate USERS to join.

Could you expand on the bold part?  It has been so long ago since I joined I do not know what those numbers relate to.  Thanks.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

What if we prevented new users from starting new threads for 24 hours rather than limiting their posts?  Most of the spam I've seen is in newly created threads with the topic of their spam.

Joe Paradiso

15 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

What if we prevented new users from starting new threads for 24 hours rather than limiting their posts?  Most of the spam I've seen is in newly created threads with the topic of their spam.

The problem with that is new members are encouraged to create "Welcome" threads.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
1 hour ago, turtleback said:

Could you expand on the bold part?  It has been so long ago since I joined I do not know what those numbers relate to.  Thanks.

Yes but why? It's a rating level of how legitimate the account is.

22 hours ago, iacas said:

Yes but why? It's a rating level of how legitimate the account is.

Just curiosity.  I'm a numbers guy and when I see numbers I like to know what they mean  But no big deal in any case.

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, turtleback said:

Just curiosity.  I'm a numbers guy and when I see numbers I like to know what they mean  But no big deal in any case.

Yeah, there's not much insight into how those numbers are derived, but I imagine they likely factor in things like the IP address (whether previously used by a spammer) and other things.

We're slowly building up a list of disposable email domains, but then again it's not a great help because most spammers register for gmail addresses. :-P

I will do everything possible to keep registration pretty open as I don't want to limit anyone from being able to register or having a waiting period for a moderator to manually approve them or anything.

23 hours ago, iacas said:

Yeah, there's not much insight into how those numbers are derived, but I imagine they likely factor in things like the IP address (whether previously used by a spammer) and other things.

We're slowly building up a list of disposable email domains, but then again it's not a great help because most spammers register for gmail addresses. :-P

I will do everything possible to keep registration pretty open as I don't want to limit anyone from being able to register or having a waiting period for a moderator to manually approve them or anything.

Thanks for the explanation.

Rich - in name only

• Administrator

There seems to be a bug with this. A member with several days could still only post five times per day.

• iacas unpinned this topic
Note: This thread is 3085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!