IGNORED

New FootJoy Freestyle Shoe

Note: This thread is 3022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/footjoy-freestyle-shoes-push-the-lightweight-trend-in-golf-footwear

I'll check these out.

FootJoy Freestyle shoes continue to push the lightweight trend in golf footwear

By Marty Hackel

It's no longer a surprise but now an expectation that a newly released golf shoe will be lightweight and casual-looking. While there are still great traditional footwear options, golf shoes continue to push in this lighter, more functional direction. 

FootJoy's latest release, the Freestyle, contains a new flexible SoftMaxTM outsole, translucent Pulsar cleats used by FootJoy for the first time, and a midsole compound that the 159-year-old company calls its "softest yet."

12_freestyle_07458_720x480_72_RGB.thumb.

"FreeStyle is arguably FootJoy's most imaginative and distinctive shoe ever," FootJoy's vice president of design and development Doug Robinson said in a release.

After testing these, you can certainly feel the comfort and performance elements at work. A new gripping system for the outsole uses molded rubber to match mobility with comfort. As your weight shifts at impact, these shoes are designed to help transfer energy and provide ideal grip to the ground.

The shoes will be available in six color schemes in February ($190, $210 for the company's Boa lacing system).

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like the sole wrapping around the sides of the shoe. I roll onto the side of my foot as I swing so I can see how that can help. I definitely like the BOA lacing system.

Does it only come in ugly? :-P

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

56 minutes ago, billchao said:

Does it only come in ugly? :-P

You mean that green orange and blue scheme isn't ugly enough?

I've had a pair of the FJ M-Project shoes for a while, and these look pretty similar.  The M-Projects are really comfortable, at least in the spikeless version.  Like Freestyle, the textured sole wraps up the sides just a bit.  In fact, its apparently made for right-hand players, since the sole wraps higher on the left side of both the left and right shoes.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I really like FJ's sportier styles and would love to get in on them (The DNAs are only $3 more expensive than the Tour 360 M1 I'll probably get otherwise), but they have this unfortunate trend of covering their shoe in a porous, non uniform material, either a mesh or an otherwise porous upper surface. My current Tour 360s are a nightmare to clean on the rear and ankle where they are porous and I can't imagine dealing with that on the whole shoe. Mud and dirt would get into these like mad when I play in wetter conditions. I like being able to clean up a shoe and spruce it up with shoe polish. I wish they'd adopt a bit more of a Nike and Taylormade approach with their solid uppers, just with their own sleeker aesthetic (Nikes, which I love in all other clothes and equipment, makes absolute Leviathans out of their golf spikes)

I'm also very tempted to get a BOA enclosure on my next shoe. My adidas Tour 360 and Adiboost unlace the second you're sure they won't unlace again and stop thinking about it. 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

You mean that green orange and blue scheme isn't ugly enough?

I've had a pair of the FJ M-Project shoes for a while, and these look pretty similar.  The M-Projects are really comfortable, at least in the spikeless version.  Like Freestyle, the textured sole wraps up the sides just a bit.  In fact, its apparently made for right-hand players, since the sole wraps higher on the left side of both the left and right shoes.

I've got the spike version of the M-Project and they are comfortable too. I will definitely be looking into these. Below is there intro video.

And @billchao, they have a few different color combos, not just this one.

http://www.footjoy.com/freestyle/

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

And @billchao, they have a few different color combos, not just this one.

http://www.footjoy.com/freestyle/

Nothing really catches my eye. I'll have to see them in person. They look a little "kids' toy plastic-y" with that translucent material they made half the shoe out of.

It's not that I mind flamboyant shoes; they're just hard to match to everything and I'm not going to buy multiple pairs of shoes. I do have a nice neon green shirt that will go nicely with the black and green pair.

Didn't notice the soft spikes at first. Will probably pass on them.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

They look so un-FootJoy-ish. Which I guess is the purpose. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Ugh, those are ugly. I don't like dress shoe looking golf shoes. I don't want something the Oregon Ducks would wear. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

20 hours ago, jamo said:

They look so un-FootJoy-ish. Which I guess is the purpose. 

Guess so.  They succeeded.  Not my personal style at all.  On my 3d pair of Icons though.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!