IGNORED

Best of 2015 drivers ... recap

inthehole
Note: This thread is 2990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Guys - I always buy my gear a year or two old, to save $$. I will try to get fit for a driver, but it's tough as often the stores don't have much 2014/15 stock left, only the new stuff.

So, I would really like to hear from those of you much more in the know as to any 2014/2015 drivers that got universal love ... any real standouts that everybody seemed to really like.

I haven't kept up with all the 2014/15 club reviews  - my job over the pre-season is to read up on all the reviews and get a feel for the drivers that get the most accolades.

I know club selection is highly individual but I figure this will give me a good starting point (I know it doesn't negate the need for a fitting) - just looking for some insider info as to the really solid driver offerings of 2014/15 that everybody felt performed really well (marketing hype aside).

It would also be a help to hear about those underperforming drivers that consensus says may have fell a bit short of the mark comparatively.

FYI - I'm a regular shaft swing speed kind of guy that needs some built in forgiveness, probably going to loft up looking for a bit more height/length.

Thanks !

John

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

From my own experience, testing and reading other reviews, the G30 driver is awesome and should certainly be a strong consideration. It's tough to say what drivers under-performed because it depends on what fits best for the golfer. All drivers are at the legal limit, they're all relatively forgiving but they differ in what they offer in launch and spin.

From your comments above I'd recommend the AeroBurner, G30 and Big Bertha drivers.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

2 hours ago, inthehole said:

Guys - I always buy my gear a year or two old, to save $$. I will try to get fit for a driver, but it's tough as often the stores don't have much 2014/15 stock left, only the new stuff.

So, I would really like to hear from those of you much more in the know as to any 2014/2015 drivers that got universal love ... any real standouts that everybody seemed to really like.

I haven't kept up with all the 2014/15 club reviews  - my job over the pre-season is to read up on all the reviews and get a feel for the drivers that get the most accolades.

I know club selection is highly individual but I figure this will give me a good starting point (I know it doesn't negate the need for a fitting) - just looking for some insider info as to the really solid driver offerings of 2014/15 that everybody felt performed really well (marketing hype aside).

It would also be a help to hear about those underperforming drivers that consensus says may have fell a bit short of the mark comparatively.

FYI - I'm a regular shaft swing speed kind of guy that needs some built in forgiveness, probably going to loft up looking for a bit more height/length.

Thanks !

John

Not that it makes a huge difference with regard to my answer, but what's your swing speed and the apex height of your current drives? That could tell people much more than "regular shaft". For example, if you swing 105 and hit a low flying bullet that carries 200 but then rolls 40 yards versus swinging 95 and getting 220 carry with 20 yards of roll the fit would be very much different.

The driver that everyone seems to be raving about is the M1, and a close second was the G30. Many people I know bought both the G30 then the M1. Too bad they are not left handed, then I might have a G30.

However, my impression of the G30 is that it is not that much better than my i25, but I only tried G30 in the store. I had the same impression of the M1 as well, and again only tried it in the store.

Both of my nephew's own different Nike drivers and really like them as well. One of them has VRS like yours. He likes it and drives pretty well.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I picked up a regular flex G30 driver last season and have been very happy with it.  Longer and much more forgiving than my previous driver.  My old driver was like 8 years old, so it's a bit of an unfair comparison, but the G30 is really good.  

Also I've very happy with Ping's customer service.  My push cart tipped over, breaking the G30's shaft.  The golf shop sent it back to Ping for a new shaft, and I just had to cover shipping 1 way.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

3 hours ago, mvmac said:

From your comments above I'd recommend the AeroBurner, G30 and Big Bertha drivers.

Pretty much. The best reviews I've seen have been for, 
Ping G30
Callaway XR
Taylormade M1
Taylormade AeroBurner

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I hit a friends G30 last week and man did that sound awful.  Kind of like my wife.  A high pitched annoying screech.

I'm used to the way a Titleist sounds.  Very nice.  I have a Ping K15 that doesn't sound like the G30.

Sound may be a consideration (it is for me), so I'd recommend hitting a few models before buying.

Edited by vangator

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

25 minutes ago, vangator said:

I hit a friends G30 last week and man did that sound awful.  Kind of like my wife.  A high pitched annoying screech.

I'm used to the way a Titleist sounds.  Very nice.  I have a Ping K15 that doesn't sound like the G30.

Sound may be a consideration (it is for me), so I'd recommend hitting a few models before buying.

You get use to it if the club is fitted much better for you that it gives you an extra 10-15 yards because it fits your swing better. :-D

I like Titlist. I just can't keep the spin down on them as much as the G30. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

28 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

You get use to it if the club is fitted much better for you that it gives you an extra 10-15 yards because it fits your swing better. :-D

I like Titlist. I just can't keep the spin down on them as much as the G30. 

Agree. I'm getting 5 to10 more from my TM M1 versus my 915D2. I like the sound of the 915D2 much better, but I get more distance with the TM with the same control.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!