or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PGA Superstores

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
Why are all of the PGA Superstores in southern states? Us northerners don't like golf equipment? None near NYC, DC, Philly, Boston, Chicago, Minneapolis, Seattle, Cleveland, or Baltimore. None in California either.
post #2 of 32

Re: PGA Superstores

Originally Posted by jamo View Post
Why are all of the PGA Superstores in southern states? Us northerners don't like golf equipment? None near NYC, DC, Philly, Boston, Chicago, Minneapolis, Seattle, Cleveland, or Baltimore. None in California either.
maybe more sales in warmer climates where you can play year around. Im sure golf store in northern states dont do near as much business in winter
post #3 of 32

Re: PGA Superstores

Originally Posted by motteler621 View Post
maybe more sales in warmer climates where you can play year around. Im sure golf store in northern states dont do near as much business in winter
That would be my logical assumption. None here in Michigan either
post #4 of 32
Thread Starter 

Re: PGA Superstores

Originally Posted by motteler621 View Post
maybe more sales in warmer climates where you can play year around. Im sure golf store in northern states dont do near as much business in winter
I don't know. I guess there would be a small drop off but there are hundreds (thousand?) of golf stores here in the north that make a fine profit. A huge PGA Superstore I'm sure would make money.
post #5 of 32

Re: PGA Superstores

Wow you guys have PGA superstores in the US!

I have a dream.... To one day see a PGA superstore in Australia.
post #6 of 32

Re: PGA Superstores

Originally Posted by jamo View Post
I don't know. I guess there would be a small drop off but there are hundreds (thousand?) of golf stores here in the north that make a fine profit. A huge PGA Superstore I'm sure would make money.
Its a big dropoff in the winter time for golf shops. Most casual golfers in the NE area stop playing golf and therefore don't see a reason to buy any golf related items. I used to work for a golf store as a sales associate and it's pretty dead in the winter. You don't have customers coming in to pick up golf accessories such as tees, golf balls, gloves, grips and such. Without that kind of foot traffic most customers don't enter a golf shop unless their clubs are broken. Golf stores in the NE area have enough trouble staying open due to online retailers as well so PGA Superstore in our area is definitely out of the question.
post #7 of 32

Re: PGA Superstores

I live on Cleveland's West Side. I see a bunch of guys at Golf Galaxy every time I pop in during the winter. Why? Well, we're stalking new equipment, hunting for deals, looking at the new things that manufacturers roll out, farting around on the putting green.

Still, I'm not sure if the profit margin would be there for a true golf megastore in the winter. The die-hards, the wackos, we're not where they make their money.
post #8 of 32

Re: PGA Superstores

Most of the PGA shops I have seen are in airports. Not large enough to be a superstore, really.

Also, is it actually the PGA, or does someone pay a license fee to use the PGA logo?
post #9 of 32

Re: PGA Superstores

What's up with them not selling Titleist. Nothing at all! Not even golf balls. How can a golf store stay in business and not sell the #1 ball in golf.
post #10 of 32

Re: PGA Superstores

Originally Posted by motteler621 View Post
maybe more sales in warmer climates where you can play year around. Im sure golf store in northern states dont do near as much business in winter
Good point, but that doesn't explain why they don't have one in CA.

Dan
post #11 of 32

Re: PGA Superstores

I went to the one in Atlanta, GA. Which is about 2 hours from me, but it was the greatest store I've ever been in, a huge putting green, a chipping area with a bunker, driving simulators, plus just all kinds of clubs, bags, clothes etc
post #12 of 32

Re: PGA Superstores

Originally Posted by dmnoland View Post
What's up with them not selling Titleist. Nothing at all! Not even golf balls. How can a golf store stay in business and not sell the #1 ball in golf.
Titleist doesn't like it when retailers sell the #1 ball in golf below the price they've set for it. The PGA Superstore got caught in the act, and they remain in Titleist's doghouse.
post #13 of 32

Re: PGA Superstores

Originally Posted by dmnoland View Post
What's up with them not selling Titleist. Nothing at all! Not even golf balls. How can a golf store stay in business and not sell the #1 ball in golf.
Not just Titleist, all of Acushnet, so that's FJ and Pinnacle too.

I heard that they'll re-negotiate in the near future. My guess is that the PGA Superstore doesn't need Titleist as much as one might think.
post #14 of 32

Re: PGA Superstores

Originally Posted by nearwater View Post
Good point, but that doesn't explain why they don't have one in CA.

Dan
I'll take this one. I work for a major sporting goods retailer based in the southeastern US. We have hundreds of stores in 25+ states. We are as far west as Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado. We had interest in moving into California, but their labor laws and restrictions basically require a separate HR dept just for that state alone. That's alot of salary. Most companies that start out in other areas simply purchase other companies which are based there already and stick their own logos on it. So, if you open, say, 4 PGA Superstores, you have to spend at least $200-300k per year just for salary on HR staff for those stores. It just sucks out a huge amount of profit.
post #15 of 32

Re: PGA Superstores

Originally Posted by ohiolefty View Post
I live on Cleveland's West Side. I see a bunch of guys at Golf Galaxy every time I pop in during the winter. Why? Well, we're stalking new equipment, hunting for deals, looking at the new things that manufacturers roll out, farting around on the putting green.

Still, I'm not sure if the profit margin would be there for a true golf megastore in the winter. The die-hards, the wackos, we're not where they make their money.
Not to mention a lot of die hard golfers move to where they can golf year round, if they have the means.
post #16 of 32

Re: PGA Superstores

Originally Posted by B-Con View Post
Not just Titleist, all of Acushnet, so that's FJ and Pinnacle too.

I heard that they'll re-negotiate in the near future. My guess is that the PGA Superstore doesn't need Titleist as much as one might think.
Nah, not sure I buy that. If you were going to make a special trip to a "superstore" like PGA or Golfsmith wouldn't you want to see all your available choices. While I don't have a local PGA store, I do have GG and Golfsmith and if either one didn't have a complete selection I wouldn't shop there.
I wonder if all these big retailers are going to eventually shut down their B & M stores since prices on the net are usually much better (except for of course Ping and Titleist).
post #17 of 32

Re: PGA Superstores

Originally Posted by dmnoland View Post
I wonder if all these big retailers are going to eventually shut down their B & M stores since prices on the net are usually much better (except for of course Ping and Titleist).
I hope not, because if they can't make it, it's going to be even harder for the mom and pop stores who can't leverage bigger discounts based on quantity. B&M still do alot of business, they need to get more customer service oriented, and bundle more services with the purchase of equipment from them to justify the higher price compared to the internet.

I'd like to see some plans like free replacement grips (OEM) for first three years after purchase, free fitting, free follow up fitting year from purchase. It's not enough to just have products on a shelf anymore you have to add value, this is where I feel they are missing the boat.
post #18 of 32

Re: PGA Superstores

The closest thing in my area is a Dick's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting