or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Orange Whip Putting Wand legal club?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Orange Whip Putting Wand legal club?

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

Is this legal by the USGA to use in a round? I know its not meant for that, but am just curious. If not, what keeps it from being legal?
Also if its not USGA legal, can it be carried in the bag as a practice device (like the orange whip) without violation?

 

 

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

post #2 of 28

The product description on THIS website says no.  "Please also note that the putter is meant to be a training device and it is not legal for general play."  There is apparently something in its design that makes it nonconforming.

 

Several other sites say the same thing.  Google is your friend.

post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
Google is your friend.

 

Smart aleck forum leaders are no one’s friend.
That’s why so many leave this site.

Interesting that you didn’t have an answer as to why its illegal, but felt the need to reply with no information anyway.

post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyThursday View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
Google is your friend.

 

Smart aleck forum leaders are no one’s friend.
That’s why so many leave this site.

Interesting that you didn’t have an answer as to why its illegal, but felt the need to reply with no information anyway.

 

Let's see, you ask a question because you're too idle to seek out the answer on your own and then get grumpy and presumptuous. Don't let the door hit you .... 

post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyThursday View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
Google is your friend.

 

Smart aleck forum leaders are no one’s friend.
That’s why so many leave this site.

Interesting that you didn’t have an answer as to why its illegal, but felt the need to reply with no information anyway.

 

What Asheville said.  See ya.

post #6 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville View Post
 

 

Let's see, you ask a question because you're too idle to seek out the answer on your own and then get grumpy and presumptuous. Don't let the door hit you .... 

 

So the pat answer to anyone that asks a question on the rules forum is “use google”, or “buy a rulebook”?

post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyThursday View Post
 

 

So the pat answer to anyone that asks a question on the rules forum is “use google”, or “buy a rulebook”?

Not necessarily. But if it is easy to find, forum members will point you to where you can easily find it.  FWIW, I don't think @Fourputt 's responds was smart-alecky at all.  You seem to take it that way immediately, which is unfortunate.

post #8 of 28

Now this would be smart-alecky... ;-)

 

http://bit.ly/1uvGr1Q

post #9 of 28

Putters must have flat faces, IIRC (horizontally, I believe - the Tear Drop putters of old were curved rolled vertically).

 

I think that's why.

 

And you misread his post. You owe @Fourputt an apology.

post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyThursday View Post
 

 

So the pat answer to anyone that asks a question on the rules forum is “use google”, or “buy a rulebook”?

No, there are a lot of good questions being asked on the rules forum, and you'll find that there are a lot of guys very willing to answer those good questions.  @Fourputt is one of the guys on the top of that list.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

FWIW, I don't think @Fourputt 's responds was smart-alecky at all.  You seem to take it that way immediately, which is unfortunate.

Agree.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

And you misread his post. You owe @Fourputt an apology.

Also agree.

post #11 of 28

Apology offered and accepted - done deal.  Back to our regularly scheduled program. 

post #12 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

Putters must have flat faces, IIRC (horizontally, I believe - the Tear Drop putters of old were curved rolled vertically).

 

I think that's why.

 

Strange. Wonder why vertical curvature is ok and not horizontal? See image below of the conforming MDX putter. Not to mention horizontal curvature is much more difficult to hit, so I’m not sure I understand illegality of it.

 

 

 

My initial intrigue on why the orange whip putter was non-conforming had to do with the shaft. I wondered if the incredible flex or the material was somehow illegal.

post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyThursday View Post
 

Strange. Wonder why vertical curvature is ok and not horizontal? See image below of the conforming MDX putter. Not to mention horizontal curvature is much more difficult to hit, so I’m not sure I understand illegality of it.

 

Well for one… a concave face could be helpful.

 

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Appendix-II/

 

 

Quote:

a. General

The face of the club must be hard and rigid and must not impart significantly more or less spin to the ball than a standard steel face (some exceptions may be made for putters). Except for such markings listed below, the club face must be smooth and must not have any degree of concavity.

 

post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville View Post
 

 

Let's see, you ask a question because you're too idle to seek out the answer on your own and then get grumpy and presumptuous. Don't let the door hit you .... 

Exactly.

Type "Rules for Golf Shafts" into Google and you get your answer within 5 seconds.

Too many people asking others to look things up for them.

For some reason it's supposed to be rude to suggest someone do what any fool can do (they're on a computer to start with) but it's OK to ask others to do it for you.

post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyThursday View Post
 

 

So the pat answer to anyone that asks a question on the rules forum is “use google”, or “buy a rulebook”?

Why not use Google?

That should be the first source when you are after OBJECTIVE information.

post #16 of 28

There is a publication called "A Guide to the Rules on Clubs and Balls" which is actually part of the the Rules of golf.  It's available here..

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-on-Clubs-and-Balls/Equipment-Rules/

post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

 There is apparently something in its design that makes it nonconforming.

 

 

What do you reckon this is?

post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulesman View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

 There is apparently something in its design that makes it nonconforming.

 

 

What do you reckon this is?

 

Honestly?  I don't worry much about the details.  The shaft looks a bit odd with what looks like some sort of length adjustment near the putter head.  I also don't like the convex faces, although I don't know if they are disallowed.  I know that concave faces are not allowed.  There are so many odd looking putters that I wouldn't go on appearance alone.  The fact that every source I could find said that this one was nonconforming was enough for me.

 

I don't carry training equipment with me on the course, so I just don't worry about the details of club design.  I buy and use clubs which are certified as conforming, and what few training aids I use are never kept in my bag.  The only training club I ever owned was a heavy 8 iron, which would have been conforming if it had a standard grip.  It did not, so it was kept either in the garage or in the trunk of my car, but was never put in my bag.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rules of Golf
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Orange Whip Putting Wand legal club?