IGNORED

Tommy Fleetwood is Overrated

Phil McGleno

What has the dude really accomplished?

Best finishes in majors are T17, a back-door second at Shinnecock last year, T12, and T35. He was T36 and T48 this year I think in the two majors.

His last tournament win was 2018 January and he had only three before that-with one being in 2013 and the other two in 2017.

He did okay in the Ryder Cup with Francesco and that is about it.-18th in OWGR probably because of all the bonus Euro Tour over-rating points.

Overrated.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

Overrated.

Where is he overrated? I've seen practically zero coverage of him.

2 minutes ago, chspeed said:

Where is he overrated? I've seen practically zero coverage of him.

People were picking him to win majors and things.-Dude has not even played okay in many PGA Tour events.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Anecdotal, but it seems a lot of people love his swing. Whether or not it's technically perfect or just aesthetically pleasing, I'm not in a position to judge, but guessing maybe they're thinking, great swing, eventually wins? Despite your Jim Furyks.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Top-five finishes in the last two U.S. Opens.  He shot a 63 in a major.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

4 hours ago, Phil McGleno said:

People were picking him to win majors and things.-Dude has not even played okay in many PGA Tour events.

Well Phil you know how it goes with this stuff. Analysts and announcers can never just say, ‘ Hey a nice win for John Doe...let's wish him all the best in the future.’ It’s always ‘Keep an eye on this guy’, ‘You’re gonna see his name a lot on the leader board.’ ‘ He’s gonna get a lot more wins I tell ya that ..’

James Haan, Hudson Swafford, Andrew Landry, ? Putnam, Matthew Fitzgerald, Patton Kazzire?, Ben Huh, Kevin Streelman,   I mean the list goes on and on. Now it’s Patrick Cantlay...it’s all they could talk about on the radio. He’ll be lucky to be in the top 10 on the leaderboards the rest of the season.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Well Phil you know how it goes with this stuff. Analysts and announcers can never just say, ‘ Hey a nice win for John Doe...let's wish him all the best in the future.’ It’s always ‘Keep an eye on this guy’, ‘You’re gonna see his name a lot on the leader board.’ ‘ He’s gonna get a lot more wins I tell ya that ..’

James Haan, Hudson Swafford, Andrew Landry, ? Putnam, Matthew Fitzgerald, Patton Kazzire?, Ben Huh, Kevin Streelman,   I mean the list goes on and on. Now it’s Patrick Cantlay...it’s all they could talk about on the radio. He’ll be lucky to be in the top 10 on the leaderboards the rest of the season.

You do know Patrick has had 8 top 10s already including a 3rd in the PGA and is 1st in scoring average right? Much of that has been ignored in favor of complaining about his pace of play, but the dude has been solid.

13 minutes ago, Golfnutgalen said:

You do know Patrick has had 8 top 10s already including a 3rd in the PGA and is 1st in scoring average right? Much of that has been ignored in favor of complaining about his pace of play, but the dude has been solid.

Lol. Wins my friend,wins. Let’s see how he does. I don’t think we’ll hear much of him. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

13 hours ago, Phil McGleno said:

Best finishes in majors are T17, a back-door second at Shinnecock last year, T12, and T35. He was T36 and T48 this year I think in the two majors.

His last tournament win was 2018 January and he had only three before that-with one being in 2013 and the other two in 2017.

He did okay in the Ryder Cup with Francesco and that is about it.-18th in OWGR probably because of all the bonus Euro Tour over-rating points.

Overrated.

More than you....

Don't see how the 18th ranked player in the entire world can be overrated....

When I think of overrated, the first name that comes up every single time is Rickie Fowler. And it’s not even close.

Edited by ChrisP

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Shindig said:

Top-five finishes in the last two U.S. Opens.  He shot a 63 in a major.  

Whoopty doo. The Shinnecock one, as pointed out, was as back door as they come.

35 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

When I think of overrated, the first name that comes up every single time is Rickie Fowler. And it’s not even close.

And yet Rickie has more PGA Tour wins (tougher Tour) than Fleetwood.

I'm with @Phil McGleno and have been saying similar things for awhile now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

25 minutes ago, iacas said:

And yet Rickie has more PGA Tour wins (tougher Tour) than Fleetwood.

I'm with @Phil McGleno and have been saying similar things for awhile now.

But Rickie has gotten a lot more hype than Tommy. Not disagreeing that Tommy is overrated. But if you didn’t know anything about golf and randomly tuned in one week, you would think Rickie would be a guy with at least one major and more than 5 tournament wins given all the hype and coverage they give to him.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

But Rickie has gotten a lot more hype than Tommy. Not disagreeing that Tommy is overrated. But if you didn’t know anything about golf and randomly tuned in one week, you would think Rickie would be a guy with at least one major and more than 5 tournament wins given all the hype and coverage they give to him.

He did have one year where he finished top five in every major. He won the Players, too. That's a big event with a strong field. He's done quite a bit more than Tommy Fleetwood.

Make a "Rickie is Overrated" topic. I doubt you'd get much discussion, though, as most probably agree.

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

26 minutes ago, iacas said:

He did have one year where he finished top five in every major. He won the Players, too. That's a big event with a strong field. He's done quite a bit more than Tommy Fleetwood.

Make a "Rickie is Overrated" topic. I doubt you'd get much discussion, though, as most probably agree.

Valid points on Rickie, I just think he should have accomplished more given his hype and his potential. 

Back on topic, though, I agree Fleetwood is overrated. I think he's a good European Tour player, but he hasn't proven it on the PGA Tour yet. A lot of his hype comes from his EuroTour success and last two US Opens where he's finished 4th and 2nd. Plus people are fascinated with the hair. But he choked away the Players earlier this year and has been a non-factor now in the last 4 majors he's played. 

On 6/6/2019 at 1:28 AM, Phil McGleno said:

Overrated.

You are ill informed. Tommy was second at the US open last year. You call that backdoor second? Won the open the France in 2017. Nothing overrated about him. Golfer with a rockstar attitude, played like the best at last Ryder cup.

Edited by MacDutch

On 6/8/2019 at 11:47 PM, MacDutch said:

You are ill informed. Tommy was second at the US open last year. You call that backdoor second? Won the open the France in 2017. Nothing overrated about him. Golfer with a rockstar attitude, played like the best at last Ryder cup.

Because he didn't win 3 majors within a year of first coming to the average Sandtrapper's notice he is "overrated". 

• Administrator
On 6/8/2019 at 9:47 AM, MacDutch said:

Backdoor, yes. He finished hours before the leaders.

Won four (compared to the PGA Tour) weak Euro Tour events since 2013. Zero in the last 15 months.

If you’re gonna call someone ill informed I’d expect him to have given incorrect info. He didn’t.

He's as over rated as many other tour players that win a couple of tournaments.

They make the news cycle for a couple of years.

Only a few players live up to the media billing.  One of the jobs of the PR people and media is to gin up interest in the game.  Of course they are going to keep  hailing the next superstar.

FWIW, Tommy Fleetwood doesn't seem to buy into the hype.  He comes across as down to earth and just focused on geting better. 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Backdoor, yes. He finished hours before the leaders.

Won four (compared to the PGA Tour) weak Euro Tour events since 2013. Zero in the last 15 months.

If you’re gonna call someone ill informed I’d expect him to have given incorrect info. He didn’t.

You play the course, shoot the best score you can and see where you finish.  You don't 'backdoor' your way into anything.  He fully deserved his second place - I know that because he shot the 2nd best score over 4 rounds.

• Like 2