IGNORED

Feel Ain't Real Is B.S.

Note: This thread is 1746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• iacas changed the title to Feel Ain't Real Is B.S.
  • Administrator

Thing is… nobody says feel is NEVER real.

But feel often ain't real. Proprioception is often "off." Some people are better at it than others, but even Tiger Woods will have a "feel" that creates a pattern that isn't exactly the same as what it "feels" like.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

But feel often ain't real. Proprioception is often "off." Some people are better at it than others, but even Tiger Woods will have a "feel" that creates a pattern that isn't exactly the same as what it "feels" like.

I agree with this.

Obviously some people have a better sense of real through feel due to natural ability and training, but to say feel ain't real is bullshit is bullshit. It's observable. Hogan felt he only rotated, Phil hinges and holds, etc.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

Proprioception is a thing. You can improve your sense of body and golf club awareness. Believe that!

Maybe.  So?

There's still a more pressing issue for me.  In my backswing, it feels like my head is moving away from the target.  I exaggerate that feeling in practice.  When I see it on video, my head is clearly moving towards the target.  

As humans, we are amazingly bad at things like being aware of what our bodies are doing.  Just because one can improve that sense doesn't mean that right now, what we feel should be real.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 minute ago, Shindig said:

As humans, we are amazingly bad at things like being aware of what our bodies are doing.  Just because one can improve that sense doesn't mean that right now, what we feel should be real.

Image result for it's a trap

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

2 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

Image result for it's a trap

What does that even mean in this context?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

As humans, we are amazingly bad at things like being aware of what our bodies are doing.

this is a completely bogus statement. just ask a dancer, or gymnast, or diver, or anyone who is aware of what their body is doing. 

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

If it's BS then swing changes would be easy and we wouldn't need to exaggerate any feels. I think the best players of all time are aware it's not BS.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

11 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

this is a completely bogus statement. just ask a dancer, or gymnast, or diver, or anyone who is aware of what their body is doing. 

So people in peak physical condition after years of training are examples of prototypical humans?  

-- Michael | My swing! 

On 6/7/2019 at 12:12 AM, hoselpalooza said:

This guy use to be a professional dancer and his instructor (Mario) is amazed at how good his proprioception is but he still has to exaggerate to get to a happy medium with his swing. I watched a lesson of theirs the other day and Mario had to stand to his side, risk getting hit unless Nate changed the piece. He had to do this because they had been working for a few days to change this piece and Mario needed to get extreme with it.

So even someone who was a professional dancer with great proprioception has to deal with "feel ain't real".

56571280_135275057597430_571676831301286

Mario Anthony Bevilacqua shared a post on Instagram: "@nathanmaas turning the corner in #sandiego #standardprocedure #smoothoperator @tpcsummerlin @playtpc @pgatour @nike @nikegolf @pingtour #nike...
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

27 minutes ago, Shindig said:

As humans, we are amazingly bad at things like being aware of what our bodies are doing.

this sounds more like a self-fulfilling prophecy than reality. 

my swing thread

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

More reality than you seem to understand.

This topic is BS.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

Believe me, I can guarantee that many of the things you feel are not real. Pushing off from the rear foot, for example...

The same thing applies to everything we humans do, by the way, not just golf. I do a lot of work with horses, and I have to constantly prevent myself from gripping with my knees. I never feel myself do it, but I feel the horse react to me doing it. I then have to ride for a while over-exaggerating things by making sure my knees don't touch the saddle at all to break myself out of that false feeling again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Your brain is more aware of some parts of your body than others, based upon the wiring of neurons and such.  Check out the cortical homunculus.   It is gross, but helpful in understanding the limits of what your self awareness is capable of.

cortical homonculus.jpg

John Daly was on the Golf Channel and was showing the viewers how to hit a little pitch shot.   He mentioned that they need to take the club half way back to complete the shot.   His swing was a very extreme full swing in which he said was a 1/2 swing.   

My martial arts instructor always had us exaggerate a move because he said feel wasn't real.   It took time and practice for the feel to become real. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

7 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

It took time and practice for the feel to become real. 

this is exactly the point. feel can become real. 

my swing thread

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Maybe you just glazed over @iacas's post.     

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

26 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

this is exactly the point. feel can become real. 

Then it is not automatic is it? You have to work to translate what you are feeling into something that when viewed be film is reality. That is the whole point of Feel Ain't Real. Your practice for swing changes needs to be filmed because what you think the feel is creating is not reality. But it can become reality with training. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!