IGNORED

Trouble Hitting 2-Iron

Note: This thread is 1771 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Kevlar10 said:

I’ve used it many times and I have hit it consistently between 235-265 out of the first cut, 

Not meaning to be snarky but I simply don't believe that. A 2i off the first cut 265yds, I'd have to see that on a monitor.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Not meaning to be snarky but I simply don't believe that. A 2i off the first cut 265yds, I'd have to see that on a monitor.

I’m not taking US Open rough, just off the fairway, 2 in. grass.   Deeper rough, I agree, I’m hitting a lot less.  I’m not counting those shots, lol

9 minutes ago, Kevlar10 said:

I’m not taking US Open rough, just off the fairway, 2 in. grass.   Deeper rough, I agree, I’m hitting a lot less.  I’m not counting those shots, lol

@Vinsk's point remains nonetheless.

2 hours ago, Sandy Divot said:

As they said in Cool Hand Luke, "A man needs to know his limitations." Hybrid.

I think that was Dirty Harry!   :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I relate a 2i with a L-wedge. These two clubs have something in common with each other. That being, the golfer using those two clubs can't be afraid to swing them. They both require the golfer to have a huge amount of confidence in their own ability to swing these clubs. . 

On full shots,  they both need decent club head speed. They also require the golfer to have no major flaws in their repeatable, low hdcp swing. 

I have two, 2 irons. One is a blade, and the other is a semi (?) Ironwood hybrid. I sometimes practice with the blade, just to tune up my overall swing. I don't hit it far, (160+/-) off thin lies, but I do hit it reasonably straight. It does take me several, hand jarring swings to start hitting it well. 

The Ironwood hybrid is one of my regular gamers in my irons only bag. Love hitting this club. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I'd buy it, the first cut often times will tee up the golf ball if it's sitting on top of the grass. My 3-iron is my 240-255 club, so if someone caught a 2i pure as though it were teed up and had a similar swing speed to me I can see it. I wouldn't expect it regularly or if the ball were anything but teed up, but if the conditions were right I can see it as possible.

As to the topic of the post, the primary problem with a 2i is that they're just plain hard to hit. I play my MP4 irons up to a 3-iron, but realistically I should probably not be hitting a muscleback blade for my 3-iron. I can make solid contact and hit good shots, but it's just not as forgiving as I want and I should probably pick up something more like a driving iron or other higher launching club to fill that slot in my bag. I say this as someone who has hovered between a 4 and a +2.5 handicap over the past four years or so, with significantly more consistent ball striking than any 17 handicap player.

I mean no offense when I say that a 2 iron is something that I myself would rarely use anywhere myself except off the tee and I don't think anyone - including PGA Tour pros - should either. The good news is that it sounds like you're trying to use it off the tee on tight/narrow par 4's - that's the exact purpose of a driving iron and a fact that I think many in this thread so far have missed. Off the tee I would have to guess that you're most likely trying to hit the ball on the upswing like you do your driver or 3-wood, and that my best advice (not having seen your swing ever) would be to make sure you're trying to hit it as though it is an iron - because it is an iron. You have to hit down for it to go up, even with the very low loft of a 2-iron.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Patch said:

I relate a 2i with a L-wedge. These two clubs have something in common with each other. That being, the golfer using those two clubs can't be afraid to swing them. They both require the golfer to have a huge amount of confidence in their own ability to swing these clubs. . 

On full shots,  they both need decent club head speed. They also require the golfer to have no major flaws in their repeatable, low hdcp swing. 

I have two, 2 irons. One is a blade, and the other is a semi (?) Ironwood hybrid. I sometimes practice with the blade, just to tune up my overall swing. I don't hit it far, (160+/-) off thin lies, but I do hit it reasonably straight. It does take me several, hand jarring swings to start hitting it well. 

The Ironwood hybrid is one of my regular gamers in my irons only bag. Love hitting this club. 

I've never understood the fear of a LW, even in my days as a beginner.  I've hit full shots with a 60 from day one and never saw any fear in it.  Around the green flop shots with water on the other side of the green is different than a full shot, and in my opinion, requires much less ability than that required to hit solid 2i shots, speed being a big part of it.

7 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

I wouldn't expect it regularly or if the ball were anything but teed up, but if the conditions were right I can see it as possible.

Sure, I can see this.

4 hours ago, Kevlar10 said:

consistently between 235-265 out of the first cut, which is close to what I hit my 3w on the fairway.

But not this.

Edited by ncates00

I'd buy it,

I would too if you had said it.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

You have to hit down for it to go up, even with the very low loft of a 2-iron.

But not excessively.  Otherwise, you won't launch it.

• iacas changed the title to Trouble Hitting 2-Iron
1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

But not excessively.  Otherwise, you won't launch it.

Well for the guy who said he swings his 4i 120mph he could get away with it and hit one hell of a stinger. But another claim I think isn’t true. Nobody on this forum is swinging their 4i 120mph.

• Like 1

Just now, Vinsk said:

Well for the guy who said he swings his 4i 120mph he could get away with it and hit one hell of a stinger. But another claim I think isn’t true. Nobody on this forum is swinging their 4i 120mph.

I doubt that anybody on the PGA Tour is swinging their 4-iron 120mph...!

• Like 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

I doubt that anybody on the PGA Tour is swinging their 4-iron 120mph...!

haha agreed.  Not even Cameron Champ. 

Nothing wrong with trying to hit a 2-iron even at a 17 handicap. As stated before it takes serious clubhead speed to hit a 2-iron. 

The general rule of thumb is if you can't hit your driver 270 yards in the air, dump the 2-iron, less than 250 yards dump the 3-iron, and so on. I am able to hit a 2 and 3-iron with decent results, I just choose not to.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

If the OP is really from Sweden, as he claims, why is he talking yards and MPH? Shouldn't it be metric? Something about this thread seems fishy. I don't believe the swing speed either.

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

On 6/23/2019 at 9:15 PM, Vinsk said:

I can do that!  On the back of a flatbed moving at 40 mph. My 4 iron swing speed will be 120 relative to the ground.😁

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1771 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!