Jump to content
IGNORED

2019 British Open Thread


Note: This thread is 740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Jay28 said:

Has he even played since the US Open??  I see lots of rough in his immediate future.

He's probably played since the US Open, just not in a professional tournament (unless he entered a mini tour event, but I figure we'd have heard of that if he did). 

In fact, assuming he plays next week (I'm sure he will), he will have played in four majors in five starts, with only Jack's tournament in that stretch where he played in a non-major.  Although I think the absence of the WGC at Firestone may have played into that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read some male cow fecal matter on this site from time to time. I'm guilty it of myself at times, just for fun.  However, saying Tiger should not be playing this course, and is taking away a sp

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jay28 said:

I hope Tiger makes the cut.  Great for the tournament if he does, but it's a big ask. Has he even played since the US Open??  I see lots of rough in his immediate future.

This information is freey available, you know. :-)

Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 6.58.37 am.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Shindig said:

He's probably played since the US Open, just not in a professional tournament (unless he entered a mini tour event, but I figure we'd have heard of that if he did). 

In fact, assuming he plays next week (I'm sure he will), he will have played in four majors in five starts, with only Jack's tournament in that stretch where he played in a non-major.  Although I think the absence of the WGC at Firestone may have played into that. 

According to the story on ESPN, he hasn’t even picked up a golf club since the US Open. He said they stayed in the travel bag for the last few weeks. Just started putting a little bit in the last week and then played Portrush this morning.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, ChrisP said:

According to the story on ESPN, he hasn’t even picked up a golf club since the US Open. He said they stayed in the travel bag for the last few weeks. Just started putting a little bit in the last week and then played Portrush this morning.

I have a difficult time believing that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tee times posted

TheOpen_Poster.jpg

View the Tee Times for all the players at the 148th Open at Royal Portrush, Northern Ireland. View Tee Times here.

Tiger opens with a 3:10 tee time playing with Patrick Reed & Matt Wallace, then goes off at 10:09 on Friday

Edited by Wally Fairway
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, SPJr said:

I have a difficult time believing that.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2019%2F0211%2Fr500579_1

With a practice round Sunday, Tiger Woods got his first look at Royal Portrush ahead of next...

By the way it looks like Thursday could be the “windy day” based on the forecast thus far. These things change daily though.

Edited by ChrisP
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ChrisP said:
i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2019%2F0211%2Fr500579_1

With a practice round Sunday, Tiger Woods got his first look at Royal Portrush ahead of next...

I read it. I suppose it is a bit more believable that he was on vacation with his family - so he didn't touch his clubs.

But I still think it is a stretch.  Maybe people are right about Tiger. He has become complacent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, SPJr said:

I read it. I suppose it is a bit more believable that he was on vacation with his family - so he didn't touch his clubs.

But I still think it is a stretch.  Maybe people are right about Tiger. He has become complacent.

I’m not inside his head so I don’t know, but if I were to guess, I think he’s being cautious with his health, especially with so much golf coming up, and also I still think the Masters win has left a bit of a hangover. I think he will get that drive back, but it’s not as strong as it was pre-Masters. He’s not as obsessed about winning as he used to be and wants to spend more time doing other things. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I’m not inside his head so I don’t know, but if I were to guess, I think he’s being cautious with his health, especially with so much golf coming up, and also I still think the Masters win has left a bit of a hangover. I think he will get that drive back, but it’s not as strong as it was pre-Masters. He’s not as obsessed about winning as he used to be and wants to spend more time doing other things. 

Yes, you're probably right. When I said he has become complacent, I was just being general.

I don't think it is difficult to understand that he is in a different point in his life and has other priorities. That is likely. I do think that is what people mean when they say "complacent".

Whatever Tiger decides to do - I don't really care more than passing interest. I'm newer to golf and missed the Tiger era - so I'm not as invested.

I still think it is hard to believe that he hadn't touch his clubs for two weeks, or however long he says. But I digress.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just hope Tiger realizes that his conservative plan that worked at The Masters isn’t always going to be the right strategy. Those water balls were done on such a high pressure and notorious tournament. Especially the classic reputation of the last nine at The Masters. If someone or several players fire -7, -8 on Thursday and he shoots even....conservative pansy playing is out the window. At the US OPEN Tiger seemed to think par was a good score when so many others were making birdies. I hope he goes for pins and aims to go low!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My plays this week:

McIlroy 8/1 - usually don’t play someone with this low of odds, but you can’t downplay his course knowledge.

Schauffele 25/1

Scott 28/1

Matsuyama 40/1

Pepperell 80/1

McIntyre 250/1

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kuchar is always good for three rounds. But he always has that one bad round, usually on the last day, that kills his chances.

Americans, I like JT this week. He played well in Scotland last week and seems to be on the upswing. Also like Schauffele which is why I bet him. He nearly won last year. Also I think Cantlay seriously contends. Going under the radar.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...