IGNORED

SGI for low handicappers?

SCManila
Note: This thread is 1726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play off a 6 an am a decent golfer. I game my Epon AF305s and they feel great. Lately though, I’ve been toying with the idea of switching to SGIs (the new T300 looks great for me).

anyway, would there be low handicappers (you or someone you know) who are happy gaming SGIs?

From my research, the complaint always seem to revolve around how hideous they look, but if they get the job done.....

50 minutes ago, SCManila said:

I play off a 6 an am a decent golfer. I game my Epon AF305s and they feel great. Lately though, I’ve been toying with the idea of switching to SGIs (the new T300 looks great for me).

anyway, would there be low handicappers (you or someone you know) who are happy gaming SGIs?

From my research, the complaint always seem to revolve around how hideous they look, but if they get the job done.....

It’s not only the looks that turn some away it’s the decrease in ‘workability.’ SGI irons are designed to help poorer ball strikers get the ball in the air. Low cappers aren’t usually looking for this. They want to be able to vary the trajectory and work the ball which is more difficult with a SGI club. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

It’s not only the looks that turn some away it’s the decrease in ‘workability.’ SGI irons are designed to help poorer ball strikers get the ball in the air. Low cappers aren’t usually looking for this. They want to be able to vary the trajectory and work the ball which is more difficult with a SGI club. 

Yeah heard this as well.

since I only play with a stock fade, I’m thinking these SGIs will work for me. 

2 hours ago, SCManila said:

Besides looks and workability as mentioned above, I've also heard of some SGIs having very low spin numbers. Low spin is great for distance, but can be troublesome for holding greens if the descent angle is too low. Definitely try them on a launch monitor too see where they compare to your current gamers.

I have heard that distance variability is greater with SGI.

(I’m a high capper, so for me, the distance varies due to strike, and effects of the club on distance control are less noticeable.)

• Informative 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

6 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

I have heard that distance variability is greater with SGI.

This. 

It's exactly why I moved away from a game improvement iron into a more "players" style iron. I didn't need the random pitching wedge that flew 180 yds from the middle of the fairway. 

I am much more confident in my yardages now and know that I wont get random shots that carry 30 yds further than expected unless there are other conditions (rough, wind, etc)

• Informative 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

2 hours ago, SCManila said:

would there be low handicappers (you or someone you know) who are happy gaming SGIs?

My friend felt the need to change from his beloved Mizunos to Titleist AP? (the GI one). He's happy. Also I think the number of pros who include some GI irons in their bag is growing. But what do I know? I'm interested in following your post to learn more. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I used to play a lot more and before having to scale back due to moving and working, ended as a 7 handicap.   I had (still have) Mizuno MP-69s and think they are the best clubs I ever owned.   I still cannot play and practice like I used to and was having a number of issues, so I got a set of TaylorMade MP5s and really like them,   They generally fly straighter than the Mizunos, and have a lot more forgiveness in them, however are not as clunky feeling as the MP6s, which appear to be SGI clubs.

For what I am playing and practicing now, they give me the ball shape that I want (my standard shot is straight) and overall gave me a distance boost of 10-15yds, which is pretty consistent when I hit the clubs.

While I hope to get back to the Mizunos and play them again, I don't consider the MP5s a crutch, I consider them to be a viable way of compensating for a lack of practice.

—Adam

I had played blades for a long time.  I went in for a fitting with no expectations on what irons I would end up buying.  I ended up in the Ping i500 irons and although they are a "game improvement" iron, they look like a blade at address, have great distance, spin numbers are good and I can still work the ball left/right and high/low.  I would look into these irons if you are looking to make a switch, I did this year and I don't plan to look back.

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Grinde6 said:

I had played blades for a long time.  I went in for a fitting with no expectations on what irons I would end up buying.  I ended up in the Ping i500 irons and although they are a "game improvement" iron, they look like a blade at address, have great distance, spin numbers are good and I can still work the ball left/right and high/low.  I would look into these irons if you are looking to make a switch, I did this year and I don't plan to look back.

The i500 looks like they’re blades?

37 minutes ago, SCManila said:

The i500 looks like they’re blades?

They're actually a hollow body construction. P nifty.

The JPX line from Mizuno would be a great GI club for a better player.

Colin P.

Currently at 2 handicap I play Titleist 716 AP1, game improvement irons. 
I don´t have problems at all with distance vatiability and i can work the ball as i please with the advantage that they are more forgiving in my misshits that happens very often.

Note: This thread is 1726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!