IGNORED

Gary Player Cheating?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1727 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 minutes ago, Jay28 said:

He won by 4 shots.

I hardly think he was cheating with a 4 shot lead on the last hole.

He would have won anyway, and not have a thread saying he cheated 45 years later 😂😱😂

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

24 minutes ago, Jay28 said:

He won by 4 shots.

He may have not intentionally improved his lie, directly cheating. But he did improve his lie. If it was accidental he still should’ve called it on himself or at least call a rules official over and state what happened. He did none of those which doesn't shed a very good light on the situation. 

The only scenario that really clears Gary doesn’t sound very plausible: He didn’t even realize he moved the dirt. Huh? I did what? Of course with today’s rule of ‘ I didn’t know that was breaking any rule’ would have him covered.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I don’t believe it was intentional, I don’t know if he realized it or not (he did clean off the putter head so I would think it would have clicked but maybe not), and yeah he got away with breaking a rule there.

25 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Of course with today’s rule of ‘ I didn’t know that was breaking any rule’ would have him covered.

What's that Rule number, please?

25 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

24 minutes ago, Asheville said:

No idea. I thought there was something said awhile back about ‘claiming ignorance’ to avoid a penalty.

On a more serious note:

BMW names Bernhard Kuhnt CEO for North America.

Rather unfortunate last name....

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Jay28 said:

He won by 4 shots.

And yet it appears that he did......

5 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Well the first one would be reserved for utter morons. There’s no question if he touched the ground.

Have a look at the 20 responses following mine. There are people who insist it might not have been intentional and he might not have known. Amazing.

The attitude seems to be "I know you think he looks like he cheated, and the evidence is there in front of us, but why would he, therefore I don't think he did."

The guy has a reputation for being a cheat and a dick - and you can point to all of the Masters promos where you see him desperately sucking up to Palmer and NIcklaus to be recognised as part of the "Big 3" (as if anyone gives  a hoot) to disparage that opinion. How could someone say that a guy with the strength he had in has wrists in those days, and the firm practice backstroke he took was not controlled. Give me a break.

Next we'll have people say that if someone in their Friday foursome did that they wouldn't care - as if that has anything to do with it.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

He may have not intentionally improved his lie, directly cheating. But he did improve his lie. If it was accidental he still should’ve called it on himself or at least call a rules official over and state what happened. He did none of those which doesn't shed a very good light on the situation. 

The only scenario that really clears Gary doesn’t sound very plausible: He didn’t even realize he moved the dirt. Huh? I did what? Of course with today’s rule of ‘ I didn’t know that was breaking any rule’ would have him covered.

1 hour ago, Asheville said:

34 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

No idea. I thought there was something said awhile back about ‘claiming ignorance’ to avoid a penalty.

I think that was whether disqualification was applicable. Rule 1.3b(1)

(1) Player Responsibility for Applying the Rules. Players are responsible for applying the Rules to themselves:

•    Players are expected to recognize when they have breached a Rule and to be honest in applying their own penalties.

»    If a player knows that he or she has breached a Rule that involves a penalty and deliberately fails to apply the penalty, the player is disqualified.

Also, the additional penalty for not including the penalty strokes was dropped:

Edited by Missouri Swede
  • Thumbs Up 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

13 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Well the first one would be reserved for utter morons. There’s no question if he touched the ground. Personally  I think he knew he did something wrong and played the whole ‘ can you keep it down for a minute’ to divert attention.

dont look at me nick offerman GIF by Team Coco

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 8/16/2019 at 4:22 PM, leftybutnotPM said:

Something along the lines of "Gary, we're sick of this shit." when Player improved his lie for the umpteenth time.

Are you serious? How about the advantage of not having to chop down on the ball and being able to take a smooth backswing. That's why the rule exists.

Meaning rules don't matter for you. Correct? Cheating is OK if "no advantage is gained"? - a notion that makes as much sense as your disregard for the rules.

Ive read through this thread and nobody can definitively state what rule he broke. Just a bunch of shoulds, hypotheticals and finger pointing saying "he cheated". If you cant say he even broke a rule, then he didn't break one, did he?  If you have a problem with what he did with the putter, chalk it up to gamesmanship. The tone of golf rules discussions (especially on the internet) are often self righteous and accusatory. Equating the rules of golf with actual laws. Please. These aren't laws. These are rules of a game that in the grand scheme of things are completely meaningless. 

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Ive read through this thread and nobody can definitively state what rule he broke.

Inaccurate.

Rule 17 from 1972: http://www.ruleshistory.com/rules1972.html. Rule 18 doesn't apply as sand and loose soil weren't loose impediments in 1974 either.

23 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

The tone of golf rules discussions (especially on the internet) are often self righteous and accusatory.

As opposed to your constant pooh-poohing? Please. We all know how you feel about the Rules, so here's a new rule: you are not allowed to participate in the Rules forum of this site.

It's a Rules forum. We discuss the Rules here.

21 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Equating the rules of golf with actual laws. Please. These aren't laws.

Uh, no. You're way, way off base there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

These aren't laws. These are rules of a game that in the grand scheme of things are completely meaningless. 

And while a single child is spending a night without food and a bed it is wrong to talk about golf on a golf forum, correct?

And you're the one who used the term "self righteous". Funny that...

Note: This thread is 1727 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!