IGNORED

New Player from Dayton, OH

topoftheline89
Note: This thread is 1631 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all from Dayton OH USA.

I grew up with a interest in golf but never got serious about the game only playing a few times a year. I got distracted with cars and motorcycles, then pool for many years. I am now returning to golf with purpose and intent at age 29. I only played a few times a year growing up . I have always challenged myself in life mainly through difficult mechanical operations fixing up project cars and bikes. Enough work, time to play! I became a Realtor 3 years ago and have made a career out of it and am now comfortable enough to play 2-3 rounds of golf a week. I was always around a 110-120 golfer. I think I broke 100 once with a 98 when I was 18 on a 5300 yard course. I started playing again a month ago and am building a decent bag with used clubs currently.Currently playing with 1998 Ram Titanium X irons I bought when I was 13 used. Just got a used Cleveland 15 degree 3 wood that I am hitting well. Picked up a Ping b60 putter from a pawn shop ($25) that I like a lot and am about to receive a Cleveland classic driver to replace my $20 Taylor Made 580x that hasn't been very forgiving. After 10-12 rounds I am getting closer to my goal of shooting fairly consistently in the 90's by the end of the season. Broke my personal best with a 97 last Sunday. Having a tough time with irons(some days they are there, other days it's duff city). A friend of mine recommended this forum so here I am . Hoping to learn lots from you all. Thanks for reading.

Golden Bear.JPG

Head Covers.JPG

profile pic.jpg

WITB:

:ping: G25 8.5 with Hazardous black stiff shaft. Anser 3W 15 degree

:mizuno: MP-14 3-9. 51* Mizuno, :cleveland:54* Cleveland RAW ,60*  588 :odyssey: #2 Stricker special

@topoftheline89, welcome friendo. I hope you find as much good stuff on this forum as I do. Glad to see you here.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TST! Nice head covers there. You’ll find plenty of stuff to help your game here. Glad you joined. Cheers!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 9/23/2019 at 9:09 AM, mcanadiens said:

Hello @topoftheline89.

It seems we've had a few recent people from the Miami Valley sign in. Somebody must be talking TST up.

Is there a particular course you play or do you just mix it up?

Thanks to all the welcome wishers. I mix it up. Community and Madden are my top go to courses based on location. So far this year I have played, Community, Dales probably 6 times, Hills once,  Madden about 4 times,The Hawk twice, the Eagle once,Pipestone once and the mound once.

Edited by topoftheline89

WITB:

:mizuno: MP-14 3-9. 51* Mizuno, :cleveland:54* Cleveland RAW ,60*  588 :odyssey: #2 Stricker special

52 minutes ago, topoftheline89 said:

Thanks to all the welcome wishers. I mix it up. Community and Madden are my top go to courses based on location. So far this year I have played, Community, Dales probably 6 times, Hills once,  Madden about 4 times,The Hawk twice, the Eagle once,Pipestone once and the mound once.

Nuts. I thought an aspiring real estate mogul like yourself would be able to get us on at Dayton Country Club or Moraine. 

Nah. We here are mostly muni types. @CarlSpackler and myself mainly play Kittyhawk. @Bonvivant has been known to frequent Community. Once in awhile, we coax @Jeremie Boop to make the trip down south, from Lima, to play.

Actually with my season mostly done, I've been playing the Dales a bit myself in an effort to finally card a round under 80. Darn near did it on Saturday. 

Edited by mcanadiens

Yeah, no country club connects yet but I have only been getting into golf for about 2 months now. I shot my best round to date yesterday at dales with a 92. On in regulation on 7 holes but kept blowing putts so only parred one hole. @bonvivant turned me onto the sand trap,we are good friends and competitors. I had only seen it when looking for club reviews before. I am glad to see my score moving in the right direction. Hope to break into the 80's there soon.

9-23-19 Dales 92.JPG

WITB:

• iacas changed the title to New Player from Dayton, OH
1 hour ago, topoftheline89 said:

@bonvivant turned me onto the sand trap,we are good friends and competitors.

Had a feeling that might be the case.

Not a bad score for being out there two months. At this rate, you'd be beating me in about three weeks time.

Dales does have those two rough par-5 holes on the front. I see they got you and they get me more often than not. That tee shot on No. 6 looks like a lot of tree before you ever swing the club. On No. 7, I always pull the tee shot and have to play some weird punch shot to get back into position for the uphill approach where flat lies are somewhat unlikely. If you get over the hole, that down-slope putt is nervy.

Nice par on No. 2.

Edited by mcanadiens

Played it again today after my morning apointments and it was a mixed bag. Kept making bad shots then three decent or good shots to save bogey. Less greens in regulation today then yesterday. Overall can't complain too much but this 93 felt like a 103 with all the poor striking. Where as yesterday was a much better overall consistency with tons of bad putting.

Dales 9-24-19 #93.JPG

WITB:

2 hours ago, topoftheline89 said:

Played it again today after my morning apointments and it was a mixed bag. Kept making bad shots then three decent or good shots to save bogey. Less greens in regulation today then yesterday. Overall can't complain too much but this 93 felt like a 103 with all the poor striking. Where as yesterday was a much better overall consistency with tons of bad putting.

That's kinda how golf is.

Welcome to the forum. I'm a bit East of you over near Columbus in Westerville. 

Not that it matters much, but there's a decent free app called 18 birdies which will allow you to chart your score, and also keep the fairways hit, misses to left, misses to right, GIR's, putts and a few other stats as well. I noticed you are keeping those stats, so you may want to check it out. 

Again, welcome. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

6 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

That's kinda how golf is.

Welcome to the forum. I'm a bit East of you over near Columbus in Westerville. 

Not that it matters much, but there's a decent free app called 18 birdies which will allow you to chart your score, and also keep the fairways hit, misses to left, misses to right, GIR's, putts and a few other stats as well. I noticed you are keeping those stats, so you may want to check it out. 

Again, welcome. 

Thanks for the tip. I will have to get the app.

WITB:

@topoftheline89, maybe we should make a Columbus trip to meet a new friend in @ChetlovesMer! Was it the driver or the irons that was the weak spot today? Also gotta get out together soon. Been too long, lol.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

6 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

@topoftheline89, maybe we should make a Columbus trip to meet a new friend in @ChetlovesMer! Was it the driver or the irons that was the weak spot today? Also gotta get out together soon. Been too long, lol.

A little bit of both. Slicing alot of drives, probably swinging to hard or over the top a little. Most of the drives were playable though. Had a line drive on hole three , (thought i was driving the greenl)that caught the steep hill going into the stream and rolled in. Irons were hit and miss, one minute I was puting them pin high from 120 out with the 7, next minute a duff. Same with the fairway woods. 170-190 yds one shot, duff 70 yards on the next. I caught my self jumping out of my shoes on more then one occassion. I would say the driver was hurting me the most yesterday just making for alot of tough 2nd shots from the rough.

It would be fun to head out to Columbus for a change of scenery to see what wisdom @Chetlovesmer has to offer while enjoying 18.

WITB:

5 hours ago, topoftheline89 said:

It would be fun to head out to Columbus for a change of scenery to see what wisdom @Chetlovesmer has to offer while enjoying 18.

Maybe we meet in the middle someplace???

Is there an interesting course half way between Dayton and Columbus? Gotta be something good, right? 

I'm not sure about Wisdom....  

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

19 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Is there an interesting course half way between Dayton and Columbus? Gotta be something good, right? 

You want a challenge, consider Reid Memorial Park's North Course in Springfield. It's been awhile since I played there, but that course is a bit of a brute. It's also not too expensive.

Note: This thread is 1631 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!