IGNORED

Thinnest top-line (non-blades)

Bonvivant
Note: This thread is 1677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've used several clubs, over the years, that I didn't like the look of...until I swung them and observed the result.  The ugliest club you've ever seem looks pretty nice after you've played a few good shots with it.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, Piz said:

I've used several clubs, over the years, that I didn't like the look of...until I swung them and observed the result.  The ugliest club you've ever seem looks pretty nice after you've played a few good shots with it.  

Years ago I took a beautiful Mizuno 6 iron, a gorgeous Titleist 6 iron and a butt ugly Callaway 6 iron to the driving range to try out.  I ended up buying a set of the Callaways.  I am not like that with cars.

8 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Years ago I took a beautiful Mizuno 6 iron, a gorgeous Titleist 6 iron and a butt ugly Callaway 6 iron to the driving range to try out.  I ended up buying a set of the Callaways.  I am not like that with cars.

I hear ya.  The big ass door on the passenger side of an AMC Pacer made a lot of sense...and visibility was off the chart...but Yeesh!   Compared to the Pacer the Gremlin was downright sporty.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

4 minutes ago, Piz said:

I hear ya.  The big ass door on the passenger side of an AMC Pacer made a lot of sense...and visibility was off the chart...but Yeesh!   Compared to the Pacer the Gremlin was downright sporty.

Yep.  The Callaway irons I bought were a cross between the Pacer, the Gremlin and the Yugo.  But they hit shots like a Mercedes.

2 hours ago, ShawnSum said:

Hearing your story about GI Irons vs Blades makes me wish I would have insisted on hitting some Blades when I went for my fitting. I hadn't played in a LONG time and told them that when I went in so I didn't even think about it at the time but honestly it's something that's always been in the back of my mind about Blades, the whole "have a smaller miss" thing since they are smaller. Which set did you end up going with?

I ended up going with Mizuno JPX 919 Forged.  I believe they are more of a players iron then a Blade.  They have some more forgiveness built into them then a traditional Blade.

I really like them

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

2 hours ago, billchao said:

Huh? Blades don't have a smaller miss because the clubhead is smaller. Clubs are made more forgiving by having more mass away from the sweetspot which requires a bigger clubhead.

I agree with your statement regarding mass and forgiveness.

For me the testing results from a Top 10 Fitter in the country and launch monitors unequivocally showed that smaller club faces performed better for me then larger ones. 

That is from the Driver thru irons.  The Cobra F7+ is a smaller head then the F7 and testing showed for me that I was a lot more consistent finding the center of the face with the Driver as well as Irons.

Isn't that what a Professional Fitter is supposed to do?  Concentrate on what works best for the individual golfer then going with what is marketed towards the masses?

Whatever club you consistently hit the sweet spot with is what you should be playing.  Not necessarily what club helps you when you hit off the toe or the heal.  If an SGI is that iron then play it.  But if it is a Blade then play it.  Why go to a Professional Fitter if you already are locked into a set type of golf club?  It doesn't make any sense at all.

To add from my personal experience, I have been fitted for irons twice and both times 2 different fitters told me the same thing, that I hit Blades better then GI or SGI clubs.  Hands down.

Remember @billchao specific situations will always blow up general statements.  Thus my point to @Bonvivant was to go into his fitting with an open mind.  What works for him may very well not work for anyone else.

2 hours ago, billchao said:

I wish that was how it works. I'd buy a set of Baby Blades right now...

It worked for me.  Without a doubt and I have absolutely no reason to lie or mislead. And it wasn't a feeling or it wasn't a want.  It was because I trusted the person and the very expensive equipment that they used for my fitting.  The Fitter had the sale no matter what I was going to buy, he knew that. 

My drop in handicap is not a joke as well.  I can without a doubt point to the fitting sessions I went thru and getting the clubs that came out of that as a testament to it.

Getting the right clubs is the key to helping lower scores no matter what type of club that is.

- Dean

Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6

3 minutes ago, djake said:

I agree with your statement regarding mass and forgiveness.

For me the testing results from a Top 10 Fitter in the country and launch monitors unequivocally showed that smaller club faces performed better for me then larger ones. 

That is from the Driver thru irons.  The Cobra F7+ is a smaller head then the F7 and testing showed for me that I was a lot more consistent finding the center of the face with the Driver as well as Irons.

Isn't that what a Professional Fitter is supposed to do?  Concentrate on what works best for the individual golfer then going with what is marketed towards the masses?

Whatever club you consistently hit the sweet spot with is what you should be playing.  Not necessarily what club helps you when you hit off the toe or the heal.  If an SGI is that iron then play it.  But if it is a Blade then play it.  Why go to a Professional Fitter if you already are locked into a set type of golf club?  It doesn't make any sense at all.

To add from my personal experience, I have been fitted for irons twice and both times 2 different fitters told me the same thing, that I hit Blades better then GI or SGI clubs.  Hands down.

Remember @billchao specific situations will always blow up general statements.  Thus my point to @Bonvivant was to go into his fitting with an open mind.  What works for him may very well not work for anyone else.

I don't doubt your experiences at all. Humans aren't robots and everyone reacts differently to different stimuli. If everyone responded to variations in clubs the same exact way, fitters wouldn't be necessary at all.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I’m not a fan of the real thick top lines like some of the Callaway clubs. But it’s actually just as much the large offset that seems to come with those thick clubs that I don’t like. I could get used to the thickness but the offset is what gets to me. 

I have to agree with you. I am no fan of offset on my irons (or any club for that matter.)

I hit the new Taylormade P790's (Player's distance Iron) and the 2017 P790's. The 2017 version has a little offset and a smallish head. The newer version has almost no offset at all, and a smallish head. The biggest difference I could find between the 2017 version and the new version was the decrease in offset. The P790's seem to fit a bunch of different handicap levels and they offer forgiveness. 

I ended up buying the 2019 Mizuno Hot Metal Pros... which I absolutely love btw. They have very little offset as well. That was the main difference between the JPX Hot Metal and the JPX Hot Metal Pros. The head on the pros is slightly smaller and there is less offset. 

I'm not a guy who really worries about the top line thickness. I just want the head to look small enough that I feel I can whip it through the rough if need be and as long as there isn't that offset which always makes me feel like its impossible to actually aim. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Just now, billchao said:

I don't doubt your experiences at all. Humans aren't robots and everyone reacts differently to different stimuli. If everyone responded to variations in clubs the same exact way, fitters wouldn't be necessary at all.

@billchaoI have respected your opinion on this forum and enjoyed reading your points as you always seamed to try and give the best advice possible.

But to say that you more then got me a little fired up is an understatement.  It was that easy for me, to just go out and get better players irons and they actually helped my game.  It was that easy for me.  Really was.

Now I have been playing this game for 50 years and I grew up when the only thing you played were what are considered Blades.  Maybe that has something to do with it.  

- Dean

Thanks again for all the great input guys. Keep it coming. Funny that you mention 50 years ago @djake, my set of irons before the Nikes were Sam Snead Blue Ridges. My dad started me on them with cut down sets. I think that I had 2 different cut down sets in my adolescence, and then was playing a full length set up until I got my current irons. Maybe that is why I tend to prefer the look as well... 

• Like 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

@Bonvivant I look forward to hearing about what you end up getting for irons as well as your experience working with a Fitter.  

- Dean

Note: This thread is 1677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!