IGNORED

How Many Wedges Do You Carry?

How many wedges do you carry?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How many wedges do you carry?

• 0 - What's a wedge?
    • 1 - I have my trusty Niblick and that's all I need.
    • 2 - Doesn't matter which two, but you'd think it would be PW and SW
    • 3 - Very common set up through the 80's and 90's.
    • 4 - Its good to have options
    • 5 - More options or is it because your PW is so delofted you had to stick in another gap wedge?
    • 6 or more - If you answer this, you'd better explain why.

I am absolutely hooked on the 58 54 set up. I tried the 52 56 60 set up but was not using them properly most likely and decided to blame the clubs and moved on. I went with the Callaway X-Forged vintage in 58/10 and 54/15. Amazing results so far.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Originally Posted by Danattherock

I just bought three Miura wedges from Chip Usher of Usher Golf in Savannah,Georgia.

...The new Miura wedges are 52.7, 56.9, and 60.7.

Dan, what shaft lengths did you get on your wedges? I play X20s, and you play X20 Tours (I have the specs).  Was wondering how far the Miuras fly in relation to the X20Tour PW, etc.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am a former 48-56-60 player who occasionally put a 52 in (but never for long) and went 48-54-60 to even out the gaps.  I am not looking back on this decision.  When I carried the 4 wedges I felt like I had too many options.  I liked the 52 for chipping, but not enough to keep it full time so it stayed in the garage most of its life.  Three years ago I decided to go with a 54 and it has turned out to be the most versatile club in my bag.  Great from the fairway and around the greens.  I use the 60 from the fairway and in the bunkers.  Carrying 4 wedges never helped my score out.  All my best rounds have come with 3.  With three it has simplified my game and I have really got back to feel and creativity (and I am an OCD numbers kind of guy).  This also allows me to carry a 2h and a 3i which are not hit as often, but they do have a purpose.  With the short game, it is really simple...you have to put in the time and practice.  I practice this more than anything else because this is where you score and save par.  A good short game keeps you in it when it's windy, and it allows you to go low when the conditions are perfect.

My comfortable full swing yardages are: 125, 105, 85 and then I have my gripped down distances and gripped down 3/4s.  I can hit all the gaps with these 3 swings and then can go down and hit 1/2s if needed.  It's all good now go practice!

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

All my clubs are 1.25" over and 2 deg up. My Miura wedges will be 1.25" over on the 52 and graduated in 1/4" increments down to the 60. I will play with them on Thursday. Curious if distance will change myself. Don't know what to expect honestly. Also, got the Nippon super peening blue shafts in the wedges and I don't know much of that shaft. Chip suggested it after talking to me.

-Dan

Originally Posted by delawson734

After reading Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible, I went to four wedges (52, 56, 60, and 64).  It takes an investment in time, but the results were well worth it.

im sure Dave mentions a 64* wedge for everone too right?

i just cant see what good a 64 is to ANYONE.......there are less than a handful of guys on tour with one...whats your purpose?

i bet you can do everything with your 60, that a 64 can do with a little more practice...GUARANTEED

Originally Posted by Danattherock

All my clubs are 1.25" over and 2 deg up. My Miura wedges will be 1.25" over on the 52 and graduated in 1/4" increments down to the 60. I will play with them on Thursday. Curious if distance will change myself. Don't know what to expect honestly. Also, got the Nippon super peening blue shafts in the wedges and I don't know much of that shaft. Chip suggested it after talking to me.

-Dan

1.25" over standard?? holy....you must be like 6'7" !!!!!

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Yep. 6'6" 282.

Having read Dave Pelz short game book, reading in it yesterday in fact. I can see why some folks would want a 64 deg wedge. However, for me, having 5 wedges is too much. Limits the longer club choices for sure. Dave mentioned in the book dropping a 6 iron out of the bag to make room for the 64. I find that my 60 can do pretty much anything around the green I want. Especially in the low bounce options like I use.

-Dan

I haven't read his book, but I really can't wrap my head around the idea of a 64* wedge.  I remember when the 60*s were new and they really caught on quick, but I don't think that will be the case here.  There is the law of diminishing returns and that seems to apply.  Of course, many could say that about my 3 iron as it sees action maybe once a round on average.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

A 56 degree can virtually become close to 60. A 60-degree with 8-degree bounce can become a 64....don't buy a 64!

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade:

I agree about the point of diminishing return.

I open up my low bounce 60 deg and hit the ball straight up it seems.

For that reason, I would not want a high bounce 60.

As for the 64, it seems on the PGA tour there is only one player using it. Phil.

49 degree Cleveland- 125yds full

54 bent to 52 Titleist Vokey- 110-115yds full, play this 3/4 to 1/2 with shots 80-100yds

56 Titleist Vokey- 90

Odd ball club I have had my whole life probably around 58 degree.  I use it out of the sand and around the green with tight lies.  I love it because of the bounce.

I like having a lot of options when attacking a green from 125 and in.  My creativity can really shine when I have a lot of options.

I seem to be all about the wedges right now. I carry only 2 58/10 and 54/15. I have a huge gap in my PW which is 45 deg. I think I am confusing myself about what to add. But I find myself on the course I always play at within 100-115 from the green on the par 4's on 2nd or 3rd shot. That being said I can't make the green with my 54/15 and hit it a bit long with my PW. I understand it is only 1 course I am talking about but I would have to assume other courses would be similar. I did frequent another course when I 1st started playing that had many par 4's and a few par 5's. Haven't played there in over a month.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

with my set of cobra irons, the pw is 44 degrees, and the gap wedge is 48.5 degrees. I tend to look at these irons as one club stronger than standard. I also have 52, 56, and 60 degree cg14's

nike sq dymo str8 fit 9.5º  stiff
cobra baffler 3 wood stiff / cobra baffler 18º hybrid stiff
cobra sz irons stiff (soon to be bridgestone j33)
Cleveland 52, 56, 60 cg14
odyssey 2 dot putter / taylormade penta tp, prov1, callaway hx tour (have a few boxes of each from the past couple seasons)

• 3 weeks later...
Just curious. How many wedges do you have in total? And how many do you usually bring on course? How do you utilize each of your wedge? Here's my line up. Nike Sumo2 Pw Nike Sumo2 Aw Taylormade XFT 56 Taylormade XFT 60 Cleveland CG15 52 I use my Sumo2 wedges for full swing lay up shots, they are from my old Nike set. Taylormade 56 for most recovery shots, bunkers, sometimes half swing within 50 yards. Taylormade 60 for deep bunkers and short chips. Just purchase a cg 15 to replace my Nike Aw. And planning to get a Ping G15 pitching wedge because all my irons are Ping G15. My old Nike sumo2 shafts are slightly longer that my Pw and Aw not compatible with my new Ping irons. I might also get rid of my Taylormade 60 because I find it is a club I can live without. What about you guys?

Driver SuperFast Burner 2.0  10.5 

Wood SuperFast Burner 2.0  15

nike.gif Hybrids SQ Sumo Hybrid #3, #4
ping.gifIrons G15 Iron #5 - Pw 
cleveland.gif Wedge CG15 50, 52, 56
odyssey.gifPutter White Steel 2 Ball SRT Putter

I have 4 wedges. A 46 pitch, a 50 vokey, a 57 sand wedge and a 60 taylormade. I use the 57 and 60 for sandtraps depending upon the amount of sand and length and all of them from 110m and in. I find the bounce on the sandwedge good for out of rough around the greens rather than the 60. I am not a strong ball striker of long irons and rely on my short game to get me up and down a lot. Since I replaced my 3 and 4 irons with hybrids my handicap has come down from 12 to 8.

4 wedges here: 48° MP33, 52° MD Golf Superstrong, 56° Vokey, 60° MD Superstrong.

The 52° is my 85-75m club, much easier than to throttle down the PW.

56 Vokey has the most bounce for fluffy sand shots.

60 is my most versatile club, since our course has very small greens. Most of the shots around the greens on my homecourse are with the 60.

I also use all of the clubs for chipping/pitching, depending on the fly-2-roll-ratio of the shot.

greetings

michi

"I have my own golf course and Par is whatever I say it is. There's a hole which is a Par13 and yesterday I damn nearly birdied that sucker." - Willie Nelson

13 and a putter !!!

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I started last season with the X20 PW, a CG14 50.08, and an XForged 56.14.

In August, I dropped the XForged and added CG14s of 54.12 and a 58.10. I might eventually go back to the 3-wedge setup if 4 ends up too much of a hassle.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades