IGNORED

How Many Wedges Do You Carry?

How many wedges do you carry?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How many wedges do you carry?

• 0 - What's a wedge?
    • 1 - I have my trusty Niblick and that's all I need.
    • 2 - Doesn't matter which two, but you'd think it would be PW and SW
    • 3 - Very common set up through the 80's and 90's.
    • 4 - Its good to have options
    • 5 - More options or is it because your PW is so delofted you had to stick in another gap wedge?
    • 6 or more - If you answer this, you'd better explain why.

I guess I should clarify. Pitching wedges counts as one of your wedges for this poll

Slowly building my set.

In my Vaporlite Bag:

Driver: SQ DYMO STR-8 FIT 10.5°Woods: R9 Fairway #3 15°Hybrid: Rescue Hybrid #3 19°Irons: R7 3-PWWedges: 588 DSG Gunmetal 56° Spin Milled 260.08Putter: Black Series Tour #2

I guess I should clarify. Pitching wedges counts as one of your wedges for this poll

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't :)

In my bag:

D: Burner 2009 10.5˚
3W: Burner 2009 15˚
5W: Burner 2008 18˚R: Rescue Burner 25˚I: X-20 (4-SW)W: CG12 52˚P: Black #2

I did count my pitching wedge, so I answered 4. I think 4 would be winning if people would have counted their PW.

Anyway, I carry a PW (matched to my set), a 52-8, 56-11, and a 60-6. When I replace my 60 I'll probably get one with more bounce, like 8 deg or even 10 degrees.

--------------------------
"There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- Those who can count, and those who can't."

3 now, thinking about ditching the PW and going to a 46 52 58 64 type setup

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

I carry 4 wedges!

PW 47*
GW 52*
SW 56*
LW 60*

I ditched the 3 iron to put the gap wedge in, best decision i have made!

TITLEIST 909 D2 10.5* VOODOO STIFF FLEX
TAYLORMADE R9 TP 3 WOOD STIFF FLEX
COBRA BAFFLER PRO 19* STIFF FLEX
TITLEIST 695MB 3-PW STIFF FLEX
TITLEIST VOKEY BLACK NICKEL 52*TITLEIST VOKEY SPIN MILLED 56.10 & 60.04SCOTTY CAMERON 2.6 NEWPORT PUTTERCALLAWAY TOUR IX GOLF BALLTAYLORMADE R7 TP TOUR BAGC...

I carry 4 and I am going to buy and carry a 5th soon.

I carry the PW with my set (125), then my 53 bent to 51 (110), 60 bent to 58 (90) then my 64 (70). I am going to add a vokey SM 56.11 and that will be my 100 yard club.

Brian

Four ... PW, 52*, 56* SW and 60* lob.

I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

Whenever I'm 50 yards or less, I always seem to carry my ball past the hole with my SW.

Patient: "Dr, it hurts when I do this, what should I do?" Dr: "Don't do that......" If your problem is that you tend to hit it too far when you're inside 50 yds, I suggest that you don't hit it inside 50 yds. I know that the tendency, especially with new golfers is to think that closer is always better, but that's not necessarily true. If you hit your SW 75 yds as an example, pick an approach shot that leaves you at 75 yds. Remember, in order to get to that tough 50 yd shot, you had to hit it past that easier 75 yd shot. BTW......I'd rather see you try a hybrid to replace that 5 wood than to put a 4th wedge in the bag. I'm a "simple is better" kind of guy and generally think that too many wedge options causes more problems than it solves for most golfers.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I carry 4 wedges:

47* PW 52* 56* 60*
BTW......I'd rather see you try a hybrid to replace that 5 wood than to put a 4th wedge in the bag. I'm a "simple is better" kind of guy and generally think that too many wedge options causes more problems than it solves for most golfers.

IMO having more wedges is simpler than having to focus on fine tuning distance control for a club or two. With four wedges full and half swings only I get the following distances:

125 110 100 85 75 60 45 30 If I just had PW and SW I would only have 125 100 75 45 All the rest of the distances would be a "guess" or "feel" shot. I am personally a lot more comfortable going 7 yards up or down feel wise (with 4 wedges) than 15 yards up or down on feel (with two wedges) at my current level. "Simple" is always a function of perspective and experience. Regards, -E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

When I'm carrying 14 clubs, I usually bring 4 wedges:
46* PW
50* 54* 58* (see sig)

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Gone from 4 to 3 this season.

Used to have: PW (48º), 52º, 56.12 and 60.03
Now will use: PW (48º), 52.08, 58.12

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

So... Why isn't the pitching wedge a wedge? That just seems silly to me as it's called a pitching

Well, yeah, techically, you are right, for sure. But I was looking at it from the point of view that the PW is connected to my iron set.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

"Simple" is always a function of perspective and experience.

If by that you mean that someone with greater experience may find simplicity where someone without the perspective of that greater experience would not, I absolutely agree. That's why I believe that less experienced golfers should consider fewer options rather than more, and concentrate on executing those options to a higher standard. Think of it from your perspective as an engineer. Assuming a single desired outcome (ball close to the hole), is that outcome going to be achieved more often (repeatability) if the process involves more variables, or fewer? I'd argue the latter. From my perspective a golfer doesn't need all those interim distances short of the green if he/she manages his/her game properly. Rather than hitting to 60 yds, lay back to 75. Rather than hitting to 30 yds, lay back to 45. There's no need to refine anything, just pick one less club. As I said, most newer golfers tend to equate "closer" with "better"......and as someone who's not particularly long, I understand that tendency. The experience to which you refer will eventually teach them that that's not necessarily the case because ultimately, the goal is to get the ball into the hole in the fewest possible shots, not to get as close to the green as possible in the fewest shots. Note...... No failed attempt at humor this time like the last 60* wedge crack that you didn't like!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I carry four:

From my AP2 set, these are used for full swings only so really are my 10 and 11 irons ;)
PW 47* (125 yards)
GW 51* (110 yards)

My scoring clubs are my real wedges:
SW 54* (95 yards)
LW 58* (never full swing with this)

I've got my yardages under 95 yards covered by either the SW or LW. Around the green, I almost always chip with one of these two and use both out of sand as needed too. My 58* is great, can be laid way open for very high soft shots (so don't need/want a 60* or more), very versatile grind; I love chipping with it, typically flying the ball pretty close to the hole.

When laying up, I don't try and necessarily hold back to a fixed yardage - I look forward to being only 30-50 yards out, feel like I can/should get it close every time from there.

909D2 10.5º Ozik X-Con 5 Stiff
949MC 14º Blueboard 73 Stiff
20º 4DX-3IWS Ironwood Stiff
AP2 Project X 5.5 (4-PW, 51º GW)
Vokey 54º-10 Spin Milled X-Tour 58º-11 PM MDByron Morgan 006 Oil Can putter

From my

Course management is of course key. As someone who is working diligently on thier game I understand as I am sure that you do as well

golf is a game of managed misses. That being said, if I need to lay up again I agree to play to one distance (45y is my prefered layup) however, given my ability that can easily become 60y or 30y (though the range is getting smaller) also on a course that I am not familiar with I may forget to factor in elevation changes and the like that leave the shot playing to a different distance than planned. This is where I branch off an say that a multi wedge set up is simpler. With only a wedge that goes 45y on a half swing I have entered into a swing modfication that is ultimately analog and has an infinate ammount of change that I need to increase or decrease with a certain margin of error. On the other hand, I can just grab a different club and make the same swing (to the extent it is repeatable, based on practice) with a different (smaller for some) margin of error. As an engineer, this is truely the simpler model for me.
As I said, most newer golfers tend to equate "closer" with "better"......and as someone who's not particularly long, I understand that tendency. The

This was not my intent. Simply put, I manage my misses better by having more discrete options (less variables) of one swing length, one distances, four clubs. Than I do by having analog options (more variables) variable swing length (every fraction of a fraction of an inch is a new variable), two clubs.

That being said, I know the importance of feel distance control to obtaining a low handicap and if someone is more of a "creative type" player I expect that fewer wedges will work better, for the more "mechanical type" I offer that more wedges may be better. Most importantly, knowing what type of golfer you are is what is most important in determining what is simplist for you and as we see week in and week out by the top professionals there is definately more than one way to skin a cat. Regards, -E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....