IGNORED

Preventing Thick/Wet Grass from Grabbing the Club

Note: This thread is 1640 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hidden skill of this game number 141...dealing with the grass.

A friend told me to twitch my right hand closed at the moment of contact to fight the effects of tall or wet grass.  Is this a thing?

Currently, my method for dealing with long or wet grass is to strengthen my right hand grip and hope for the best then curse when lose a stroke to a twisted-open club face. What do you do to combat this kind of thing?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In the thick stuff the club head will act like a plow:  the share not pointing at the mule's hind end.  The face will be open to the line to compensate for the resistance of the soil.  Pick an angle and maintain it thru contact.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

25 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

A friend told me to twitch my right hand closed at the moment of contact to fight the effects of tall or wet grass.  Is this a thing?

Seriously?   Swinging at 90 mph or faster and you can focus and concentrate on a twitch?   I'm very impressed...:content:

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, Cantankerish said:

No.

1 hour ago, Cantankerish said:

Currently, my method for dealing with long or wet grass is to strengthen my right hand grip and hope for the best then curse when lose a stroke to a twisted-open club face. What do you do to combat this kind of thing?

I swing harder. But I also sucked out of the Bermuda rough when I was down in FL. Mostly just struggled to get good contact on the ball.

49 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Seriously?   Swinging at 90 mph or faster and you can focus and concentrate on a twitch?   I'm very impressed...:content:

It's actually physically impossible.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Most importantly, hit down on the ball. With a sweeping motion into the ball, anything behind the ball is guaranteed to be in the way. This mostly comes down to weight forward, but can also be caused by many other components.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

(edited)
12 hours ago, billchao said:

I swing harder. But I also sucked out of the Bermuda rough when I was down in FL. Mostly just struggled to get good contact on the ball.

That is a good point. I think I have only ever played in Bermuda. I mean, these are all helpful responses, but I suppose there may be no simple solution.  Even pros struggle with this stuff.

For the record, I do not think it is as big an issue on full strength swings.  It is a pitching and chipping issue, mostly.  Simply swinging harder is not much of an option...unless you are recommending using extra high lofted clubs.

Edited by Cantankerish

Depending on the thickness, and the height of the stuff, my first thought is to just get out of the mess, and back to a more playable ball lie.

Getting distance from this type of lie is not a priority. Getting out of it is. 

My best swing is usually with a wedge, and a much steeper down swing angle. I am trying miss as much brush as possible, while trying to get more club face on the ball. 

The less brush I hit on the steeper down swing, the less effect it has on the heavier wedge club head. 

For me to go for distance, the grass/brush can't be very much higher than the ball, and certainly not much taller than the club face I am using.

Coming in horizontally to this type ball lie takes a lot of talent, strength, and usually an answered request from that great golfer in the sky. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• iacas changed the title to Preventing Thick/Wet Grass from Grabbing the Club
Note: This thread is 1640 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!