phedrick

Replacing Softspikes

13 posts / 1092 viewsLast Reply

Getting ready to replace softspikes on my Footjoy's.  What should I look for?  Are there really any differences that I should watch out for?

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

AND.. you might need one of those "ripper" wrenches. It has teeth to grab the softspike. A normal spike wrench will just rip the holes on the existing spikes.

The last two pairs of Footjoys I owned came with el cheapo spikes that picked up grass clippings by the pound and you would get taller.  I couldn't wait to replace them and when I did I got the Champ style softspike, those are great.  I use the flat metal inexpensive spike wrench to pry out the old spikes, but after about four spikes my hands are hurting so I wear heavy winter gloves to protect my hands.

I also have Footjoy shoes and changing the spikes can be a pain in the ass. Usually the little holes where the tool goes in are clogged with dirt, sometimes you can't even find the holes. Once I do find them I use a tee to dig out the dirt to try and use the tools. If that doesn't work I use a pair of needle nose pliers, that always works for the hard ones.

13 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

I also have Footjoy shoes and changing the spikes can be a pain in the ass. Usually the little holes where the tool goes in are clogged with dirt, sometimes you can't even find the holes. Once I do find them I use a tee to dig out the dirt to try and use the tools. If that doesn't work I use a pair of needle nose pliers, that always works for the hard ones.

Brilliant spike-changing minds think alike!  I, too, have used needle nose pliers to back the spike out at times.  Also, I use a nail when the little hole is plugged with a small rock.  Ever encounter that?

Metal threaded screw-in spikes were never a problem.  And they sounded a lot better in the parking lot.

23 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Brilliant spike-changing minds think alike!  I, too, have used needle nose pliers to back the spike out at times.  Also, I use a nail when the little hole is plugged with a small rock.  Ever encounter that?

Metal threaded screw-in spikes were never a problem.  And they sounded a lot better in the parking lot.

Yes I have, usually a little white rock plugs the hole.

On 1/17/2020 at 1:45 PM, cooke119 said:

Good point!  I also end up using needle nose pliers on mine.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/16/2020 at 6:36 PM, phedrick said:

Getting ready to replace softspikes on my Footjoy's.  What should I look for?  Are there really any differences that I should watch out for?

I don't think anyone has answered his original question. Even Footjoys have different threads and thread patterns (eg fast twist, tour lock, pins, etc.)  Figure that out first, and what kind of spikes you need. Then you can figure out how to remove the old ones and then replace with new.

I use Pulsar Sofspikes in all my shoes.  Comfortable, good traction and give a decent life. After each round I carefully rinse off the bottom of my shoes and scrub clean with a stiff bristle brush.  This prevents the crud build-up which makes changing spikes difficult. A couple minutes maintenance goes a long way. 

On 1/17/2020 at 2:01 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

You're like me! I miss those sounds as well. The sound of metal spikes crunching in a gravel parking lot or clicking and clacking on concrete. You could be totally blind and know exactly where you were by the sounds and smells! 

On 1/19/2020 at 2:21 AM, paperclip said:

I don't think anyone has answered his original question. Even Footjoys have different threads and thread patterns (eg fast twist, tour lock, pins, etc.)  Figure that out first, and what kind of spikes you need. Then you can figure out how to remove the old ones and then replace with new.

True! I wear FootJoy pretty much exclusively. A couple of years ago they changed their spikes. I don't think my old wrench even fits any more! Not really sure since the new spikes do seem to last a bit longer. Plus, I have to get my wrench back from my buddy since I lent it to him.