IGNORED

Replacing Softspikes

Note: This thread is 1565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Getting ready to replace softspikes on my Footjoy's.  What should I look for?  Are there really any differences that I should watch out for?

• :callaway: Callaway Epic Flash Driver.  Epic Flash 3 Wood.  GBB Flash 5 wood.  Epic Flash 4 Hybrid
  • :cleveland: Cleveland Launcher HB Irons, 4 through PW. CBX2 Wedges, 54 & 60 degree.
  • :seemore:  Seemore Si1 putter.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

AND.. you might need one of those "ripper" wrenches. It has teeth to grab the softspike. A normal spike wrench will just rip the holes on the existing spikes.

• iacas changed the title to Replacing Softspikes

The last two pairs of Footjoys I owned came with el cheapo spikes that picked up grass clippings by the pound and you would get taller.  I couldn't wait to replace them and when I did I got the Champ style softspike, those are great.  I use the flat metal inexpensive spike wrench to pry out the old spikes, but after about four spikes my hands are hurting so I wear heavy winter gloves to protect my hands.

I also have Footjoy shoes and changing the spikes can be a pain in the ass. Usually the little holes where the tool goes in are clogged with dirt, sometimes you can't even find the holes. Once I do find them I use a tee to dig out the dirt to try and use the tools. If that doesn't work I use a pair of needle nose pliers, that always works for the hard ones.

• Informative 1

13 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

I also have Footjoy shoes and changing the spikes can be a pain in the ass. Usually the little holes where the tool goes in are clogged with dirt, sometimes you can't even find the holes. Once I do find them I use a tee to dig out the dirt to try and use the tools. If that doesn't work I use a pair of needle nose pliers, that always works for the hard ones.

Brilliant spike-changing minds think alike!  I, too, have used needle nose pliers to back the spike out at times.  Also, I use a nail when the little hole is plugged with a small rock.  Ever encounter that?

Metal threaded screw-in spikes were never a problem.  And they sounded a lot better in the parking lot.

• Like 1

Have the shoes sit in in hot water up to spikes to loosen all debris. 

• Like 1

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Thank you everyone for your feedback

• :callaway: Callaway Epic Flash Driver.  Epic Flash 3 Wood.  GBB Flash 5 wood.  Epic Flash 4 Hybrid
  • :cleveland: Cleveland Launcher HB Irons, 4 through PW. CBX2 Wedges, 54 & 60 degree.
  • :seemore:  Seemore Si1 putter.

23 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Brilliant spike-changing minds think alike!  I, too, have used needle nose pliers to back the spike out at times.  Also, I use a nail when the little hole is plugged with a small rock.  Ever encounter that?

Metal threaded screw-in spikes were never a problem.  And they sounded a lot better in the parking lot.

Yes I have, usually a little white rock plugs the hole.

On 1/17/2020 at 1:45 PM, cooke119 said:

Good point!  I also end up using needle nose pliers on mine.

On 1/16/2020 at 6:36 PM, phedrick said:

Getting ready to replace softspikes on my Footjoy's.  What should I look for?  Are there really any differences that I should watch out for?

I don't think anyone has answered his original question. Even Footjoys have different threads and thread patterns (eg fast twist, tour lock, pins, etc.)  Figure that out first, and what kind of spikes you need. Then you can figure out how to remove the old ones and then replace with new.

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

I use Pulsar Sofspikes in all my shoes.  Comfortable, good traction and give a decent life. After each round I carefully rinse off the bottom of my shoes and scrub clean with a stiff bristle brush.  This prevents the crud build-up which makes changing spikes difficult. A couple minutes maintenance goes a long way. 

On 1/17/2020 at 2:01 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

You're like me! I miss those sounds as well. The sound of metal spikes crunching in a gravel parking lot or clicking and clacking on concrete. You could be totally blind and know exactly where you were by the sounds and smells! 

On 1/19/2020 at 2:21 AM, paperclip said:

I don't think anyone has answered his original question. Even Footjoys have different threads and thread patterns (eg fast twist, tour lock, pins, etc.)  Figure that out first, and what kind of spikes you need. Then you can figure out how to remove the old ones and then replace with new.

True! I wear FootJoy pretty much exclusively. A couple of years ago they changed their spikes. I don't think my old wrench even fits any more! Not really sure since the new spikes do seem to last a bit longer. Plus, I have to get my wrench back from my buddy since I lent it to him. 

Note: This thread is 1565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!