IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

1 hour ago, May Jonahan said:

PIF is 100% calling a lot of the shots. They just figured it's easier to give Jay the reigns as opposed to having Norman fight everyone

I’m an idiot regarding the legalities and details of this merger. But what shots will the PIF really call? They had a disgruntled, narcissistic CEO who couldn’t get the ratings of a Good Times rerun. They have people on the PGAT side who have been running golf for years. I don’t see the PIF heads setting rules for tournaments/players at all. Does this make sense?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

36 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I’m an idiot regarding the legalities and details of this merger. But what shots will the PIF really call? They had a disgruntled, narcissistic CEO who couldn’t get the ratings of a Good Times rerun. They have people on the PGAT side who have been running golf for years. I don’t see the PIF heads setting rules for tournaments/players at all. Does this make sense?

I’m wondering of all that too. I think Jay will do his normal thing and day to day operations. Any “bigger” decisions would need PIF approval. He’s there because he has been doing it a long time and Greg wasn’t cutting it. But PIF is now the real boss of it all. 

It really seems like PGAT did not have enough money to keep doing what they were. They made elevated events with bigger purses without truly having the money to do that. Add in legal fees only made them dig into reserves faster than they would have. They needed money and PIF was clearly there to say they were interested. 

• Like 2

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I phrased it wrong, but Jay I think reports directly to Yasir who has the ultimate discretion 

Edited by May Jonahan

• Administrator
1 hour ago, May Jonahan said:

I phrased it wrong, but Jay I think reports directly to Yasir who has the ultimate discretion 

The chairman isn't the CEO's boss. The PGA Tour will (supposedly) have control of the board, and it'd take the board (not just the chairman) to vote Jay out.

I'm not a corporate governance person, but I think that's generally true. The chairman has power, but not ultimate power.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

The chairman isn't the CEO's boss. The PGA Tour will (supposedly) have control of the board, and it'd take the board (not just the chairman) to vote Jay out.

I'm not a corporate governance person, but I think that's generally true. The chairman has power, but not ultimate power.

It's confusing. I could see why the players are so frustrated because outside Jay, Yasir, and Jimmy Dunne no one really knows the details of this deal

• Like 1

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, May Jonahan said:

It's confusing. I could see why the players are so frustrated because outside Jay, Yasir, and Jimmy Dunne no one really knows the details of this deal

And Ed Herlihy.

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

22 hours ago, Vinsk said:

PIF won't be involved in day-to-day operations or running tournaments. But I'm sure they'll be involved in larger strategic decisions. For example, I'm guessing they'll want an event or two in Saudi Arabia. Maybe they will want a feeder tour based in Saudi Arabia. I bet deciding what happens to players who left for LIV is another thing. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

9 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I bet deciding what happens to players who left for LIV is another thing. 

It think it is a high probability that the LIV players get left out to dry. They could have just been pawns by the Saudi's to get to this point. It could be, they will be left up to the PGA Tour to decide the outcome.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

5 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

It think it is a high probability that the LIV players get left out to dry. They could have just been pawns by the Saudi's to get to this point. It could be, they will be left up to the PGA Tour to decide the outcome.

There has to be a way back for LIV players. If LIV goes away, and all the major tour ban LIV golfers indefinitely, there will be another antitrust lawsuit by LIV players, and it will have a much higher probability of success. Fines, suspensions, or anything else short of a total ban could be in the cards. A total ban isn't going to happen.

Plus, if you're PIF, do you want a pissed-off Phil running his mouth?

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

4 hours ago, Dr. Manhattan said:

the new indoor simulator league. 

If the LIV format wasn't a winner, this will surely be a good replacement!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

9 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

There has to be a way back for LIV players. If LIV goes away, and all the major tour ban LIV golfers indefinitely, there will be another antitrust lawsuit by LIV players, and it will have a much higher probability of success. Fines, suspensions, or anything else short of a total ban could be in the cards. A total ban isn't going to happen.

If I was the PGA Tour, I would write up a new players contract before LIV players come back. I would wipe clean the exemptions for winning tournaments of any non-current PGA Tour player, and get rid of the LIV player PGA Tour cards. Then require them to go through Q-School or get sponsor exemptions to play. Force them to start over like they are a brand new PGA Tour player. You are now at year zero. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

And so it begins......

5379.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8

A US senator is demanding the PGA Tour and Saudi Arabia’s LIV Golf present records about the negotiations that led to their planned merger

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

8 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Plus, if you're PIF, do you want a pissed-off Phil running his mouth?

If you're Phil, do you want a pissed-off PIF?  I believe he said something like "these are some scary mf-ers to get involved with."

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

6 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

If you're Phil, do you want a pissed-off PIF?  I believe he said something like "these are some scary mf-ers to get involved with."

Phil has no credibility whatsoever. He’ll say anything or do anything for an easy buck. He only joined LIV to pay off his gambling debts 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Elmer said:

And so it begins......

5379.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8

A US senator is demanding the PGA Tour and Saudi Arabia’s LIV Golf present records about the negotiations that led to their planned merger

Ugh. Just what we need. In what universe is this an important enough topic for Congress to get involved? I want my money back.

Edited by chspeed

1 hour ago, chspeed said:

Ugh. Just what we need. In what universe is this an important enough topic for Congress to get involved? I want my money back.

Agree, Congress is a bit much. But the DOJ does get involved in cases involving monopolies, so there is some precedent.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

743938E8-1E8C-45E8-A6FE-FAB6E2B1A18F.jpeg

I got this in an email this evening from my PGA Section. So many people confuse the two. Sad that this had to be sent out. But hopefully people start to use the names properly more often. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!