IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

I don’t expect that LIV will really hurt the PGA tour much.  The guys who have that drive to be the best in the world will want to make the PGA tour and share the history of Hagen, Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, Tiger (including quite a few others).  You can’t be the best if you don’t play against and beat the best.

Very few people can really write their names in the history books in a significant way. Was Talor Gooch going to do much of that? No.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, iacas said:

What makes you think that? I don't think so.

I’m not so sure the Saudis care that much about improving their reputation that they will just toss money around.

Money may not be the full motivation, but I do think they definitely want to be a major player in the mega billion dollar sports industry.

And I think they want control and not have adhere to any established rules, agreements, or answer to anyone; i.e. Premier League backlash.

But I could just as easily be wrong.

John

• Administrator
1 minute ago, 70sSanO said:

I’m not so sure the Saudis care that much about improving their reputation that they will just toss money around.

That's exactly what they're doing.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Very few people can really write their names in the history books in a significant way. Was Talor Gooch going to do much of that? No.

Yea, he’s not one of those guys.  He’s probably early 30s, and maybe a win or two on the PGA?  The LIV route makes sense for him.

Rahm, Rory, JT… guys like that can find their name high up in the books and be part of discussion for decades to come.  But then again DJ and Bryson made the jump, and I think they could have done the same.

I’m not hating on anyone for making the jump.  But the aforementioned DJ and Bryson jumps, I don’t really get.  Doesn’t really matter if I get it or not though.

8 hours ago, iacas said:

It's official.  Brooks Koepka to LIV.

Wonder if he's taking his brother's spot, or if he negotiated a package deal to keep Chase in the upcoming fields

-Eric

7 minutes ago, Friz said:

It's official.  Brooks Koepka to LIV.

Wonder if he's taking his brother's spot, or if he negotiated a package deal to keep Chase in the upcoming fields

I haven't really kept track, but isn't this something like 5 or 6 relatively well-known players who have joined LIV since the London tournament?  Doesn't that mean that something like 6 players from the London tournament are out of work, with no place to earn a living?  Is the Hooters tour still in existence?

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I haven't really kept track, but isn't this something like 5 or 6 relatively well-known players who have joined LIV since the London tournament?  Doesn't that mean that something like 6 players from the London tournament are out of work, with no place to earn a living?  Is the Hooters tour still in existence?

They weren't PGA Tour players before, and they can play the Asian Tour, possibly the European Tour… etc.

Now Brooks 😏

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0520%2Fr1015250_

Four-time major champion Brooks Koepka is the latest golfer to defect from the PGA...

Edit:  sorry, I posted this without seeing posts above already reporting this 

I wonder now that the US Open is behind us if the flood gates will open

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

9 hours ago, 70sSanO said:

Money may not be the full motivation, but I do think they definitely want to be a major player in the mega billion dollar sports industry.

And I think they want control and not have adhere to any established rules, agreements, or answer to anyone; i.e. Premier League backlash.

But I could just as easily be wrong.

John

Reputation and having more influence in the world. LIV is clearly not financially viable at this point. They don’t just offer more money than the PGAT, they are giving players millions and prepared to give a billion to the right names. How long would they have to run the tour to make that kind of money back, based on ticket sales, merch, sponsors and broadcasting deals?

They are sitting on huge amounts of money and in those countries it mainly benefit the ones at the top. It’s not about the country or spreading the wealth. They are pumping money out of the ground and can throw huge amounts at the largest sports to gain reputation and influence.

Sports has gone from being about the teams or individuals to be about money. Look at football (soccer, for Americans). Huge amounts of money coming from oligarks, sheiks and princes. Teams can go from below average to winning championships because they suddenly can afford the best players in the world.

Edited by Zeph

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I was a little surprised when Brooks went, since he seems to thrive on the competition more than anything, but at this point there's enough competition over there that he'll probably be satisfied...I guess?

I'm not optimistic how this is all going to turn out.  It would be shame if the PGA Tour turned into just an audition, where you go to get famous before joining LIV.

- John

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

I was a little surprised when Brooks went, since he seems to thrive on the competition more than anything, but at this point there's enough competition over there that he'll probably be satisfied...I guess?

I wasn't. He's a douche, and he thinks he'll qualify to play in the majors forever, probably.

Might not even get to play the 2023 Masters, though.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

I'm not optimistic how this is all going to turn out.  It would be shame if the PGA Tour turned into just an audition, where you go to get famous before joining LIV.

Interesting - I hadn't considered anything like that, but for guys driven by money, rather than records/legacy, I could see that potential for the younger generations just now coming through

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

15 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Why do you think he was so defensive and childish at the pre-round US OPEN press conference? He didn’t want to talk about LIV because  he knew damn well he was going there.

• Like 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

A couple of thoughts / questions. (I am a fan but a non-golfer, so forgive any mis-statements on my part.) 

(1) Even if LIV events are ultimately awarded OWGR points, they wouldn’t get MANY points, right, based on strength of field? So the defectors are almost bound to drop steadily in the world rankings? 

(2) The one I really don’t get is James Piot. How is he going to become a big-name star golfer (with endorsements, magazine covers, etc) absent the prestige of PGA Tour wins / competitiveness? And this raises the larger question, can LIV create new stars? 

(3) Since the initial flurry of interest in LIV events will surely die down, are the Saudis actually interested in building a PRODUCT that will have marked appeal for fans / viewers? I’m not picking up that vibe. Viability in any sense seems secondary at best. 

Edited by PatrickMurtha

4 minutes ago, PatrickMurtha said:

A couple of thoughts / questions. (I am a fan but a non-golfer, so forgive any mis-statements on my part.) 

(1) Even if LIV events are ultimately awarded OWGR points, they wouldn’t get MANY points, right, based on strength of field? So the defectors are almost bound to drop steadily in the world rankings? 

(2) The one I really don’t get is James Piot. How is he going to become a big-name star golfer (with endorsements, magazine covers, etc) absent the prestige of PGA Tour wins / competitiveness? And this raises the larger question, can LIV create new stars? 

(3) Since the initial flurry of interest in LIV events will surely die down, are the Saudis actually interested in building a PRODUCT that will have marked appeal for fans / viewers? I’m not picking up that vibe. Viability in any sense seems secondary at best. 

I think normal business risks are simply not a big factor at this point for LIV. With that kind of financial backing they can pretty much just get the ball rolling and see how it goes. They have the luxury of just testing this out without concerns of losses.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I think normal business risks are simply not a big factor at this point for LIV. With that kind of financial backing they can pretty much just get the ball rolling and see how it goes. They have the luxury of just testing this out without concerns of losses.

The virtually unlimited money is definitely the wild card here. The record for rival leagues / circuits in other sports, going all the way back to baseball in the late 19th Century, is simply not good, and might have given some of the defectors pause if they thought about such things. But no such rival has ever been so well-funded.