IGNORED

Skins Game Antics

Greg DeValk
Note: This thread is 1542 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recently played in a skins game.  Just 3 people of 4 was in.  Almost every time we were all on the green, the 4th guy not playing the skins game, was farther from hole but always on the same line as the 3rd guy.  So in essence, the 3rd guy got to see his putting line 14 out of 18 times and made 13 of the 14 he saw the line on.  Is this fair for the other 2 guys playing in the skins game or am I just being a poor sport by mentioning this in the first place?  note: when the 4th guy was on the other side of the hole from the 3rd guy who made all the putts,  the 4th guy would hit his putt too hard and would end up on the same line as the 3rd guy but farther from the hole.  Just wondering what y'all think about this! Thanks G 

Depends.  Is the 4th guy doing this on purpose or is it just luck?

When my club does our match play tournament, we try to fill foursomes by each bringing another player (so we don't get public pairings that would affect the match).  Some players like to ask the other two to wait until the players in the match have finished on the green to play their putting;  other times, they just play in order and if you see the line from someone, as long as that person didn't chip behind you to give you the line, it's fine. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Greg DeValk said:

Recently played in a skins game.  Just 3 people of 4 was in.  Almost every time we were all on the green, the 4th guy not playing the skins game, was farther from hole but always on the same line as the 3rd guy.  So in essence, the 3rd guy got to see his putting line 14 out of 18 times and made 13 of the 14 he saw the line on.  Is this fair for the other 2 guys playing in the skins game or am I just being a poor sport by mentioning this in the first place?  note: when the 4th guy was on the other side of the hole from the 3rd guy who made all the putts,  the 4th guy would hit his putt too hard and would end up on the same line as the 3rd guy but farther from the hole.  Just wondering what y'all think about this! Thanks G 

I wouldn't have liked this one bit. Could be dumb luck but still, unfair. Should have decided at the beginning of the round that the person not in the game putts last always

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

2 hours ago, Shindig said:

Depends.  Is the 4th guy doing this on purpose or is it just luck?

When my club does our match play tournament, we try to fill foursomes by each bringing another player (so we don't get public pairings that would affect the match).  Some players like to ask the other two to wait until the players in the match have finished on the green to play their putting;  other times, they just play in order and if you see the line from someone, as long as that person didn't chip behind you to give you the line, it's fine. 

OK, Let me introduce just a little bit of reason in the proceedings!  Just how "skilled" is this "4th guy"?! Think about it! He can put his ball on the green just behind the long putter on a scramble team? Are you guys delusional or what?! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

OK, Let me introduce just a little bit of reason in the proceedings!  Just how "skilled" is this "4th guy"?! Think about it! He can put his ball on the green just behind the long putter on a scramble team? Are you guys delusional or what?! 

I have to admit, that was my first thought too!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

22 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

No kidding.  Thinking this guy who was no in the skins must be one hell of a player to be able to put 14 shots on the greens in the perfect spot to help someone else.  I am calling BS on this.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

On 1/28/2020 at 5:12 PM, Greg DeValk said:

I’ve run into this. I’ve been the 4th guy and knowing the guys have skins on the line I’ll putt last if I’m on the same line. And of course if I have my own line and I’m away I’ll putt first.

If the fourth guy was that skilled, he should have gotten in the game, and taken all the skins. Also, if the third guy was skilled enough to finish 13 of 14, it sounds like you guys got hustled.

On 1/28/2020 at 5:12 PM, Greg DeValk said:

So in essence, the 3rd guy got to see his putting line 14 out of 18 times and made 13 of the 14 he saw the line on.  

15 hours ago, Sandy Divot said:

If the fourth guy was that skilled, he should have gotten in the game, and taken all the skins. Also, if the third guy was skilled enough to finish 13 of 14, it sounds like you guys got hustled.

How close was guy #3 on these?  Even the best players in the world won't make 13 of 14 from 10 feet, that just doesn't happen!

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On 1/29/2020 at 8:25 PM, Sandy Lie said:

I’ve run into this. I’ve been the 4th guy and knowing the guys have skins on the line I’ll putt last if I’m on the same line. And of course if I have my own line and I’m away I’ll putt first.

Well, yeah! That's the way we do it too. My buddy is aces on a putt where he can see the line ahead of time. What I took the post to mean, was that this guy "who was not in the skins game" managed to place his approach in the perfect spot to aid his team! Could he possibly be that skilled/ And what do you want to bet he was getting a share?

On 1/28/2020 at 6:25 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

Are you guys delusional or what?! 

This......

On 1/30/2020 at 8:56 AM, DaveP043 said:

How close was guy #3 on these?  Even the best players in the world won't make 13 of 14 from 10 feet, that just doesn't happen!

This....

Note: This thread is 1542 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!