IGNORED

PGA Tour Courses

Rick Graham
Note: This thread is 1505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Seems like every week the winning score on tour is 25 under par, refreshing to see the Honda Classic is playing tough but why aren't the top players playing?  It looks like we have 4 players out of the top 20 in the world are playing this tournament,  todays top pros do not want to play tough courses, or courses with legitimate rough.

(edited)

Let's see, the top players generally play the WGS events, so most of them played last in Mexico.  After this we have the Arnold Palmer Invitational, and then the Players, which most top guys will play.The top guys tend to space out their tournaments, to avoid burn-out, so they either need to skip the API, or the Honda.  Nobody is going to play 4 weeks in a row, at least not the top players,

Oh, welcome to TST! :beer:

Edited by DaveP043
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Since Tiger is not playing in the API, I stand a good chance of not having to wait too long for a beer. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

• iacas changed the title to PGA Tour Courses
On 5/21/2018 at 11:09 PM, Vinsk said:

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Let's see, the top players generally play the WGS events, so most of them played last in Mexico.  After this we have the Arnold Palmer Invitational, and then the Players, which most top guys will play.The top guys tend to space out their tournaments, to avoid burn-out, so they either need to skip the API, or the Honda.  Nobody is going to play 4 weeks in a row, at least not the top players,

Oh, welcome to TST! :beer:

Exactly right. The Honda Classic is sandwiched between the WBC Mexico tourney, and the Bay Hill Invitational, Arnie's tournament which is a must do for a lot of pros. After that comes The Player's Championship. So, poor Honda winds up with a lesser field. Plus, PGA National is a tough course, and maybe some guys don't want to play there! It was mentioned on the telecast today that 10 of the last 13 champions finished in single digits under par. After today, it's now 11 of the last 14. 

37 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

PGA National is a tough course, and maybe some guys don't want to play there! It was mentioned on the telecast today that 10 of the last 13 champions finished in single digits under par. After today, it's now 11 of the last 14. 

Yeah..but distance is killing the game. Hell Jack’s own course made his argument look stupid.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Yeah..but distance is killing the game. Hell Jack’s own course made his argument look stupid.

PGA National is a Fazio course.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

48 minutes ago, iacas said:

PGA National is a Fazio course.

Redesigned by Jack in 2014.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Redesigned by Jack in 2014.

Renovated by Nicklaus.

Nowhere near enough to call it a "redesign" or a "designed by." It's a Fazio.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Agreed with the the scheduling situation others have stated. And PGA National is a bit boring IMO...but probably not why it doesn’t have the strongest field. 

Also...Par is irrelevant in tournament golf 🙂 

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Renovated by Nicklaus.

Nowhere near enough to call it a "redesign" or a "designed by." It's a Fazio.

I didn’t. The article I read did. And Jack designed 15-17...🙂

Edited by Vinsk

The champions course at PGA national isnt a good golf course. Ive played it. I dont know how it keeps getting top flight professional tournaments. Its like the Vallhaha of florida or something. Its one of those courses that are penal just for the sake of being penal. Just because its hard doesnt mean its any good. 

It's a horrible place IMO.  I've played it twice.  It's not fun.  It's surrounded by condos and houses, the only penalty there is water (and it's everywhere, obviously).  Penal for the sake of being penal, as Groucho said.  The top guys don't have to play, and need to take a break during the month and the run up to the TPC and then the majors.  This course is a perfect one to skip. The place is depressing to even the best golfers in the world.

The last 4 holes do, however, make for a great viewing experience.  

Well my point ( unclear and possibly meaningless) is here was a tournament that over four days the winner was under double digits. Golf is fine. Leave the ball alone.

Thanks for the opinion guys, My point is todays top players do not want to play tough courses, or courses that have deep rough, the players of today have too much influence on course setup.  Note Tiger Woods, he will not play on courses that have deep rough, and Phil Mickelson has been on record saying he prefer courses that have little rough because he would rather make tons of birdies.  I am of the opinion that the best players in the world should have tough setups, not a fan of winning scores of 25 under par.....also note  that the americans did not do so hot at the Ryder cup where they had to play out of rough.

21 hours ago, Rick Graham said:

Thanks for the opinion guys, My point is todays top players do not want to play tough courses, or courses that have deep rough, the players of today have too much influence on course setup.  Note Tiger Woods, he will not play on courses that have deep rough, and Phil Mickelson has been on record saying he prefer courses that have little rough because he would rather make tons of birdies.  I am of the opinion that the best players in the world should have tough setups, not a fan of winning scores of 25 under par.....also note  that the americans did not do so hot at the Ryder cup where they had to play out of rough.

There's a video around here somewhere with Dean Snell discussing ball distance and he brought up instead of trying to limit the ball, make the courses a little more less user friendly in regards to the rough and softening up the fairways. One one hand it is fun to watch a guy slaughter a golf course, but then its fun to watch them struggle too. I generally like the US Open setups and the British Open courses. Its fun to see a guy get slapped around from time to time.

• Like 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

Note: This thread is 1505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!