IGNORED

Ball Well Above Feet

gbogey
Note: This thread is 1464 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This seems to happen a lot here, I'm guessing because there aren't really many hills but there tend to be big mounds, think backside of a bunker, in the middle of fairways, but I'll get a lie with the ball well above my feet.  I'm not talking side hill lie.  I'm talking ball around knee height or yesterday even higher.  How would you play it?  I'm not trying to do anything fancy, just advance the ball 100-150 yards forward.  My tendency seems to be to pop the ball up.  Maybe get 30-50 yards, but not advancing the ball like I would like to.  Any suggestions?

17 minutes ago, gbogey said:

This seems to happen a lot here, I'm guessing because there aren't really many hills but there tend to be big mounds, think backside of a bunker, in the middle of fairways, but I'll get a lie with the ball well above my feet.  I'm not talking side hill lie.  I'm talking ball around knee height or yesterday even higher.  How would you play it?  I'm not trying to do anything fancy, just advance the ball 100-150 yards forward.  My tendency seems to be to pop the ball up.  Maybe get 30-50 yards, but not advancing the ball like I would like to.  Any suggestions?

Choke up on the club and use a lower lofted club. The more loft the club has, the farther left the ball is going to start.

That’s assuming a right handed golfer.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I will prepare everything properly for this shot then will compensate and block this shot dead straight right.

• Like 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Check and see if anyone is looking and if not use your Texas wedge and kick it off the hill. If someone is watching then do what @billchao says and I would add what @Double Mocha Man says about being perpendicular to the slope. I had a similar situation a few days ago on the backside of a green and I remembered that little tidbit and I got through it ok. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

32 minutes ago, billchao said:

Choke up on the club and use a lower lofted club. The more loft the club has, the farther left the ball is going to start.

Good advice.   I can attest to when you don't use this advise..😏

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Again, no nearer the tee.

That's the good thing about a Texas wedge, it naturally advances the ball toward the green.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

2 minutes ago, snapfade said:

That's the good thing about a Texas wedge, it naturally advances the ball toward the green.

Actually, a Texas wedge is a putter from well off the green.  It's technically a Foot Wedge I think you are referring to (though I wouldn't know anything about that).  But if you're liking the Texas reference I think we'll just call it a Boot Wedge.

• Like 1

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

Actually, a Texas wedge is a putter from well off the green.  It's technically a Foot Wedge I think you are referring to (though I wouldn't know anything about that).  But if you're liking the Texas reference I think we'll just call it a Boot Wedge.

Yes you are right.

Uphill lies seem to be the time where I can always hit the most beautiful fade of the round....right into the water.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, billchao said:

That’s assuming a right handed golfer.

Pretty much this.

Also, very little lower body action.  This is really pretty much pure athleticism.  Put the clubhead on the ball...

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Uphill lies seem to be the time where I can always hit the most beautiful fade of the round....right into the water.

Fade, yeah, let’s go with that...  :whistle:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I think what your referring to is an uphill slope: Front foot above the back foot. The swing gets more difficult to finish, because gravity is pulling your weight away from the target. From a wider than normal stance you must lean back to set your shoulder parallel to the slope of the terrain; so that your swing arc won't hit into the ground. Use a club with less loft to compensate for the upslope and grip down on the shaft. The difficulty of this shot comes from having to force your body rotation (and resulting weight transfer to move up the hill through impact). You have to learn your "lean limit" for a good swing. Stand off to the side and take a few practice swings to see where the club arc is bottoming out and what the face angle is doing; remember the new ball flight laws suggest the face angle has the most initial influence on the ball's flight. Remember exaggerating your body turn to produce clubhead acceleration past impact is not an easy thing. So assess your distance to the target; how severe the slope is, the green surround and any hazards that lie ahead and make your best shot to minimize putting up a big number.

The above is paraphrased from a book written by Dave Pelz, "Damage Control". The book covers a large number of recovery shots from all over the Golf course.

27 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Fade, yeah, let’s go with that...  :whistle:

Et tu..Brute?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

Et tu..Brute?

The first step is acknowledging the problem!   :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

35 minutes ago, David in FL said:

The first step is acknowledging the problem!   :-D

Are ya kiddin? Have you seen how many posts I mention s*****? I am glad to say they’ve reduced quite dramatically. Well..until just now having written that.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, MiuraMan said:

I think what your referring to is an uphill slope: Front foot above the back foot.

I don't think that's what he's talking about.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1464 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!