IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

3 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Update: After significant public outrage about the mandate of face masks, the gov-nah has backed off. They are now just recommending them.

How am I going to sell these 5000 Tiger Woods facemasks I just had printed up?!

Missouri:

Good morning,

Governor Mike Parson conducted his daily briefing and announced his plan for reopening businesses around the state. Parson stated a new order will be in effect from May 4 through May 31.

During the Governor’s briefing he stressed the importance of social distancing and risk mitigation.  These will continue to be a key component under his new guidance.   He noted it was his intent for all retail businesses to open on May 4th.   Retail businesses of different sizes will be allowed to have between 10% and 25% of their occupancy limit in the business at one time.

Restaurants may again offer indoor dining provided the limitations on social distancing and other precautionary health measures are to be followed. This includes spacing of tables at least 6 feet apart and no more than 10 people at a single table.   As questions are raised about the order and its impact, we expect further clarification to be released over the course of the week.

This loosening of restrictions will require that social distancing continue to be practiced on golf courses.  This includes one person per cart but does not appear to place limitations on the number of people in gatherings.   However, groups must still abide by the proper social distancing requirements.  We recommend that golf courses keep guidelines that have been in place in the past couple of months with no rakes in the bunkers and no touching of the flagsticks till end of the month. At that time, the new guidelines will be out, or we will still be using the current ones. 

While the Governor is changing the requirements for many communities around the state it's important to remember local cities and counties may have more restrictive measures in effect.  Please remember the Stay at Home order in St. Louis City, St. Louis County and Kansas City remain in effect until May 15th. 

We have attached the new Order released by Governor Parson.  Please let MGA know if you have questions.

https://content.govdelivery.com/attachments/MOGOV/2020/04/27/file_attachments/1437097/Economic%20Reopening%20Order%204-27-20.pdf

https://content.govdelivery.com/attachments/MOGOV/2020/04/27/file_attachments/1437023/Show%20Me%20Strong%20Recovery%20-%20Phase%201%20Guidance.pdf

Stay safe and healthy and thank you for support of the MGA and the great game of golf.

All our best,

Rocky Walther, President of Missouri Golf Association
Mike Winter, Missouri Golf Association Legislative Consultant
Scott Hovis, Executive Director of Missouri Golf Association

2 hours ago, iacas said:

What’s your whole point here, that we should continue, across the country, to stay in lockdown?

Time will tell.

😷

But, then, I have repeatedly said, "Go play golf."  So, no.

Edited by Cartboy

Not only are we playing golf, 7 days this week for me, but we are also socializing after the round. I invite the foursome, over to the backyard, where we sit in our golf carts, spaced 6-12 feet apart, and suck down beers. No masks, kind of hard to wear masks when drinking beer. Which brings up an interesting point. Some of these rules for reopening are that you have to wear masks. How do people eat if going into a restaurant if they have to wear masks?

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 hours ago, dennyjones said:

What I'm seeing, the courses aren't too crowded, some golfers are staying home because they can't/don't walk.    

This is the 3rd post on this.....too much KFC and beer being consumed in the US?

spacer.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

This is the 3rd post on this.....too much KFC and beer being consumed in the US?

spacer.png

This guy definitely needs to walk.  But then that would make the medics' job more difficult getting him on a gurney.

5 minutes ago, Rkrider99 said:

How do people eat if going into a restaurant if they have to wear masks?

I think restaurants are setting up IV systems...

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1

I've got to say.

We need to blame Eldrick for all the yahoos/clowns/slobs who come out to try to play golf...racing around in golf carts full of beer and screaming all day long.....it's an activity where one need not be good nor in shape to participate.

We rarely saw these clowns on the courses in the 60's/70's/80's.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

What’s your whole point here? That we should continue, across the country, to stay in lockdown?

You got a point?  What would you like to see?

😷

Just now, Cartboy said:

😷

It's like having to take the time and effort to make a 4 foot putt for a double bogey.  You don't want to do it but you know you have to do it.  Unless you're a guy who rakes those away.  Don't think you can "rake away" the coronavirus...

25 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

It's like having to take the time and effort to make a 4 foot putt for a double bogey.  You don't want to do it but you know you have to do it.  Unless you're a guy who rakes those away.  Don't think you can "rake away" the coronavirus...

500,000 new confirmed cases in less than the last 3 weeks, and 30,000 more each day, does not suggest it's time to open things up.  With 4% of the world's population, we have 1/3 of the confirmed cases and 25% of the deaths.

Even in the states that are opening up, people are being encouraged to stay at home.

But, like I've said a few times now, those who feel they have to get out amongst folks, go ahead.  The more prudent ones can still stay at home, and let the chips fall where they may.  

Edited by Cartboy

16 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I was referring to this. I understand you not wanting to ‘socialize’. I’m curious why you’d say that. You must be remaining indoors at all times. Otherwise you’re exposing yourself just as much whether on a golf course or not. 

But travels over 1,000 miles between 2 homes. LOL?

Edited by Carl3

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Cartboy said:

😷

You to stop being the troll you’ve been…?

1 hour ago, Cartboy said:

500,000 new confirmed cases in less than the last 3 weeks, and 30,000 more each day, does not suggest it's time to open things up.  With 4% of the world's population, we have 1/3 of the confirmed cases and 25% of the deaths.

Like that.

And to that information, there is plenty out there which speaks to the opposite: that it is time to open things up a bit.

hero-screen.png

Up-to-date values for Rt — the number to watch to measure COVID spread

There’s one example.

The U.S. has a population of 330 million. If you believe China’s numbers, you’re delusional. Treatments have improved. Numbers show a high % of people have gotten the virus and are asymptomatic. The list goes on. It’s not a clear-cut case for either side, but that applies to your position as much as the other side, too.

1 hour ago, Cartboy said:

But, like I've said a few times now, those who feel they have to get out amongst folks, go ahead.  The more prudent ones can still stay at home, and let the chips fall where they may.  

If I go play golf on Friday that doesn’t make me “imprudent.”

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

59 minutes ago, iacas said:

You to stop being the troll you’ve been…?

This is a golf forum, for golfers who want to golf, so, naturally, there is a slant to this thread.

It's a shame that a golfer who may have a different opinion is considered to be a troll.

But, so be it.

Stated once more, my position is that golfer who wanta to golf should golf.  & those who don't feel it's safe should stay home. 

For me, it will be catching goggle-eyes off my brush piles.

😷

The biggest challenge we’re having these days at my club is running out of carts.  We’re using twice as many carts per group, with an even higher than normal volume of play, especially mid-week.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

14 minutes ago, David in FL said:

The biggest challenge we’re having these days at my club is running out of carts.  We’re using twice as many carts per group, with an even higher than normal volume of play, especially mid-week.

As one who has been responsible for that the last dozen years, I have already considered the "new normal."

I previously have mentioned that some of the changes are things some golfers have wanted all along . . . a personal cart, not getting paired with strangers, more space between tee times . . . 

At the same time, golfers who want to golf are willing to do with less than they are accustomed to.  No Pro Shop.  No clubhouse.  Remote payment .  No bag drop.  No players service.

Edited by Cartboy

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, Cartboy said:

This is a golf forum, for golfers who want to golf, so, naturally, there is a slant to this thread.

It's a shame that a golfer who may have a different opinion is considered to be a troll.

Your “different opinion” is not what made your behavior troll-like.

38 minutes ago, Cartboy said:

Stated once more, my position is that golfer who wanta to golf should golf.  & those who don't feel it's safe should stay home.

No, that’s not your position. You’ve also said it’s more “prudent” to stay home, and hinted or joked many times about how dumb people were being, etc. You’re tossing out small little jabs, and backing away without saying much at all. That’s the trolling.

Like my post above, where you respond to a tiny part of it, and ignore the rest, the part with much more substance.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 minutes ago, Cartboy said:

I previously have mentioned that some of the changes are things some golfers have wanted all along . . . a personal cart

Prior to it being “ordered,” we recommended people ride separately and we had enough of a fleet to accommodate. More people within a group preferred to ride together versus in separate carts. Obviously people who didn’t know each other would want separation, but socially, I think, people preferred to be together. 

10 minutes ago, Cartboy said:

more space between tee times . .

Haven’t heard golfers really complain about this even when I was at a course that ran 7.5min times. It was more about getting people to hit just 1 tee shot off the first hole, instead of multiple breakfast balls. 

Im excited for WA to get back at it. The force must be strong with golf. States are opening up around it. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Note: This thread is 1152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!