IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

3 minutes ago, mattm16 said:

I'm not a troll.  However, I'm just saying what I think (better than opinion?).  There are people that did make the same comments (well, not exactly but if I remember right close enough) that are no longer communicating in this topic because it seems they were "chased" away for what they think.  The trucker dude, and David in Florida specifically I'm thinking of.

Well, I don't think anyone is trying to chase you away.  We're just trying to get you to think clearer and more scientifically.  Unfortunately, most of the coronavirus pandemic is not open to opinion. 

Now, if you want to discuss the benefits of a power fade vs. a draw then there are few facts attached.  It is subjective.  Go for it.  Covid resides mostly in the realm of the objective.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, mattm16 said:

I'm not a troll.  However, I'm just saying what I think (better than opinion?).  There are people that did make the same comments (well, not exactly but if I remember right close enough) that are no longer communicating in this topic because it seems they were "chased" away for what they think.  The trucker dude, and David in Florida specifically I'm thinking of.

Truth.

This thread is only for those who believe a certain way. All others are directly insulted in a way that I find embarrassing to the forum itself.

As hard as it is to believe, I was actually told not to post my thoughts in this topic any longer by a moderator.  As distasteful as I found that to be for a moderator to say, given the overall unwillingness to discuss differing viewpoints without animosity and insult, I have to admit, he was right.

I’ll stick to golf.  Let’s talk about chippers and pace of play.  😁

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
2 hours ago, mattm16 said:

Also, if a person is worried about getting COVID, and they get the vaccine, the vaccine protects them, correct?  Then why should they be concerned if I didn't get the vaccine?  They are protected.

Because it’s about more than yourself! Jeez man.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, mattm16 said:

We all have different opinions.  It really is ok.  No reason to get all up in arms about it.

It is when a large number of people continue to repeat nonsense that can endanger the lives of others.  Opinions are about tastes and preferences, not clearly provable facts. If someone said that they wouldn't waste their time protecting their eyes when looking at an eclipse, I'd say they were stupid but entitled to do it. If, on the other hand, they said that in their opinion, eye protection was unnecessary when looking at an eclipse, I would absolutely not respect that "opinion". Because it isn't actually an opinion. It's a ridiculously ignorant statement.

The problem with “I’m entitled to my opinion” is that, all too often, it’s used to shelter beliefs that should have been abandoned. It becomes shorthand for “I can say or think whatever I like” – and by extension, continuing to argue is somehow disrespectful. And this attitude feeds, I suggest, into the false equivalence between experts and non-experts that is an increasingly pernicious feature of our public discourse.

.......if ‘entitled to an opinion’ means ‘entitled to have your views treated as serious candidates for the truth’ then it’s pretty clearly false. And this too is a distinction that tends to get blurred.

Patrick Stokes

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

3 hours ago, mattm16 said:

Then why should they be concerned if I didn't get the vaccine?  They are protected.

Multiple reasons.

• There are people who cannot get vaccinated for medical reasons. Should those unable to be vaccinated be put at risk involuntarily?
  • The vaccine is not approved for children less than 12 years old. Should kids be put at risk involuntarily?
  • The vaccine is not 100% effective. Should those who get vaccinated but do not develop immunity be put at risk involuntarily?

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I have known people to get COVID.

I know four that have died, two in the last 10 days. How many people do you know that have had small pox? Polio?  The answer is none because we’ve eliminated it with vaccines. People survived those diseases too, but it killed millions. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

42 minutes ago, Shorty said:

And this attitude feeds, I suggest, into the false equivalence between experts and non-experts that is an increasingly pernicious feature of our public discourse.

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov

9 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov

Exactly - the notion that opinions deserve "equal time" seems pervasive.  If 99.9% of credible scientists believe something and 3% of people with no education "think" something (with nothing to back them up) they demand that their "opinion" be respected.

Without any sense of irony, @mattm16 acknowledges that he "thinks" certain things but cannot justify them. He actually said the following - could there possibly be a more anit-intellectual admission?

"I don't have facts to back up what I think.  I just think certain ways."  @mattm16 2021

Edited by Shorty

Mattm16... by any chance does the "16" that follows your moniker refer to your age?  If so, that could explain a lot.  I was cocky, sure of myself, hardheaded and knew much, much more than everyone who was older than me when I was 16.

4 hours ago, mattm16 said:

Also, if a person is worried about getting COVID, and they get the vaccine, the vaccine protects them, correct?  Then why should they be concerned if I didn't get the vaccine?  They are protected.

Next time you see someone on a c*****v****e "news" program pose this question EXACTLY as you have (funny that), ask yourself why they simply pose the "question" as a "talking point" or rhetorical question. They will NEVER ask the question and then go to someone who can actually it - as people on this site can easily do. You'll just see a row of people smugly nodding their heads and smiling as if it' sa "gotcha" question. Problem is, they know that if someone was allowed to answer it, they'd be seen for what they really are.

You will NEVER see famous TV  personality X say:

"If a person is worried about getting COVID, and they get the vaccine, the vaccine protects them, correct?  Then why should they be concerned if I didn't get the vaccine? Here's expert Y to answer that question."

Edited by Shorty

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Mattm16... by any chance does the "16" that follows your moniker refer to your age?  If so, that could explain a lot.  I was cocky, sure of myself, hardheaded and knew much, much more than everyone who was older than me when I was 16.

Nope.  42.  Will be 43 next month.  With a severe heart condition.

That means approximately 30% of the population is not willing to get it.  And it also means there are far more people that have the same opinion that I do that anyone wants to admit.

That’s part of the problem. This thing won’t go away because we can’t achieve the numbers required for herd immunity. You and the other 30% of the population have an opinion and make decisions that can affect everyone else.

I don’t understand why that’s so hard to understand. This is the exact discussion I have with anti-vaxxers about MMR.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Ohio has just announced as of June 2nd,  all COVID health orders will be removed, which includes masks, indoor and outdoor capacity limits, and social distancing guidelines.  In addition, if you have received at least the first dose, you will be eligible to win 1 Million Dollars.  Every Wednesday for 5 weeks 1 winner will receive 1 million dollars

1 minute ago, mattm16 said:

Ohio has just announced as of June 2nd,  all COVID health orders will be removed, which includes masks, indoor and outdoor capacity limits, and social distancing guidelines.  In addition, if you have received at least the first dose, you will be eligible to win 1 Million Dollars.  Every Wednesday for 5 weeks 1 winner will receive 1 million dollars

You might have to leave Michigan and take up residence in Ohio.