IGNORED

Golf Fitness: Back Exercises to Improve Power

MiuraMan
Note: This thread is 1411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• iacas changed the title to Golf Fitness: Back Exercises to Improve Power
  • 1 month later...

Dumbbell Power Clean and press. This exercise is titled "The Athlete's" exercise. I perform 4x8-10 reps, 3 times a week. Heavy, medium, and light. Heavy set is with 60lb dumbbells, light day is with 25-30 lbs, and medium day is 40-45 lbs. My goal is to do my heavy set with 70 lb dumbbells in six week. 

I have had golfers mentioned to me that I have lots of power and strength for a 5'7" 188lb 60 year old. 

• 3 weeks later...

On 5/16/2020 at 12:26 PM, kenhockey2 said:

Dumbbell Power Clean and press. This exercise is titled "The Athlete's" exercise. I perform 4x8-10 reps, 3 times a week. Heavy, medium, and light. Heavy set is with 60lb dumbbells, light day is with 25-30 lbs, and medium day is 40-45 lbs. My goal is to do my heavy set with 70 lb dumbbells in six week. 

I have had golfers mentioned to me that I have lots of power and strength for a 5'7" 188lb 60 year old. 

Makes all the difference.  Keep it up.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm 48 and am hitting the ball farther than I ever have - 270+ yard drive yesterday when I used to be 220 - and regularly longer than my buddies. I attribute it all to strength training. I'm not a muscle guy, and have 20lbs of excess fat to shed, but the combination of squats, deadlifts, bench presses and power cleans/row/chin ups is making a big difference. StartingStrength.com makes a great case for this, especially for those of us over 40. The key is progressive increases in weight. Lifting the same weight over time does not increase strength.

2 hours ago, smsparks said:

I'm 48 and am hitting the ball farther than I ever have - 270+ yard drive yesterday when I used to be 220 - and regularly longer than my buddies. I attribute it all to strength training. I'm not a muscle guy, and have 20lbs of excess fat to shed, but the combination of squats, deadlifts, bench presses and power cleans/row/chin ups is making a big difference. StartingStrength.com makes a great case for this, especially for those of us over 40. The key is progressive increases in weight. Lifting the same weight over time does not increase strength.

That’s awesome. Now...is the 270yds your average now? From 220yds? Or was 220yds your previous best and now it’s 270yds?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 6/12/2020 at 1:26 PM, Vinsk said:

That’s awesome. Now...is the 270yds your average now? From 220yds? Or was 220yds your previous best and now it’s 270yds?

I wish! No, 270 isn't my average, I don't actually track my driving distance formally but I'd estimate 240-ish is average now. I know I am much longer than in past years, with less effort and out drive my buddies where I didn't in past. I'm driver, short iron/wedge a lot more often now.

Also, strength training is similar to golf in that you are competing with yourself to do just a little better. It doesn't matter the weight on the bar so much as seeing it increase over time. 

22 minutes ago, smsparks said:

I wish! No, 270 isn't my average, I don't actually track my driving distance formally but I'd estimate 240-ish is average now. I know I am much longer than in past years, with less effort and out drive my buddies where I didn't in past. I'm driver, short iron/wedge a lot more often now.

Also, strength training is similar to golf in that you are competing with yourself to do just a little better. It doesn't matter the weight on the bar so much as seeing it increase over time. 

That’s about how it is for me. I really need to do some speed training. Bad injury last Thanksgiving time but I’m all healed up for the most part. I average about 240 but on occasion I’ll hit one 270+. I swing Jim Venetos style so I’m limited despite what he claims. But I could still get better lower body action on the downswing.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 2 weeks later...

The video was instructive but mostly about flexibility. Nothing wrong with that.

But, if you want more "power", you need to do resistance exercises.

Now that my knees are over 60 and deep squats are too painful, my favourite is the barbell dead lift. I note that Rory prefers trap bar dead lift to squats. I strongly recommend getting at least 1 professional lesson on dead lifting to ensure you use proper form and avoid hurting your back.    

On 6/25/2020 at 5:51 AM, Sclaffer said:

The video was instructive but mostly about flexibility. Nothing wrong with that.

But, if you want more "power", you need to do resistance exercises.

Now that my knees are over 60 and deep squats are too painful, my favourite is the barbell dead lift. I note that Rory prefers trap bar dead lift to squats. I strongly recommend getting at least 1 professional lesson on dead lifting to ensure you use proper form and avoid hurting your back.    

I agree resistance exercises are great! But let’s not confuse a knee dominant exercise with a hinge. Squats (any variation) and deadlift (again any variation) should be included in any program. Start light, work on form, perfect it and then the weight will increase. 

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!