IGNORED

COVID-19 Practice Plan Challenge - April 1-30 2020

• Administrator

@Nail if you have the chance to do this again, literally put the handle in the position you want, hold it right there, and then shape your body to it. Set up to the handle. Every time.

• Informative 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 11 and 12 completed, and also adding day 12 to the other drills to focus on once I get to the range.  Was hoping today, but it's raining here so will have to look for another day this week.

Day 13. Struggled with this one, only hit 2-3 out of like 30 that were "good" meaning a nice high, soft launch, most were thin and came out really flat and low (like waist high) or they were fat and out to the right.

The camera angle isnt the best, the ball was more in the middle of my stance than it looks on video. It felt really uncomfortable opening my stance and then opening my trail palm like I'm dealing cards on the way back, it felt like I was going to (and once or twice I did) hit my right thigh/knee on the way back. Is that normal for this kind of shot?

Any thoughts? @iacas

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, iacas said:

@Nail if you have the chance to do this again, literally put the handle in the position you want, hold it right there, and then shape your body to it. Set up to the handle. Every time.

Will do thanks. I'm so used to doing it the wrong way I need to remind myself to set up properly

23 minutes ago, klineka said:

on the way back, it felt like I was going to (and once or twice I did) hit my right thigh/knee on the way back. Is that normal for this kind of shot?Any thoughts?

Just a guess based on watching the video, but you could be trying to keep the club/swing path aligned with the ball/target instead of how your body is aligned.  It looks like your trying to keep the club/path straight through the ball instead of cutting across it naturally, but again just a guess.

I've got to play catch up this week. We had some crazy weather over the weekend that got me behind.

1 hour ago, JGus said:

Just a guess based on watching the video, but you could be trying to keep the club/swing path aligned with the ball/target instead of how your body is aligned.  It looks like your trying to keep the club/path straight through the ball instead of cutting across it naturally, but again just a guess.

Yup that was part of it. Also I rewatched the video and realized I didn't move the handle back far enough so I wasn't presenting enough loft, and my stance wasn't as open as it should be.

I had to feel like the club face was going more out away from the ball/target line (feel isnt real so it is still likely under the plane relative to my open body/feet line), probably because I was taking it way too far to the inside previously.

Much happier with these, I can definitely see the ball launching much higher and softer. Might go to the field by my house in the next couple days and try to catch one, I think I could have gotten close to catching a couple of those today.

Edited by klineka
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, klineka said:

Yup that was part of it. Also I rewatched the video and realized I didn't move the handle back far enough so I wasn't presenting enough loft, and my stance wasn't as open as it should be.

I noticed you were staying square on the board after I posted then got busy with work.  I agree that these look better and you look a lot more comfortable.

Day 13:

I practiced, too, just didn't film it. I had to, just to make sure I didn't film myself breaking a window on camera. The ball was catchable, but I was not about to faceplant in the mud trying. I really wanted to film one of the ones that popped up in the air about hip height and landed just past the cherry tree, but alas I don't have that kind of control over this motion.

Also for whatever reason, when I hit flops the ball launches on my swing path.

I was told there would be bonus points for filming in the rain, but it stopped raining.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
3 hours ago, klineka said:

Day 13. Struggled with this one, only hit 2-3 out of like 30 that were "good" meaning a nice high, soft launch, most were thin and came out really flat and low (like waist high) or they were fat and out to the right.

The camera angle isnt the best, the ball was more in the middle of my stance than it looks on video. It felt really uncomfortable opening my stance and then opening my trail palm like I'm dealing cards on the way back, it felt like I was going to (and once or twice I did) hit my right thigh/knee on the way back. Is that normal for this kind of shot?

Any thoughts? @iacas

You're right that you did a better job in the second video of actually setting up to the handle, but your weight was centered to back in both, too. Remember that the weight has to stay forward a bit, with the right shoulder feeling "higher" than normal. Weight helps control the low point, and you were having to drag the handle through to not fat them.

2 hours ago, klineka said:

I had to feel like the club face was going more out away from the ball/target line (feel isnt real so it is still likely under the plane relative to my open body/feet line), probably because I was taking it way too far to the inside previously.

Right. It's under the plane along the "body line" which for these is left (for a righty) of the actual target line.

27 minutes ago, billchao said:

That's well done Bill.

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's well done Bill.

Thanks. I can't think of the last time I had to hit a short flop on the course, but the ball launching along my stance line isn't really a big deal, right? Like I should just be able to play it?

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, billchao said:

Thanks. I can't think of the last time I had to hit a short flop on the course, but the ball launching along my stance line isn't really a big deal, right? Like I should just be able to play it?

It should launch between the face and the path.

Closer to the face.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

It should launch between the face and the path.

Closer to the face.

It was definitely closer to the path than the face. I wanted that ball three feet to the right, so in front of the sidewalk from the camera.

Completed day 13, indoors with foam/rubber balls, except for the super flop shot, couldn't get away with that one.  But plan to revisit this once I can get outside.

Just now, boogielicious said:

I’ll have to post mine tomorrow. We’ve got sideways rain, 60 mph gusts and we lost power. Fun stuff!

We had that earlier in the day. I worked in it. Definitely fun, 10/10 would recommend.

• iacas unfeatured this topic