IGNORED

Lob Wedge

Mick190
Note: This thread is 1365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 minutes ago, Mick190 said:

hi im lookinh on buying a lob wedge but not sure what degree any  suggestions 

It depends on what your other wedges are. I use a 58 because I have PW, 50, 54 as well. I find it very versatile. I recommend something with a lot of bounce, which helps a lot.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What do you intend to use it for? What conditions to you play in? It's a fairly specialized wedge.

There's bounce and grind. Bounce helps a lot in most conditions. I'd say get a 10 bounce unless you have a specific need. Then there's grind. Grind is different depending upon the brand. Here's Callaway's for the MD-5 series:

C - for firm conditions. Also you can lay this wedge almost flat and thump a shot out of a firm bunker with a tall lip which you might not be able to do with one of the other grinds.

S - standard. This is a good all around grind for most conditions.

W - wide sole. For thick rough and soft conditions. It'll keep you from digging down and duffing your shot.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I have a 55* SW with high bounce and a 60* LW with low bounce.  My rule of thumb is that I can use either club depending on the specific ground conditions and get a fairly similar result.  Hard pan ground or a hard/wet bunker, I will play the LW.  Soft ground, sitting on a layer of grass, nicely raked soft bunkers, I will play the SW.  Of course, it also depends on your swing.  With a sweeping motion you need less bounce and with a more digging motion you need more bounce.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

8 hours ago, boogielicious said:

It depends on what your other wedges are. I use a 58 because I have PW, 50, 54 as well. I find it very versatile. I recommend something with a lot of bounce, which helps a lot.

Apparently, @boogielicious copied off of me. I too go with the 58 LW as I carry a 54, 50 and PW. 

Mick, if I were you, here's what I would do. Pick up a used wedge. They hold their value worse than the latest I phone. You can literally get a used lob wedge for 10 bucks. Here's a new one for 10 bucks. 

12hvytcwedmrhunist5611012019__23836.1568

Tour Satin Heavy Wedge This wedge is ideal for shots from the sand, chip and pitch shots around the green, as well as full swing shots from the fa

Go ahead and buy a cheap lob wedge. Use it for a while eventually you will find that it either digs too much or digs too little or what ever. After you use one for a while you'll know what you'll want. Then you can go out and get one that fits your game. 

Of course, when you are really ready to get serious a wedge fitting is informative and fun. But if you've literally never used a lob wedge before. I'd wait on the fitting until you've at least played a season or two with one. 

Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• iacas changed the title to Lob Wedge

If you're a beginner and want to have a lob wedge, a good one to start with is the Cleveland Smart Sole S. It's a 58 degree wedge with a compound sole. You can use it in thick rough and it's pretty straight forward for getting out of bunkers. Just don't try anything fancy with it. Keep the club face square and you'll be fine. The purpose is to get the ball up and out of trouble. It's a very good club. I carry one and can vouch for it.

Just don't try to hit a flop shot with it or open the face when you hit a bunker shot. Keep the club face square and let the club's bounce do the work for you. They cost around $99. It's almost impossible to chunk a shot with it.... almost. 

Edited by DrvFrShow
  • Thumbs Up 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

On 3/29/2020 at 11:19 PM, DrvFrShow said:

It's almost impossible to chunk a shot with it.... almost. 

Almost indeed.

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

This is what you need.

a3c524ad26e743f584b0b12c1716233d.jpg

• Upvote 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

2 hours ago, snapfade said:

This is what you need.

A couple more degrees and you could use that to plane wood!

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

16 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

Why would anyone use such a masochistic club?

That's courtesy of Google. I'd be doing 25 to life if I swung that thing near anyone.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

• 3 months later...
On 3/30/2020 at 5:19 AM, DrvFrShow said:

If you're a beginner and want to have a lob wedge, a good one to start with is the Cleveland Smart Sole S. It's a 58 degree wedge with a compound sole. You can use it in thick rough and it's pretty straight forward for getting out of bunkers. Just don't try anything fancy with it. Keep the club face square and you'll be fine. The purpose is to get the ball up and out of trouble. It's a very good club. I carry one and can vouch for it.

Just don't try to hit a flop shot with it or open the face when you hit a bunker shot. Keep the club face square and let the club's bounce do the work for you. They cost around $99. It's almost impossible to chunk a shot with it.... almost. 

Thanks. Necrobumping now but flop shots is important for lob wedges as it´s the club I want to use if I am close to the green but have very little space to manoveur for the pitch or ship to stay on the green. So the S is not my club, I am probably getting the C though because I developed a phobia about missed chips! 

I use a 60* Pure spin I got from EBay for a total of $37.

I love it. 

The thing I found out I must do was follow through and not be afraid of going over the green. 

When I first got it, I could only hit it about 35 yards. Now, I am able to close the face and can reach a good 50 to 75 yards with the wedge. 

For my pitching wedge I use a Pure Spin 52* wedge. It is good for up to 95 yards with my swing. 

It takes some getting used to the 60*, but I really enjoy using mine. 

Retired Old Man

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

On 3/31/2020 at 9:59 AM, snapfade said:

This is what you need.

I saw one of these in Academy Sports the other day.  I thought about buying it just to fool around with in the yard, but common sense kicked in and I just walked away.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Note: This thread is 1365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!