IGNORED

I Have 15 Clubs. Which One Do I Take Out?

Note: This thread is 1428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Typically my 58° is my bunker, pitch shot club. I don’t hit flops I’m not Phil Mickelson. I hit just a standard pitch most of the time.

That is good to hear. For me, that club is my 53 degree, and that's why I mentioned potentially changing that up. Hope you figure out what to do with the bag. Cheers!

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Id drop the 3 iron, how often do you even need to hit it let alone work it both ways, I'd certainly find a lot more use for a 51 degree than a 3 iron but i dont know your game. I personally took my 3 wood out of the bag, I hit my 5 wood far enough to use it on holes where I dont use driver and I hit it almost as far as a 3 wood off the ground so I decided I have far more use for 4 wedges than a 3 wood. 

I play Driver, 5W, 4H 5-pw and then a 47, 52, 56 and 60. (My pw is 43 or 44 degrees)

10 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

Put the 2i and 3i aside and get a 3h, it should fit in the middle of the two.

Probably would only do that if I can’t choose between the two. I really like my 2-Utility iron though. The other thought was say screw it and get the 3-utility iron instead.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

36 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Probably would only do that if I can’t choose between the two. I really like my 2-Utility iron though. The other thought was say screw it and get the 3-utility iron instead.

Go with that and then swap out the 3w for a 4w.

You were looking for reasons to buy more clubs, right? 😉

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

50 minutes ago, billchao said:

Go with that and then swap out the 3w for a 4w.

You were looking for reasons to buy more clubs, right? 😉

No @billchao.  Srixon didn’t make a 4-wood in the Z F85 line. Originally when I got when I went into this fitting, I wasn’t going to have this problem. My original thought was to have the PW, and RTX-4 52° and 58° wedges. But I went with 54° and 58° instead.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

This thought also crossed my mind. What about strengthening the 54° to 53° and then taking out the AW? I don’t really use the 54° out of bunkers or rough around the green that much it’s mostly for chipping and pitching from fairway lies and occasionally full swing motion shots. Thoughts?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

36 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

This thought also crossed my mind. What about strengthening the 54° to 53° and then taking out the AW? I don’t really use the 54° out of bunkers or rough around the green that much it’s mostly for chipping and pitching from fairway lies and occasionally full swing motion shots. Thoughts?

I've expressed my love for the 53 previously. I think that it gaps well with a 58. 46 to 53 is a big gap though. How many shots do you play with your 46 compared to your 54 at the moment? How many shots do you play with your 51? You will have to modify a whole lot of things with your gapping if you play all of these clubs lots and decide to go this route.

Afterthought*

Could you go down to 52 with that wedge instead of 53? On top of that, every degree you strengthen that club, you will lose a degree of bounce, which will make it play entirely different if you are used to soling pitches with it.

Edited by Bonvivant
afterthought
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

Ok, how often do you really need to work a 3 iron both ways? I am a +1.5 and I just hope to hit my 4 iron in the right direction.

I will tell you what I did recently to help with my personal situation. I carried 3-wood, 2 iron, 4 iron. I tossed my 2 iron and added a 3 hybrid. Adding the hybrid gave me a couple of advantages over the 2 iron. First I can hit that hybrid pretty close to the same distance off the tee as I could my 2 iron, but that 3 hybrid is more useful from different lies around the course. I can hit it out of the rough, off tight lies, everywhere. It goes father than a 3 iron, but I can take some yardage off if I need to. 

So, if I was you I would look at tossing the 2 iron and 3 iron and adding a club like a 3 hybrid that can take the place of both. No one needs all those long irons anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

10 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

No one needs all those long irons anyway.

But they are fun and sexy, lol.

Putter.😀

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Putter.😀

I played in a member/guest 2 years ago and one guy we played against didn’t carry a putter.  He said that “it pissed him off” several years before and he pulled it from the bag and never looked back!  He bellied a lob wedge on the green.  Pretty well too.  He played off about a 6 hcp...     Strange.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Not sure if this is helpful, but I have the same issue.  Instead of a 2 iron I have a 2 hybrid, which acts more like a 5 wood for me.  Rather than permanently benching a club, I alternate between pulling my 3 wood and my AW depending on the course I play.  I typically play 2 courses.  When I play the shorter course, I pull the 3 wood and play the AW.  When I play the longer course, I take out the AW and play the 3 wood.

I am going to go a little differently than the above suggestions.  Yes, drop a club from the top of the bag, but make it the 4 iron.  I am guessing it is the club you hit the least, and is most easily replaced by a slightly choked down 3 iron which you can work both ways

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

On 4/8/2020 at 12:50 AM, Bonvivant said:

I've expressed my love for the 53 previously. I think that it gaps well with a 58. 46 to 53 is a big gap though. How many shots do you play with your 46 compared to your 54 at the moment? How many shots do you play with your 51? You will have to modify a whole lot of things with your gapping if you play all of these clubs lots and decide to go this route.

Afterthought*

Could you go down to 52 with that wedge instead of 53? On top of that, every degree you strengthen that club, you will lose a degree of bounce, which will make it play entirely different if you are used to soling pitches with it.

I could also weaken the AW to 52° as well. I’m hoping to make my 15 clubs, 14 for tournaments this summer (hopefully we can have them by then). 

Could be one of the long clubs could be one of the short ones. I’ve read 4-iron, 3-iron, and 2-iron I still haven’t figured it out it may be as simple as playing a few rounds and seeing which club I don’t use or need.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

On 4/6/2020 at 9:56 PM, onthehunt526 said:

@WUTiger would be happy to know that my “Sweet Sixteen” has become my “Fantastic Fifteen”. For those of you who wonder why the hell I always have this dilemma, well it’s a kind of Shane thing as it’s known. ...

So I have three ideas of which club to drop for the 14-club rule: 

1) The 51° I can play a really good 10-2 PW (say what, this is confusing...)  that goes almost the same distance as my 51° wedge. So that’s a possibility. the con is I like to chip with my AW.

2) The 3-iron. I can shorten up on my 2-iron and hit it the same distance as my stock 3-iron. The con is: I can work the 3-iron both ways.

3) 3-wood. I haven’t hit a 3-wood in years (mostly a 4-wood guy). I can hit this club a long way. Don’t really need it for par-5 second shots, but off the tee I do.

Dump the 2i and keep the 3i. To get extra distance, hit a draw with 3i (you can hit it both ways).

And dump 3W for 4W. The 4W is more versatile... can you hit it off the tee if needed? You were Mr. 4W in your Tour Edge days...

=================

And, what is the deal with the PW and AW? The AW goes almost as far, even through it's 5 degrees more loft? Is the PW damaged? What is the distance gap among the wedges?

================

New business: Is you daughter old enough to play golf yet?

Edited by WUTiger
Prune redundant phrase.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

8 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

Dump the 2i and keep the 3i. To get extra distance, hit a draw with 3i (you can hit it both ways).

And dump 3W for 4W. The 4W is more versatile... can you hit it off the tee if needed? You were Mr. 4W in your Tour Edge days...

=================

And, what is the deal with the PW and AW? The AW goes almost as far, even through it's 5 degrees more loft? Is the PW damaged? What is the distance gap among the wedges?

================

New business: Is you daughter old enough to play golf yet?

Srixon didn’t make a 4W for the F85 line. The 7W is a Japan only model.

I’ll clarify, @WUTiger my PW is not damaged my stock 46° PW (which is my “full swing” even though it’s only in reality closer to a three-quarter swing) is 138 yards of carry. (I still can get almost there with my CBX blades, amazing what a efficient golf swing can do.) The 51° wedge “full swing” is 122 yards. My 54° is 110 yards. I tossed around getting a 52° and taking out the AW and 54°. Then there is my 14 clubs. 

What I meant by my 10:00-2:00 swing with my PW is basically my “three-quarter swing”. That shot goes between 115-125 yards. With gripping down I can take that down to as little as 95 yards with a half swing.

Alina already plays golf with me. She has since she was three. Now she has the attention span to play a full nine holes though we mostly do it for fun. Alina was more consistent distance and direction wise with her hybrid than I was with a SW. She hits her hybrid about 100 yards. She is a very good putter, and chips well. Usually makes bogey or double on every hole. Shot 48 for 9 from the ladies tees at the end of last year.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

• iacas changed the title to I Have 15 Clubs. Which One Do I Take Out?

I think I may have found a way to solve this issue. I’m going to do a gap test.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Note: This thread is 1428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!