IGNORED

PGA Tour May Resume June 11

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 1410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I thought of that yesterday and I’m excited to see it.

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I thought of that yesterday and I’m excited to see it.

Do you think a small amount gets lost? I mean, the players arent the same quality but with sparsely attended minor tours in Florida and Canada do you think that many balls get lost if 3 minutes is enforced? I've never been able to find broken down stats for the Mackenzie tour for something like that.

I mean part of me thought PGA players would do fine. I didnt think otherwise until Brooke mentioned it and now I think it might be more than I would have predicted even before. I might even change my prediction of 1-2, and maybe 4-5.

Edited by cutchemist42

• Administrator

1-2 what?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

21 minutes ago, iacas said:

1-2 what?

Lost ball penalties....sorry. (unless of course there are the proper amount of marshals still allowed for watching too?)

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

Lost ball penalties....sorry. (unless of course there are the proper amount of marshals still allowed for watching too?)

Totally depends on the course, number of players, etc.

• Like 1

3894.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8

In order for the PGA Tour to complete the proposed truncated season it is taking delivery of 1m Covid-19 test kits

With the caveat that who knows what testing will look like in 8 weeks, this is an insane plan. The US has currently conducted 3.8 million tests. There isn't much chance the PGA Tour will be able to get its hands on a million tests. A million tests are much more valuable for other uses, too.

If tests are still scarce when it gets closer to June 11, the PGA Tour would be smart to reevaluate this plan, or at least reevaluate the testing parts of it. 

Also from that article:

Estimates are that between 700 and 800 personnel will still be needed on site at events.

And that's why social distancing will be hard at PGA Tour events. There will also be some states that will prohibit gatherings that large for a while to come. I'm guessing that PGA Tour events in those states will not be able to happen.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

On 4/17/2020 at 1:56 PM, cutchemist42 said:

Heard about Brooks points about possibly more lost balls on a tv segment. I never thought a lost ball problem would happen with no fans but I've been curious to see it. Maybe 1 or 2 per weekend if the 3 minute search is enforced?

Reminds me of the hand wringing NFL GM's griping about a "virtual" draft! "We can't be ready! It's going to hurt us! Wah, wah, wah!". Just be quiet and take care of your business. 

12 hours ago, DeadMan said:
3894.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8

In order for the PGA Tour to complete the proposed truncated season it is taking delivery of 1m Covid-19 test kits

With the caveat that who knows what testing will look like in 8 weeks, this is an insane plan. The US has currently conducted 3.8 million tests. There isn't much chance the PGA Tour will be able to get its hands on a million tests. A million tests are much more valuable for other uses, too.

If tests are still scarce when it gets closer to June 11, the PGA Tour would be smart to reevaluate this plan, or at least reevaluate the testing parts of it. 

Also from that article:

And that's why social distancing will be hard at PGA Tour events. There will also be some states that will prohibit gatherings that large for a while to come. I'm guessing that PGA Tour events in those states will not be able to happen.

What gatherings are you talking about? I'm sure the networks are smart enough to figure out how to do this with a minimum of personnel. And their are such things as remote controlled cameras. The one hot spot, could be the production trailer. They would absolutely have to test everyone there daily. But that's what, 8 to 10 people? And why would the PGA Tour need a million tests? They're talking about doing this with no spectators on the grounds! 

It's like something I read, or heard, last week. 98% of sports fans never attend an event! They watch on TV. Yes, live attendees are a revenue stream, but the big money comes from TV! They are trying to produce live content that can be broadcast! 

Edited by Buckeyebowman

• 2 weeks later...

According to this article, 50% of surveyed tour players are only willing to play if comprehensive testing is in place. I wonder how likely this is by June 11? 

waste-management-phoenix-open-18th-aeria

Golf Digest asked 35 PGA Tour pros their feelings on the pending re-start to the tour season and what reassurances they needed, if any, to return to competition

• Thumbs Up 1

- Mark

Heard this on a sports talk radio show today originating in Los Angeles (Colin Cowherd). Apparently the state of California is offering COVID-19 testing to anyone who wants it, symptomatic or not. Hmmm. That state has 40 million people in it! They're getting the tests somewhere! 

The Tour released a comprehensive plan for starting on June 11.

Monahan.jpg

The PGA Tour releases a detailed health and safety plan, Southern Hills gets another major, and Steve Stricker hires a pair of chauffeurs

Highlights of the plan:

• Players and caddies will be tested prior to travel and when they arrive in a new city. On a daily basis, they will fill out questionnaires and receive temperature checks.
    • If someone tests positive for COVID-19, they will be required to self-isolate for a minimum of 10 days.
    • Caddies will be allowed to carry their players’ bags, handle pins, and rake bunkers, but players are supposed to pull their own clubs out of the bag.
    • Roughly 1,100 on-site personnel have been deemed “essential.” This number includes players, caddies, clubhouse staff, trainers, and equipment reps. Family members will not be allowed on the grounds for at least the first four tournaments back. (Reminder: as of now, the PGA Tour plans to welcome fans on site starting with the John Deere Classic in July.)
    • Charter flights, with up to 170 seats available, will ferry players and caddies from event to event on the PGA Tour, Champions Tour, and Korn Ferry Tour. PGA Tour and Champions Tour players will be charged $600 per flight, while KFT players will pay $300. Tickets will be dispensed on a first come, first served basis.
    • Players, caddies, and essential personnel are expected to stay at specific hotels unless given permission by the Tour to stay elsewhere.
    • Approximately 40 media members will be allowed at each event.

Players pulling their own clubs? haha. Will they clean them and put them back too? How long will that last or how many times will they forget? 

If everyone has been tested so much, why do they still need to "social distance" like that? Seems overkill. 

From what we know about the virus, transmission outdoors on a golf course is very unlikely, seems some of these measures are too much imo. 

I'll be happy to see live golf on TV though. 

- Mark

More details about the tour’s plans:

The thing that jumps out at me is 1100 people on site for the tournaments. Not sure how that’s going to be possible. Only 400 of those will be tested. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

30 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

More details about the tour’s plans:

The thing that jumps out at me is 1100 people on site for the tournaments. Not sure how that’s going to be possible. Only 400 of those will be tested. 

Right!! Odd. And family members are not allowed, but representatives from manufacturers (i.e. sponsors) will be allowed?

To be honest, I really don't like the idea of holding events without fans. Think how anti-climactic it would be to win your first PGA Tour even in front of ... no one? Can't even run over and hug your wife and kids? 

Also, if there are no fans, why travel to all of these different events? Does the venue matter that much if there are no fans. Why go to Detroit in July to play a boring low interest course? Why not just hold all of the events in Florida to minimize travel? 

I hate to be pessimistic, but I see a good chance of this never happening. One person will test positive somewhere along the line and they will shut it all down again. 

- Mark

I'm a little curious about some of the restrictions when the tour resumes.  I understand the "No Fans" thing but do not understand why not bunker rakes?  Could they not easily post a single person on each hole to rake as necessary?  That would be 18 people and could easily stay 6+ feet away from each other.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

On 5/13/2020 at 9:43 AM, Braivo said:

If everyone has been tested so much, why do they still need to "social distance" like that? Seems overkill. 

Because testing is not very accurate. Depending on the type of test, it can give false negatives as much as 40% of the time. Meaning you could likely have the virus and test negative. Better safe than sorry.

1 minute ago, chspeed said:

Because testing is not very accurate. Depending on the type of test, it can give false negatives as much as 40% of the time. Meaning you could likely have the virus and test negative. Better safe than sorry.

This may be a good opportunity to see if we really need rakes in bunkers.   I believe the poll here indicated that a lot of people were in favor of eliminating rakes.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

17 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

This may be a good opportunity to see if we really need rakes in bunkers.   I believe the poll here indicated that a lot of people were in favor of eliminating rakes.  

I disagree, I was in a bunker this weekend and my ball was in the bottom of a footprint @ 4 inches below the level of the sand.  And "YES", I improved my lie by lifting the ball and using my foot to smooth out the surface.  Call me a cheater if you like but if the bunker had been raked I would not have been in a footprint.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

9 hours ago, StuM said:

Call me a cheater if you like but if the bunker had been raked I would not have been in a footprint.

Would never call you a cheater, I will say you cannot guarantee that if raked there would not be a footprint your ball landed in. 

I have seen a player rack a bunker and than walk out not fixing their foot prints on the way out. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

21 hours ago, chspeed said:

Many of us will be back at work before these guys hit the course. We won't be tested daily, we won't be outside all day. There will be an inherent risk to going back to daily life. The tour pros, and other pro athletes, should accept that same risk as we do. 

- Mark

Note: This thread is 1410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!