IGNORED

How Diverse is Your Club?

Mr Puddle
Note: This thread is 1307 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 6/22/2020 at 11:25 AM, ejm1994 said:

I would say that a big reason for the lack of "people at the door" is the economic barrier that people of color typically face from a very young age. Makes it difficult to get exposed to the game early on and thus does not foster an interest in it when older. Brings us to a problem that is meant for a much different forum than this!

I grew up in a blue collar town and not many of us were exposed to Golf. Color had nothing to do with it. My father was Polish came over after serving as a worker of no choice in Germany during WW2.

Soccor was his game. None of my friends Dad's played Golf. Never even on our radar. Wish it was.

Edited by SemperFi
clarify

On 6/23/2020 at 1:29 PM, ejm1994 said:

I'm referring to a discussion on racial inequality. While we can certainly have that discussion within the confines of golf, this game is the least of our society's worries about the inequality people of color face on a daily basis.

I don't know about the US but that isn't the case in the UK. People of colour have additional privileges, laws, and rights here, and are more than welcome to play golf at any course they wish, and so they should be. My best friend is of Asian decent and stands out like a sore thumb when he plays at my club. Not so much for his colour, but the fact he is the noisiest person on the course 😁

- Simon Hornsby

25 minutes ago, Mr Puddle said:

I don't know about the US but that isn't the case in the UK. People of colour have additional privileges, laws, and rights here.....

Yeah, we have a huge problem with that here in the U.S. And like I said earlier in this thread, it's a topic for another corner of the internet because it deals with much more than golf.

But on the topic of golf, I've only really seen a level of diversity at the public municipal courses I play. And even then, it's few and far between because another problem on this side of the pond is getting minorities access, to a game that costs money, at a young age.

“I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone’s golf game. It’s called an eraser.” - Arnold Palmer
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dynatour Titanium Matrix Driver, Top Flite 3W, 4HY, 5HY, 6,7,8,9 irons,PW, Ping Eye2 Gorge Lob Wedge, Top Flite Putter

5 minutes ago, Mr Puddle said:

I don't know about the US but that isn't the case in the UK. People of colour have additional privileges, laws, and rights here, and are more than welcome to play golf at any course they wish, and so they should be. My best friend is of Asian decent and stands out like a sore thumb when he plays at my club. Not so much for his colour, but the fact he is the noisiest person on the course 😁

In the U.S., we've got public courses and private courses.  The privates can generally do whatever they want, although pressure from the outside may sometimes convince them otherwise. See the old stories about Shoal Creek, for instance.

Public courses will sell a ticket to anyone with the cash to buy one and its that cash that is the problem.  @ejm1994 mentioned economic barriers. Basically, racial injustice leads to poverty and poverty makes golf (even on the public level) not affordable.

Make no mistake, there are many white people that are too poor to consider golf either, but the number of blacks in poverty is disproportionate to their percentage of the population.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

In the U.S., we've got public courses and private courses.  The privates can generally do whatever they want, although pressure from the outside may sometimes convince them otherwise. See the old stories about Shoal Creek, for instance.

Public courses will sell a ticket to anyone with the cash to buy one and its that cash that is the problem.  @ejm1994 mentioned economic barriers. Basically, racial injustice leads to poverty and poverty makes golf (even on the public level) not affordable.

Make no mistake, there are many white people that are too poor to consider golf either, but the number of blacks in poverty is disproportionate to their percentage of the population.

It's not the same in the UK fortunately. Of course, there are a few liberals and non achieving black people who do claim racial injustice, but in reality it just doesn't exist. I am proud of this, and am sure it will continue. Of course, if the US does have a disproportionate amount of black people in poverty, it is important the reasons behind this be investigated, as I would be surprised if it is genuinely down to any form of racism, well it isn't over here anyway. I believe so few people of colour play golf is cultural, and that may never change. Our golf club system also appears a little different to yours. Whilst we have a few council owned golf clubs (municipal) , there are very few left now, as most were sold off. The vast majority are private, however nearly all of them welcome pay and play golfers, as most wouldn't survive without them. 

- Simon Hornsby

I live in a private country club gated community.  My community and the surrounding neighborhoods are predominately white.  To live in my community, you must be at a minimum a social member of the country club.  We have a few African-Americans living in the community as well as other races.  They are all in the minority.  

We have several African-American families who are golf members and they play.  A couple of them are quite good.  Can't tell you why more don't live here.  We have lots and lots of people living here who were not born in the US.  I heard a remark from a new resident's Mother-in-Law the other day.  She said, "beautiful neighborhood, huge lots, big homes but filled with Republicans and Oil Men.   Dang...she hit the nail right on the head.  That is why I live here.  

Edited by RickK

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

On 6/29/2020 at 10:36 PM, RickK said:

I live in a private country club gated community.  My community and the surrounding neighborhoods are predominately white.  To live in my community, you must be at a minimum a social member of the country club.  We have a few African-Americans living in the community as well as other races.  They are all in the minority.  

We have several African-American families who are golf members and they play.  A couple of them are quite good.  Can't tell you why more don't live here.  We have lots and lots of people living here who were not born in the US.  I heard a remark from a new resident's Mother-in-Law the other day.  She said, "beautiful neighborhood, huge lots, big homes but filled with Republicans and Oil Men.   Dang...she hit the nail right on the head.  That is why I live here.  

My parents and  sister’s family live in Weston Lakes.  I really like the area.  I have been meaning to play the course but have not found the time.  Do they have any regular games on weekends or any day for that matter?

Edited by Ccred1992

:ping:    Driver, 3 wood  G410 Plus  G 700 irons  :cleveland:  CBX 50-54-56  :scotty_cameron: Squareback   Gigem

On 6/25/2020 at 1:03 PM, Mr Puddle said:

It's not the same in the UK fortunately. Of course, there are a few liberals and non achieving black people who do claim racial injustice, but in reality it just doesn't exist. I am proud of this, 

You have got to be kidding Mr Puddle. There’s plenty racism in the UK, but having lived and worked in the US as well as different cities in the UK, I will admit that racism is less of an issue in most parts of Britain, than in many parts of the US.

Stevie T

16 hours ago, Beastie said:

You have got to be kidding Mr Puddle. There’s plenty racism in the UK, but having lived and worked in the US as well as different cities in the UK, I will admit that racism is less of an issue in most parts of Britain, than in many parts of the US.

Please keep the conversation about diversity and not about racism. Mr Puddle has demonstrated his bias in other threads.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 7/4/2020 at 11:28 AM, Ccred1992 said:

My parents and  sister’s family live in Weston Lakes.  I really like the area.  I have been meaning to play the course but have not found the time.  Do they have any regular games on weekends or any day for that matter?

Well, I am old so I play in the SMGA.  We have regular "play days" on Tuesday and Thursday mornings and then a smaller group plays on Saturday afternoons.  The MGA has a group that play every Saturday morning and then they have smaller groups that play around noon on Wednesday and noon on Friday.  

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

• 2 months later...
On 7/4/2020 at 7:33 PM, Beastie said:

I have never played at any club in the where they mind black people playing. At my club we even let them use the same  facilities 😁

- Simon Hornsby

My club is so diverse...they let ME play there.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I for one don't care for the tone of the "humor" in these past few posts.

Nor do I, and @Mr Puddle will yet again be serving a timeout.

And if @Mr Puddle makes any comment about how he doesn't think this was bad, or indicates that he fails to see what he did wrong here, or anything of the sort, either now or before the 20 points I gave him expire in a year, he'll be gone permanently.

This type of behavior is not tolerated here.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1307 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!