26 posts / 1631 viewsLast Reply

I've been carrying a left-handed Cleveland niblick for several years.  It is good for 100 yards max and I use it whenever circumstances prohibit playing a right-handed shot.  The idea was (and still is) that advancing the ball is preferable to taking a drop.  

P.S.  It has 42 degrees of loft and I do chip with it...just not very often.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am impressed that you can hit a wedge 100 yards left handed.  I would be lucky if I could just punch it out of trouble left handed.  I am very seriously right handed and doing anything lefty is a mission for me.

If you can hit decent shots left handed, perhaps you should consider getting a hybrid, mid iron and your existing wedge into the bag.  You will then be able to hit decent shots from anywhere left handed.

2 hours ago, pganapathy said:

I am impressed that you can hit a wedge 100 yards left handed.  I would be lucky if I could just punch it out of trouble left handed.  I am very seriously right handed and doing anything lefty is a mission for me.

Note that the club Piz is referencing has 42 degrees of loft, which is about a 9 iron in a GI set. 

Planning to try a cleveland smart sole out soon. My chipping need to be foolproofed. Practise fine but on the course mental blocks and the fear of duffing make me duff or hit the ball across the green in fear. I have a dirt cheap chipper I experimented with before and it works on decent lies and produce better results then good chips with the putting stroke.  Pitches is fine there you can have somewhat of a natural swing and just use the club weight to direct where to hit the ball. I do hope the weight of the smart sole make it´s range far superior to my old chipper and a bit less then a one trick pony.

2 minutes ago, knott said:

Planning to try a cleveland smart sole out soon. My chipping need to be foolproofed. Practise fine but on the course mental blocks and the fear of duffing make me duff or hit the ball across the green in fear. I have a dirt cheap chipper I experimented with before and it works on decent lies and produce better results then good chips with the putting stroke.  Pitches is fine there you can have somewhat of a natural swing and just use the club weight to direct where to hit the ball. I do hope the weight of the smart sole make it´s range far superior to my old chipper and a bit less then a one trick pony.

I skulled the very first chip I did with this club. Not fool proof by any means. Easier, but not magical.

Did you use a putting stroke? Is it possible to skull? In heavy rough I can see it´s possible 😄 I never skull my putter 🙂

26 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I skulled the very first chip I did with this club. Not fool proof by any means. Easier, but not magical.

Are you telling us the TV commercial is less than truthful?  There's a first...

47 minutes ago, knott said:

Did you use a putting stroke? Is it possible to skull? In heavy rough I can see it´s possible 😄 I never skull my putter 🙂

I've hit my putter fat many times

3 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Thanks. Make me sound good then lol. To be serious I think I averaged 4 on chip and putting last two  rounds per hole... That includes a hole where I was on the green on two and managed to putt me out of it 😛
But I never skull the ball lol

3 hours ago, colin007 said:

I was goofing around with another putter yesterday....thinking it might be my gamer....NOPE....fatted a putt 10 ft on a 20 ft putt...DUH.

Again...more things we have in common....UGH....lol.

4 hours ago, knott said:

My chipping need to be foolproofed. Practise fine but on the course mental blocks and the fear of duffing make me duff or hit the ball across the green in fear. I have a dirt cheap chipper I experimented with before and it works on decent lies and produce better results then good chips with the putting stroke.  Pitches is fine there you can have somewhat of a natural swing and just use the club weight to direct where to hit the ball. I do hope the weight of the smart sole make it´s range far superior to my old chipper and a bit less then a one trick pony.

I'm also a MENTAL MIDGET like you...practice pitch & chips are good...just can't bring it to REAL golf on the course.....chunks and skulls.....someone shoot me.😁

My wife has a cheap chipper..but I can't get to work magic...so it is gone after I demo it after 1 rd...ad I don't want to lose another club in the bag with a chipper.

I use to sometimes chip with a hybrid but sometimes I get hot shots off the explosive face.

I tried a chipper for a while but found it too limiting. I decided that I would rather learn to hit my wedges correctly for the added options. Chipping is one part of my game that has actually improved.

I find myself scratching my head in this discussion.  I can’t tell who is serious, and it messing with me 

Yeah jesus christ almighty. Took the chipper out on the course today and it saved me three shots in 9 holes. So easy. Chipper forever in the bag from now on here 🙂 I am still cooler then most people because I carry my own clubs. It compensate well for my GI irons with power holes wilson D7 and my chipper which many straight out laugh when it comes out 😄

17 hours ago, knott said:

Thanks. Make me sound good then lol. To be serious I think I averaged 4 on chip and putting last two  rounds per hole... That includes a hole where I was on the green on two and managed to putt me out of it 😛
But I never skull the ball lol

14 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

I was goofing around with another putter yesterday....thinking it might be my gamer....NOPE....fatted a putt 10 ft on a 20 ft putt...DUH.

Again...more things we have in common....UGH....lol.

I'm also a MENTAL MIDGET like you...practice pitch & chips are good...just can't bring it to REAL golf on the course.....chunks and skulls.....someone shoot me.😁

My wife has a cheap chipper..but I can't get to work magic...so it is gone after I demo it after 1 rd...ad I don't want to lose another club in the bag with a chipper.

I use to sometimes chip with a hybrid but sometimes I get hot shots off the explosive face.

Yeah I think my putter stroke bottoms out slightly behind the ball, so I catch the ball just as the putter head is starting to ascend. But yeah, stubbing a putt is the worsssssssstttttttt

2 hours ago, colin007 said:

But yeah, stubbing a putt is the worsssssssstttttttt

I hate when I do that!

Got my Cleveland Smart Sole C chipper today and initial testing show huge promise. I really lucked out on the shaft length and lie its custom fitted. Exact same length of the putter I bought just because of the stance I got with it. I can do a clean straight y-shaped pendulum shot that is absolutely impossible to miss in the most natural stance ever. Power delivery is the only thing my mind really need to be occupied with.  Can use as much wrist action I want to add power with full control I can let loose it´s so easy with so few muscle groups having to work in combination. Full swings are surprisingly comfortable as well which I truly didn´t expect. Was getting dark but appeared to get the same distance as my 50 degree gw. Well hitted GW have a bit more of the trajectory I would want though as it goes higher and I believe with more spin. But can´t wait to test the chipper out as a fool proof GW replacement.

I tried it in deep rough that have you go uuuunghgn. Seems to work very much like a short range hybrid in it´s ability to maintain enough pace to get some power to get the ball out. My 50 degree cleveland cbx I struggled with getting out with such consistency. It´s ligher clubhead tended to be more affect by the grass before finding the ball.

Now curious how it will  do with sand traps but yet to be tested. 

Appear to be more useful  then I thought. 

18 holes in I believe I am in love. So many roll ins with super accuracy besides the pin. And one rollin directly into the hole. Feel like I can use it and get the exact same precision as a putter close range. And due to the secure strike my dispersion so far is great with it also on full shots.  The pressure of hitting it well is off I can relax with it so much which of course helps distance control with less adrenaline behind the stroke and only have to think about pacing. 
Approach shots from 70 metres excellent results also. One blooper though. Had a lie behind some rocks but they where a bit ahead and I was sure I would have enough launch to clear them. I was wrong. At one point I thought it was my undoing but luckilly it bounced right up and oob 90 degrees in the wrong direction :D. That hole the very same chipper saved a double bogey by a 5 metre chip into the hole.