IGNORED

Old School Putting!

It drives me nuts to see a pro hit a ball 4 feet past the hole on a 4 or 5 foot putt!

Have they never heard of “die at the hole”? 
I know there’s a novel theory these days about putting 18 inches past the hole, but I’m old school and follow Harvey Penick’s putting style, “die at the hole” 

It means the back of the hole! The ball should run out of energy at the back of the cup and never run past it! 

This style causes more balls to fall in the cup even from the side if your off line than any other style!

Thats my experience playing and watching golf every week.

• Like 1

When it comes to putting, my personal mistakes are always leaving them short.   When I practice I try to stop the putt 12" behind but it seems like my focus is having the ball die in the hole which for me on slower greens tends to leave putts short.  Obviously it varies from player to player and each green is different but for me personally, I need to focus on putts about 12" behind the hole. 

I've read the "Little Red Book" and agree with his thoughts.   I personally can't focus on the back of the cup.    I have "issues"!

• Like 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The thing that drives me nuts is leaving any chip or putt short. I would rather be 4' past then 4" short. I know it doesn't make sense but I'm just damn tired of leaving shots short. Similar reasoning to clubbing to the back yardage even if the pin is middle green.

• iacas changed the title to Old School Putting!
24 minutes ago, iacas said:

Amateurs leave a ridiculous percentage of putts inside 12’ short.

I know you meant 12" short. That's true. Like my birdie putt on 7 that died 1" from the hole.

@golfthymeWe also don't play on greens like they do in PGA tournaments. If we struck our putt that gently for a 12' putt they'd stop after about 6' on most of the greens we play. 

1 minute ago, DrvFrShow said:

I know you meant 12" short. That's true. Like my birdie putt on 7 that died 1" from the hole.

He means starting position of the ball. Once we get inside 12 feet we have a tendency to under hit.

1 minute ago, Bonvivant said:

He means starting position of the ball. Once we get inside 12 feet we have a tendency to under hit.

Oh well... yeah... that too...  I've left 12" putts short as well. lmao.

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

Golfers leave putts inside 12 feet short a ridiculously high percentage of the time.

That is funny because today I told myself to not take the putter back as far on putts, but make sure I hit it firmer. I made more putts and the ones I missed lipped out. I have always been "let it fall in the hole" and I usually decelerated instead of hitting it firm. I think I was afraid of hitting it 4 or more feet past the cup.

On 8/8/2020 at 10:52 AM, golfthyme said:

It drives me nuts to see a pro hit a ball 4 feet past the hole on a 4 or 5 foot putt!

Have they never heard of “die at the hole”? 
I know there’s a novel theory these days about putting 18 inches past the hole, but I’m old school and follow Harvey Penick’s putting style, “die at the hole” 

It means the back of the hole! The ball should run out of energy at the back of the cup and never run past it! 

This style causes more balls to fall in the cup even from the side if your off line than any other style!

Thats my experience playing and watching golf every week.

I wouldn't really call this true.   Tom Watson used bang all of his putts in the back of the hole and missed 5' past all the time, and he was considered one of the best, if not THE best, putter of his generation.  He felt he was more accurate being aggressive and putting through breaks, and he had no fear of missing the 5' comebacker.   

• Administrator
On 8/11/2020 at 12:35 PM, lastings said:

I wouldn't really call this true.   Tom Watson used bang all of his putts in the back of the hole and missed 5' past all the time, and he was considered one of the best, if not THE best, putter of his generation.  He felt he was more accurate being aggressive and putting through breaks, and he had no fear of missing the 5' comebacker.   

Phil Mickelson just said the same thing, and it was proven to be quite false. Perception is often not reality.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Phil Mickelson just said the same thing, and it was proven to be quite false. Perception is often not reality.

I think its the mirrored aviators. 

34 minutes ago, golfthyme said:

Works for me!

i saw Tony F. Make a 20 footer during the pga and it died at the hole and fell in from the side of the cup!

works for me!

My wife made a 60 footer the other day. So what? She’s a better putter than Tony? Dude, you need to take a chill pill.

All I know is that 100% of my short putts do  not go in.  If I try to give enough speed to get a little past the hole I have a chance as long as I am on-line.  

I have nowhere near the skill to accurately gauge speed to die in the hole with any consistency.

Go for it!

more power to ya!

im not telling anyone how to Putt or how to play, it’s just my method, that’s all!

to each his own! Golf has many methods none are right or wrong just different that’s all!