IGNORED

TST Takes on Sand Valley, WI (July 18-23, 2021)

cipher
Note:Β This thread is 951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Tentatively in for the lake house accommodations. We have a full house there at this point and we're stretching those accommodations a bit, haha.Β Being that these are tentative ins, this could easily change if it doesn't work out from someone.

1. Me @cipher

2. @iacas

3. @mvmac

4. @Slim_Pivot

5. @GolfLug

6. @DeadMan

7. @Hardspoon

8. @DaveP043

I will start looking at the days we want to golf and run that by everyone next.

• Upvote 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5)Β :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI)Β :benhogan:Β Icon(4-PW)Β :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:PutterΒ :snell:Β MTB BlackΒ Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

MIssed another one...lol

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

5 minutes ago, TN94z said:

MIssed another one...lol

I wasn't ready to have this much interest so quickly. Haha.Β Keep in mind it's all tentative so things could change quickly.Β Β 

Nate

:pxg:(10.5)Β :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI)Β :benhogan:Β Icon(4-PW)Β :edel:(52/58)

2 minutes ago, cipher said:

I wasn't ready to have this much interest so quickly.

I'm not surprised. Everyone is cooped up at home and dreaming of traveling. Plus, there's not going to be a better way to play these courses. I took a one day trip to Pasatiempo a year ago that probably cost more than this trip will, haha.Β 

Mammoth Dunes and Sand Valley are courses that have been on my list, but there's not an easy way to pull them off for me. This is an incredible way to do it. If it's half as fun as the Newport Cup, it will be an amazing experience. And it may be more fun if we're not all competing against each other.

One thing to add to what @cipherΒ said about travelΒ is that flying into Milwaukee would give you the opportunity to tack Erin Hills on at the front or back end of the trip. Another course in the area that I've heard of is Lawsonia Links, looks like it's about an hour away from Sand Valley, but I have no idea whether that's close to the lake house or further away.

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway:Β ParadymΒ :callaway:Β Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

Β :aimpoint:

(edited)
AF1QipM0hbMKT2IPPssCSZnRi4qqEJEEt5bfUHB5

β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜… Β· Lake Β· Wisconsin

Β 

This is the lake where we will be staying if anyone wants to get an idea where we will be and what is around there(Not muchπŸ™‚).Β The other golf options I found so far are close to SV, but I know there are some courses west of the lake near Eau Claire(Wisconsin and it's goofy city names) that may be an option as well.Β Β 

Day 1: Mammoth / Sand Box

Day 2: Sand Valley / Sand Box

Day 3: We need to decide

Day 4: (If we want)We need to decide.

Β 

Good observations @DeadMan, Lawsonia is about 2 hours EastΒ from the lake.Β  Might be a good option on the way out from MKE or on the way back to MKE.Β  I'm looking forward to playing with you again and not having you kick my butt in a competition.Β Β πŸ˜‰Β  Drive from MKE to the lake is 3 hours so just be prepared for that if you go that route.Β  I live just west of MKE in the town of Delafield.

One thing to add to whatΒ @cipherΒ said about travelΒ is that flying into Milwaukee would give you the opportunity to tack Erin Hills on at the front or back end of the trip. Another course in the area that I've heard of is Lawsonia Links, looks like it's about an hour away from Sand Valley, but I have no idea whether that's close to the lake house or further away.

Β 

Β 

Edited by cipher
  • Like 1

Nate

Head of my home organization has approved my involvement with this excursion.. SoΒ barring anything out of my control I am looking forward to it.

Big part of the reason for my immediate interest is that these courses (especially Mammoth) were already on my short list of destinationsΒ to plan a trip next year including Cabot Cliffs/Links and Streamsong, which I will plan for the following years to come now.Β 

Anyway, couldn't be happier to join this group. Hopefully the planet will still be rotating Eastward next July asΒ it is today...πŸ˜‰Β 

Edited by GolfLug
  • Like 2

Vishal S.

2 hours ago, cipher said:

Day 1: Mammoth / Sand Box

Day 2: Sand Valley / Sand Box

Day 3: We need to decide

Day 4: (If we want)We need to decide

I know that many golf trips involve playing as many different courses as possible within the time allowed.Β  However, considering the reputation of both of these courses, it wouldn't bother me at all to play one (or both) of them twice.Β  But as someone who has taken the lead in planning a bunch of trips, I promise that I will be happy playing any course that gets selected.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator

This is Nate's trip for sure, but until he tells me differently, I'll assume the Vice President position. Just for planning, and thoughts. And I basically just intend to say which way we're leaning, withΒ all of thisΒ highly subject to change.

3 hours ago, DeadMan said:

One thing to add to what @cipherΒ said about travelΒ is that flying into Milwaukee would give you the opportunity to tack Erin Hills on at the front or back end of the trip. Another course in the area that I've heard of is Lawsonia Links, looks like it's about an hour away from Sand Valley, but I have no idea whether that's close to the lake house or further away.

I had mentioned Lawsonia Links to Nate. I think the best way to play that might be something like this:

Day 0 - Fly in (most people), carpool, and travel out to Nate's cabin.will likely carpool.
Day 1 - Sand Valley/Elsewhere
Day 2 - Sand Valley/Elsewhere
Day 3 - Sand Valley/Elsewhere
Day 4 - Sand Valley/Elsewhere
Day 5 - Play Lawsonia and fly out (for most people)

I'm saying "Sand Valley/Elsewhere" because Nate has mentioned a few other highly ranked courses in the area that are aΒ wee bitΒ cheaper than the $225/$65 at Sand Valley. There's only so many $290 days I think we want to plan on. But also, we're two foursomes, so we can even split up (though that's probably not what most would want to do, just that it's an option if someoneΒ reallyΒ wants to go to SV three or four days and othersΒ reallyΒ don't want to).

3 hours ago, cipher said:

The other golf options I found so far are close to SV, but I know there are some courses west of the lake near Eau Claire (Wisconsin and it's goofy city names) that may be an option as well.

Could you list those courses you shared with me, Nate?

3 hours ago, cipher said:

Good observations @DeadMan, Lawsonia is about 2 hours EastΒ from the lake.Β  Might be a good option on the way out from MKE or on the way back to MKE.

Yeah, for others: NateΒ and I talked about playing Lawsonia a few days ago. Initially I had said on the way there but it's more likely easier on the way back - leave in the morning and play it before heading home that night.

FWIW I'll be driving (at least to Nate's real house), so I can probably bring an extra push cart or two.

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

Head of my home organization has approved my involvement with this excursion.. SoΒ barring anything out of my control I am looking forward to it.

Let's hope "width" applies to two things by then: your backswing AND the fairways at Sand Valley. πŸ˜„

52 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I know that many golf trips involve playing as many different courses as possible within the time allowed.Β  However, considering the reputation of both of these courses, it wouldn't bother me at all to play one (or both) of them twice.Β  But as someone who has taken the lead in planning a bunch of trips, I promise that I will be happy playing any course that gets selected.

We'll talk.

Nate, when do you think we'll book the rounds? When does Sand Valley begin to fill up? Since it's 90 minutes from your cabin, and since light is long in July, even a 10am start will give us a ton of time to play the par three course afterward, any day, and relax.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Here's the list I have, and I'm guessing at some of these categories, so just move yourself if you're not in the right one and re-post the list.

Virtually certain (Rules of Golf level stuff here!) in:

1. @cipher
  2. @iacas
  3. Β 
  4. Β 
  5. Β 
  6. Β 
  7. Β 
  8. Β 

High likelihood of being in:

1. @DaveP043
  2. @DeadMan
  3. @GolfLug
  4. @mvmac

Most likely in:

1. @Slim_Pivot
  2. @Hardspoon
  3. @TN94z
  4. @ChetlovesMer

For those counting at home, that's 10. We have a pretty hard limit of eight here.

Β 

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
17 minutes ago, iacas said:

Could you list those courses you shared with me, Nate?

Yeah, for others: NateΒ and I talked about playing Lawsonia a few days ago. Initially I had said on the way there but it's more likely easier on the way back - leave in the morning and play it before heading home that night.

Nate, when do you think we'll book the rounds? When does Sand Valley begin to fill up? Since it's 90 minutes from your cabin, and since light is long in July, even a 10am start will give us a ton of time to play the par three course afterward, any day, and relax.

I just called SV actually in response to @DaveP043'sΒ post.Β They won't allow us to make tee times until 30 days prior to the date since we are not staying at the resort.Β But they said we should not have much of a problem with the long days up here at that time.Β We may have to be a littleΒ more flexible with the time of day.Β  I had no issues when I booked for August this season.

It would require us to get 1 of these basically for advanced tee times which raises costs substantially.Β  Personally I'd rather just make the drive each way from the lake.Β 

Lake Leopold Cottages feature four double queen bedrooms and with a large common room are the perfect option for groups of 8.

Here are some links to some other options.Β  Northern Bay might be a bit of a gimmick, I have not played any of themΒ other than Wild Rock which I really enjoyed.Β  I am not having much luck finding anything good in Eau Claire or La Crosse so far.Β  Lawsonia is nearly 2 and a half hours from the lake.Β Β 

Spoiler

SentryWorld is home to a world-class 18-hole golf course in Wisconsin. It also includes banquet facilities, a restaurant, and a sports complex.

Wild Rock Golf Club, Championship 18-hole golf course in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin. A Hurdzan & Fry design.
Lawsonia_FullLogo_BK+NEW+2014+DEER.gif?f

The Golf Courses of Lawsonia offers two wonderfully unique 18 hole golf experiences on the same property. The Links course is annually ranked as one of the very best courses in the country, and The Woodlands course...

Β 

Β 

Also those fairways are plenty wide for @GolfLugand I @iacasΒ ! It's tough to lose a golf ball there.Β  We will all most likely play with one ball each round.

Edited by cipher
  • Like 1

Nate

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Here's the list I have, and I'm guessing at some of these categories, so just move yourself if you're not in the right one and re-post the list.

1. @cipher
  2. @iacas
  3. Β 
  4. Β 
  5. Β 
  6. Β 
  7. Β 
  8. Β 

1. @DaveP043
  2. @DeadMan
  3. @GolfLug
  4. @mvmac

Most likely in:

1. @Slim_Pivot
  2. @Hardspoon
  3. @TN94z
  4. @ChetlovesMer

For those counting at home, that's 10. We have a pretty hard limit of eight here.

Β 

I'm not sure that my category should be "Most Likely In"? I think I'm more of a "Would like to be in, but will have to wait and see..." Something like that.

Β 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs.Β 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.Β 

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

Let's hope "width" applies to two things by then: your backswing AND the fairways at Sand Valley. πŸ˜„

If I have to prioritize - it would have to be the fairways first. 😜

Β 

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

1. @cipher
  2. @iacas
  3. Β 
  4. Β 
  5. Β 
  6. Β 
  7. Β 
  8. Β 

1. @DaveP043
  2. @DeadMan
  3. @GolfLug
  4. @mvmac

Most likely in:

1. @Slim_Pivot
  2. @Hardspoon
  3. @TN94z
  4. @ChetlovesMer

Β 

I'm in. I'm in. Certain. 100%.Β 

Gosh I can't handle the pressure.. ha ha

Vishal S.

1. @cipher
  2. @iacas
  3. @DeadMan
  4. Β 
  5. Β 
  6. Β 
  7. Β 
  8. Β 

1. @DaveP043
  2. Β 
  3. @GolfLug
  4. @mvmac

Most likely in:

1. @Slim_Pivot
  2. @Hardspoon
  3. @TN94z
  4. @ChetlovesMer

Β 

Moved myself into virtually certain.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway:Β ParadymΒ :callaway:Β Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

Β :aimpoint:

I believe I'm in the Virtually Certain category as well.Β  When Mary Anne says "Go!", I say "Where when?Β Of course!"

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1. @cipher
  2. @iacas
  3. @DeadMan
  4. @GolfLug
  5. @DaveP043
  6. Β 
  7. Β 
  8. Β 

1. Β 
  2. Β 
  3. Β 
  4. @mvmac

Most likely in:

1. @Slim_Pivot
  2. @Hardspoon
  3. @TN94z
  4. @ChetlovesMer
Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

(edited)

Β 

whistlingstraits_straitscourse1.jpg

A list of the best Wisconsin golf courses for 2020.

A list created by other Wisconsin golfers.Β  Sentry World is pretty high on the list, Lawsonia, and Wild Rock.Β  I wish Big Fish(dye) was a little closer than 2.5 hours.

1573414224230.jpeg

We rank the top venues in Wisconsin (2019-'20)

Β 

Β 

Edited by cipher

Nate

(edited)

Personally I'm leaning towards these options, but am open to what everyone else wants.Β  We probably want to try this during the week if were booking SV tee times 30 days out.

I am thinking we start golfing maybe on Monday the 19th or Tuesday the 20th.Β  Again, I am very open to discussion on all of this.

1.Β Mammoth or SV and the Sand Box $290

2.Β Mammoth or SV and the Sand Box $290

3.Β Mammoth or SV and the Sand Box $290Β 

4. Sentry World ($155) orΒ Mammoth or SV and the Sand Box ($290)

5. Lawsonia ($120) or Erin Hills($320) - If you would be doing this on the way out it would be recommended to maybe fly out of Milwaukee.

So, costs:

The 4Β days of golf with Sentry world would be roughly $1025 for the golf.

All 4 days all at SV would be $1160

5 days with Lawsonia $1145.

5 days with Erin hills or Whistling toΒ something else you would want to do...have fun and good on you for having limitless income.Β A word of advice for Whistling and Erin, Whistling requires a caddy i believe, so your probably looking at ($750) and Erin has so many blind shots that you likely need one.Β Β 

If someone wants to just golf the first three days, that is an option too.Β  @Slim_PivotΒ I apologize I was a bit low maybe on my initial calculations.Β  I was originally thinking of 3-4Β days instead of 4-5 days.Β I am all for as much golf as possible though.Β Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by cipher

Nate

Note:Β This thread is 951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!