IGNORED

Will a Ball Rollback Be Announced by 2023?

Note: This thread is 1224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ball Rollback by 2023?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Will the USGA/R&A announce that they are rolling back golf ball distance by January 1, 2023?

• Yes, for all golfers.
    • Yes, but only for top players.
    • No.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/2022 at 04:59 AM

• Administrator

Just a poll. Please answer above and explain your answer(s) below. This isn't about whether a rollback will be implemented, only announced with a date most likely in the near future.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted.  My vote may be a bit of wishful thinking, but I'm relying to a large extent on what the Conclusions of the Distance Insights said.  I haven't seen anything over the past 8 or 9 months that varies significantly from the data and trends reported back then.  I do think we're likely to see additional regulation of equipment to "stall" distance gains from equipment, but I don't think we'll see rollbacks for every day players, and I don't think an (optional) local rule requiring "distance limited" equipment is really a workable option.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I don't think the USGA will bifurcate, and this will hurt 99% of golfers more than the top 1%. It seems like every ball maker and club maker boast of distance gains every time they come out with a new product. I can't recall anyone touting accuracy as a number one selling point. I really think the USGA will make a big mistake, and possibly, drive people from the game if they roll back the ball. I play with a bunch of old guys, and am longer than most of them, but our greens are very tricky, and I am not a good putter. There is a lot more to the game than hitting the ball a long way.

I think it’s just too damn much to do with such poor arguments for whatever benefits they think it may bring. Golf has been hard for hundreds of years and it will continue to be so. Leave it be.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I truly think @DaveP043, @Sandy Divot and @Vinsk are 100% correct. Having said that I think they are going to announce a roll back. Personally, I think its a terrible idea, but I think they are going to do it. They will announce a roll back in distance with a staggered implementation date. First, the PGA tour pros will get a "deadened" ball and then a few years later the rest of us will. 

Once again, I want to say I am TOTALLY against the idea. I think @DaveP043 has perfectly summed up my thoughts. Never-the-less, I feel like all signs are heading to them doing it.

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I don't think the ball will be rolled back. There aren't any good reasons to do it, and I think common sense prevails.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

27 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I truly think @DaveP043, @Sandy Divot and @Vinsk are 100% correct. Having said that I think they are going to announce a roll back. Personally, I think its a terrible idea, but I think they are going to do it. They will announce a roll back in distance with a staggered implementation date. First, the PGA tour pros will get a "deadened" ball and then a few years later the rest of us will. 

Once again, I want to say I am TOTALLY against the idea. I think @DaveP043 has perfectly summed up my thoughts. Never-the-less, I feel like all signs are heading to them doing it.

I haven't seen any such signs.  The only thing that the USGA/R&A have mentioned are the things I also mentioned.  The following are from the Next Steps discussed in the Conclusions report:

1. We will assess the potential use of a Local Rule option that would specify use of clubs and/or
balls intended to result in shorter hitting distances. ......This could
allow committees that conduct golf competitions or oversee individual courses to choose, by Local Rule
authorized under the Rules of Golf, whether and when to require that such equipment be used. ......

2. We will also review the overall conformance specifications for both clubs and balls, including
specifications that both directly and indirectly affect hitting distances. The intended purpose of this review
is to consider whether any existing specifications should be adjusted or any new specifications should be
created to help mitigate the continuing distance increases. It is not currently intended to consider revising
the overall specifications in a way that would produce substantial reductions in hitting distances at all
levels of the game.

I've certainly read and heard talking heads predicting distance reductions, but if you accept that the USGA/R&A were honest in what the said back in February, overall distance roll-backs are not in their plans.  As I said, I've seen nothing in the results on the PGA Tour and nothing in releases from the Ruling Bodies that changes the situation.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

11 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I don't think the ball will be rolled back. There aren't any good reasons to do it, and I think common sense prevails.

What is this "common sense" of which you speak?

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I haven't seen any such signs. 

I really hope you are correct. 

1 minute ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I really hope you are correct. 

You tell me, what "signs" have you seen?  Have I missed anything from the USGA or R&A?  Have the distance trends on the PGA tour changed significantly from those presented in the report?  I'm not trying to give you grief, just wondering what has gone into the formation of your opinion.

Dave

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

You tell me, what "signs" have you seen?  Have I missed anything from the USGA or R&A?  Have the distance trends on the PGA tour changed significantly from those presented in the report?  I'm not trying to give you grief, just wondering what has gone into the formation of your opinion.

If you are trying to talk me off the ledge; You are doing a good job. Anyhow, it's just this feeling that every time a governing body of any sport starts "studying" a problem. They eventually make changes to make the problem go away. Whether or not the problem is really a problem doesn't seem to matter. Yeah, a lot of the smoke comes from the talking heads. So, I hope I'm just wrong. 

5 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I voted Yes for Everyone because the USGA and R&A suck like that.

And Carl sums it up. 

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I've certainly read and heard talking heads predicting distance reductions

Understatement. Many are acting like it’s a done deal.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Why roll the ball back? If distance (with driver mostly) truly is a problem (which I don’t agree) then just lower the maximum legal tee length from 4” down to 1 or 2. That way guys can’t hit up on driver as much. Guys will have to launch it lower, use more loft (lowering ball speed), or use more spin. No need to change balls or equipment. 

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Many are acting like it’s a done deal.

I haven’t seen anyone on Golf Channel or elsewhere talk like this. I could’ve missed it though. 

9 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I voted Yes for Everyone because the USGA and R&A suck like that.

2 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

And Carl sums it up. 

Just my opinion, the USGA/R&A did a pretty good job with the 2019 revision to the Rules.  The World Handicap System seems to be working just fine, after some initial difficulties in implementation.  The Conclusions document that I referenced seems to take a pretty balanced approach to the distance issue, and specifically says they're not planning to roll back distance for all of us.  I'm relying on that as being an honest summary of their plans.  As for whether we'll see bifurcation through a Local Rule, I'm guessing that it will turn out to be impractical for a number of reasons.  

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Understatement. Many are acting like it’s a done deal.

Yeah, but I know that those guys don't write the Rules, or else we'd have free relief from divots and a 1-stroke penalty for OB.  Heck, I heard John Cook and some other guy on PGA Tour Radio the other day saying the rules should be revised to allow free relief for mud balls, after watching the Women's US Open.

Dave

No.  As has been said, unless it’s for everyone, it would be a bifurcation of the rules which I genuinely don’t expect.  I could understand a condition of competition implemented on the tours, but not a bifurcation of the rules themselves.

Doing so for everyone would make a hard game even harder for many amateurs, especially newer players, the very group they’re trying to attract.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

11 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Just my opinion, the USGA/R&A did a pretty good job with the 2019 revision to the Rules.  The World Handicap System seems to be working just fine, after some initial difficulties in implementation.  The Conclusions document that I referenced seems to take a pretty balanced approach to the distance issue, and specifically says they're not planning to roll back distance for all of us.  I'm relying on that as being an honest summary of their plans.  As for whether we'll see bifurcation through a Local Rule, I'm guessing that it will turn out to be impractical for a number of reasons.  

I don't care for anything they've done. I have not renewed my USGA membership and do not intend to. They keep sending me crap and it goes right into the trash can.

- Shane

What will they do about club head speed? How will the stop Bryson, DJ, Wolff, Koepka, JT, Rory, Cameron, etc from swinging faster? They can swing a persimmon faster than anyone back in the old timer days, by a lot. They just flat out are better athletes no matter what Jack fans say. Will they require PGA pros to stop working out?

Just dumb.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!