IGNORED

2021 WGC - Workday Championship at The Concession

Zippo
Note: This thread is 1152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tough day for Victor Hovland. Having a great round - 8 under going into the 9th hole (his last). Sticks his drive into a fairway bunker and from there into the palmettos. Next over the green into the bunker under the far side edge. Out of there and back over the green into the palmettos where he takes an unplayable. Ends up with a snowman on his card after seven birdies! But, class act that he seems to be, no cursing or slurs. No slamming his club into the green. Just a forced smile and fist bumps with his caddie and playing partners.

Sorry. Can't seem to fix the title...

Edited by Zippo
Fixed embed
  • Thumbs Up 1

• iacas changed the title to 2021 WGC - Workday Championship at The Concession
1 hour ago, Zippo said:

Tough day for Victor Hovland. Having a great round - 8 under going into the 9th hole (his last). Sticks his drive into a fairway bunker and from there into the palmettos. Next over the green into the bunker under the far side edge. Out of there and back over the green into the palmettos where he takes an unplayable. Ends up with a snowman on his card after seven birdies! But, class act that he seems to be, no cursing or slurs. No slamming his club into the green. Just a forced smile and fist bumps with his caddie and playing partners.

Sorry. Can't seem to fix the title...

Noooo! I had him in my one-n-done!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Oops! I think he's gonna be one to watch, down the road, as he gains some experience.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

I have him on fantasy and it still worked out. Idk why but I am sort of rooting for Brooks this week. He had some crazy approach shots today, looking very solid. 

• Like 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I saw it live. And while watching, I recalled some advice @iacas gave me, The first rule of short game shots is to not leave yourself with another short game shot.

• Like 3

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I saw it live. And while watching, I recalled some advice @iacas gave me, The first rule of short game shots is to not leave yourself with another short game shot.

I agree with you

But, I’m not sure he was able (low percentage) to hit the green from the woods or back of the bunker...he’s not the best chipper / pitcher and those were some bad spots on fast greens with runoffs 

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

As good as that advice is, perhaps someone should have told him "Don't go from in play into the woods."  I thought the first play from the palmettos was pretty good, he had only one real option for an unplayable lie, and that was to go back to the fairway bunker.  I don't think he had a reasonable 2 clublength drop, and a drop in the bunker is likely to leave a partially plugged lie.  But for his next shot, from the back edge of the bunker, I thought perhaps he would have been better off playing sideways rather than towards the flag.   Given the location in the bunker, I didn't see any way to get it out and hit the green on the line he chose, it had to come out low and hot.  Of course, I've never understood the level of skills these guys have, maybe it was a good choice, and poor execution.

I definitely admired his responses at the time, and in the interview afterward.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

But for his next shot, from the back edge of the bunker, I thought perhaps he would have been better off playing sideways rather than towards the flag.   Given the location in the bunker, I didn't see any way to get it out and hit the green on the line he chose, it had to come out low and hot.  Of course, I've never understood the level of skills these guys have, maybe it was a good choice, and poor execution

When I saw the stance he was taking in the bunker, and how steep he had to swing, and what looked like a lie on the downslope, the first thought I had was that personally I would go out sideways or backward, because I would totally thin it over the green, or leave it in the bunker. Of course, PGA Tour players are miles better than me out of bunkers.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Nice win by Morikawa today.

Nice to see so many wearing red and black for Tiger, too Not just at this tournament but at several others as well including an LPGA golfer.

And, an excellent round by Hovland. A terrific shot from the edge of the weeds today. I enjoy watching him play. His round highlights here.

On 2/27/2021 at 4:34 AM, boogielicious said:

Ha! Good one. I'm gonna remind myself of that, though I think that can apply to drivers, too. Several put their drives into the water leaving themselves with another driver shot and laying 3...

46 minutes ago, Zippo said:

though I think that can apply to drivers, too.

Only if driver to the water is a common occurrence. Usually, hit the driver.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 1152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!