IGNORED

Weird Shank Problem?

Note: This thread is 1136 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have an unusual shank problem when golfing. It seems to only happen when I wear a golf hat? As soon as I take it off, the shanks disappear. Has anyone else experienced this?  Im wondering if this is related to my vision?

1 minute ago, Mixter7 said:

I have an unusual shank problem when golfing. It seems to only happen when I wear a golf hat? As soon as I take it off, the shanks disappear. Has anyone else experienced this?  Im wondering if this is related to my vision?

Maybe it’s because you’re not breathing out of your eyelids 

233fe0d1-c122-42ef-b827-8b3c46ec838f_scr

Bull Durham (1988) clip with quote Now, I want you to breathe through your eyelids. Yarn is the...

...or that your change should be in your left hand pocket with that hat on backwards

• Funny 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, Mixter7 said:

Seriously? 
Okay I wanted to make some sort of smart ass comment, but I'll resist the urge as it isn't likely to be as funny as what @woodzie264 posted anyway. Here's my advice take video of yourself hitting a ball with your hat on. Then take video hitting the ball without your hat. Take down the line and caddy view. Start a My Swing Thread and post them on this forum. 

I feel pretty certain that your hat has very little to do with shanking or not shanking. It's more likely the thing under your hat causing the issue. I'm betting if you have a real shanking problem with your hat, that problem will rear it's head (pun intended) sooner or later without your hat as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

50 minutes ago, Mixter7 said:

Stop. You’ve entered a realm for which you cannot explain. You’re circling the rabbit hole. Take caution. In the very near future you will shank with your hat off. And at that point young sailor, you will be looking at the grey sky from within the rabbit hole. 
Welcome.

• Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I think it's possible. I have some prescription sunglasses I'll wear while golfing sometimes. I will sometimes have trouble with ball contact while wearing them. I think it's because my brain thinks the ball is in a slightly different place because of the vision correction. So if your hat is somehow impeding your vision, then maybe.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Haha.....love the wise cracks, to me golf without humor for losers. But will try some of these suggestions. If I recall, didn’t Roy McLvoy have a weird shanking problem in ‘Tin Cup’?🤣

I figured it out......no it wasn’t the hat.....Lol. I was always taught to swing inside out, but took this too literally. My path was incorrect as I finished to far out and not around my body. I rarely ever hit slices. But this causes me to lead with the hosel and shank. I was able to fix it with the this tip from Saguto golf. Thank goodness!

I hope this helps someone.

• Administrator

And you only swing that way with your hat on?

:hmm:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Is Saguto Italian for obnoxious? 😄 That was hard to watch at times.

Edited by Carl3

3 minutes ago, Mixter7 said:

My farsightedness is excellent, but I wear 1.5x reading glasses when using a computer or reading.

Do you wear the glasses when hitting a golf ball? That can throw things off a bit.

(edited)

No I never have, but if you look at my earlier post, problem solved. I wasn’t finishing correctly with fear of coming over the top....the hat just seem to exacerbate the issue.

Edited by Mixter7

Note: This thread is 1136 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!