IGNORED

Recommended Driver for Beginner

Note: This thread is 1110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi, i am a high handicapper and have only started playing golf 3 months ago.

I picked up a wilson dd6 driver very cheaply to get me going,which i dont mind but feel i'd like something a bit more modern (within the last 5 years), which will hopefully give me more confidemce and help to straighten out a moderate slice at times.

I know practice and lessons are the best way to go,but i plan on being a recreational weekend golfer and so dont have loads of time to commit to this.i have an average 95mph swing speed and ideally would like an adjustible draw setting driver rather offset unless u think otherwise.i seem to be able to get good height from my current 10* loft driver. Im looking at spending  max150 pounds (uk money) so ebay second hand most likely.

Forgiveness and promoting a straight or draw based shape are my priorities...i am working on my in to out swing,but i normally hit straight if i slow it down and more of a slice if i swing faster.

Any suggestions would be welcome..

Ive looked into the following drivers

Callaway xr16

Cobra max (offset)

Cobra fmax (offset)

Taylormade m2 2017

Are there any obvious choices i am missing?

Any input would be much appreciated!

38 minutes ago, Ammers2021 said:

I picked up a wilson dd6 driver very cheaply to get me going,which i dont mind but feel i'd like something a bit more modern (within the last 5 years), which will hopefully give me more confidemce and help to straighten out a moderate slice at times.

I know practice and lessons are the best way to go,but i plan on being a recreational weekend golfer and so dont have loads of time to commit to this.i have an average 95mph swing speed and ideally would like an adjustible draw setting driver rather offset unless u think otherwise.i seem to be able to get good height from my current 10* loft driver. Im looking at spending  max150 pounds (uk money) so ebay second hand most likely.

Forgiveness and promoting a straight or draw based shape are my priorities...i am working on my in to out swing,but i normally hit straight if i slow it down and more of a slice if i swing faster.

Callaway xr16

Cobra max (offset)

Cobra fmax (offset)

Taylormade m2 2017

Best advice is to go to your local golf store and look at the used rack. There will be lots of driver that are a model year or two older that are still good driver. Then hit a bunch of them. Have fun with it. Pay attention to the shaft weight and flex too.

• Like 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

50 minutes ago, Ammers2021 said:

Callaway xr16

Cobra max (offset)

Cobra fmax (offset)

Taylormade m2 2017

Really what @boogielicious said is the way to go. Even the most modern drivers only help with mis-hits, not so much ‘mis-swings.’ And this is isn’t meant to be snarky..😃

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Completely understand your point.i suppose what i am meaning to say is, will a driver from the past 5 years make life that much easier than one from say 2005? Have they come that far in 15 years in terms of forgiveness?

And for instance,will an offset driver make much of a difference and would it be hard to switch back to a non offset driver further down the line? I line the cobra max and fmax but potentially they look like being designed for older or below average swing speed golfers?

All im after really is a driver i have confidence in,i am not bothered about hitting 300 yard drives....200 yards plus with a respectable flight will do me all day long.

3 minutes ago, Ammers2021 said:

Completely understand your point.i suppose what i am meaning to say is, will a driver from the past 5 years make life that much easier than one from say 2005? Have they come that far in 15 years in terms of forgiveness?

And for instance,will an offset driver make much of a difference and would it be hard to switch back to a non offset driver further down the line? I line the cobra max and fmax but potentially they look like being designed for older or below average swing speed golfers?

All im after really is a driver i have confidence in,i am not bothered about hitting 300 yard drives....200 yards plus with a respectable flight will do me all day long.

Yes. A lot of drivers now are very good. In 2005, few were really good. And the shafts are much more consistent than back then. You really just need to find one that fits your eye and sounds and feels good at impact.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

48 minutes ago, Ammers2021 said:

As Scott mentioned....shaft can really make some significant differences. It is true that newer technologies have really improved driver head performance. But you may find a shaft change to be just as much if not more influential on your drives. 

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

4 hours ago, Ammers2021 said:

The only thing I’m going to add to the conversation is to temper your expectations. A newer driver can help, but don’t expect it to solve you driver problems. I have a fitted driver (new last year) and a dozen years of experience under my belt and I’m still a poor driver of the ball (relative to my handicap). The equipment can only do so much.

4 hours ago, Ammers2021 said:

Don’t worry too much about this stuff. Find the club that’s best for your swing and enjoy the game more. That will be more beneficial in the long run.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Yeh i appreciate that. I don't expect a newer driver to make me a better player...if i can get a more recent one that inspires confidence then in theory thats a good starting place.then its up to me to make it work.

I guess because my current driver was old and cost £20,its easy to discount for a shinier newer one with more technology to minimise the effects of my bad shots.originally i bought as cheap as possible just incase i didnt know how much i'd enjoy playing...but i am loving it and so sooner or later i'd like to upgrade my driver for something reasonable that will last me for years to come!

Appreciate all the feedback!

They are giving you some great advice.   I thinking trying the driver before buy is the "only" way to go.   That being said, you mentioned the TaylorMade M2.   It's a very good club, but again, try it first.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

16 hours ago, Ammers2021 said:

I would say the ball speed retention on off center hits have improved a good amount since 2005. As for accuracy, that is more on the golfer. With driver club head shapes not changing much since 2005, and them being 460cc in volume. I would say a game improvement driver (forgiving) is similar in that regard. Though, I think the tech today is still slightly better. 

You can find a driver that is made even 5-6 years ago that will work out well. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Geez, I have a Callaway XR16 that is sitting on the sidelines, that if I could get to you I would probably give it to you at a very low price. To bad you are across the pond.

BTW, the XR16 is a very forgiving driver, great moi !

Edited by Billy Z

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

43 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Geez, I have a Callaway XR16 that is sitting on the sidelines, that if I could get to you I would probably give it to you at a very low price. To bad you are across the pond.

BTW, the XR16 is a very forgiving driver, great moi !

Ahh never mind...nice to know i'm looking along the right lines. Anybody played the callaway xr,the version before the xr16?...they seem to be pretty reasonably priced and plenty around on ebay....can be picked up for around £80 (€110).

Any Cobra driver from F6 to F8. All three are are very forgiving and won’t cost you an arm and a leg used. I’ve also read good things about the Cobra LTD driver but never tried one.

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

Note: This thread is 1110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!