IGNORED

What Are You Listening To?

Ceej

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Steve

Happy Birthday LvB! His 32 piano sonatas are just... words cannot express. 

Steve

Clever melding of Beethoven's famous piano pieces into Happy Birthday (245!)

Steve

Nevets, it is so good to see that there is another human being on this planet that appreciates classical music!!!! I thought I might be the only one left.

I loved the LVB violin sonata, although his one and only violin concerto is just stick-in-your-head-can't-get-it-out-of-your-mind incredible. I can remember my dad playing it on our big old hi-fi record player, and at the time I was into the Beatles and Jefferson Airplane, but I played that record over and over until I wore out the grooves it was so captivating and melodic. We had the one performed by Isaac Stern but here is one by Itzhak Perlman, a really clean and razor sharp performance, listen to how he articulates his notes. This is one of the few pieces of music that can move me to tears (Samuel Barbers Adagio for Strings is another) just by the sheer beauty,''

BTW, here is a comment posted by a viewer of the youtube video, I thought it was interesting:

This was written in 1806. It makes me crazy. In what sense of the word have we advanced as a species since then? I know, there's hot water and electricity and transistors so we can listen to hip hop on our phones at the dinner table instead of having conversations, and there are medicines that make us more comfortable when ill, but culturally speaking, are we not rocketing backwards into the stone age?

Not sure how to paste the URL in, but I think these links work....

dak4n6

7 hours ago, dak4n6 said:

Nevets, it is so good to see that there is another human being on this planet that appreciates classical music!!!! I thought I might be the only one left.

I loved the LVB violin sonata, although his one and only violin concerto is just stick-in-your-head-can't-get-it-out-of-your-mind incredible. I can remember my dad playing it on our big old hi-fi record player, and at the time I was into the Beatles and Jefferson Airplane, but I played that record over and over until I wore out the grooves it was so captivating and melodic. We had the one performed by Isaac Stern but here is one by Itzhak Perlman, a really clean and razor sharp performance, listen to how he articulates his notes. This is one of the few pieces of music that can move me to tears (Samuel Barbers Adagio for Strings is another) just by the sheer beauty,''

BTW, here is a comment posted by a viewer of the youtube video, I thought it was interesting:

This was written in 1806. It makes me crazy. In what sense of the word have we advanced as a species since then? I know, there's hot water and electricity and transistors so we can listen to hip hop on our phones at the dinner table instead of having conversations, and there are medicines that make us more comfortable when ill, but culturally speaking, are we not rocketing backwards into the stone age?

Not sure how to paste the URL in, but I think these links work....

Even in major cultural center type cities, there still aren't a lot of people, percentage of population wise - who listen to classical, despite lots of sold out concerts. It's always been a very very niche part of the music world, like golf w/sports but relative to the mid 20th century, it sounds like there were more listeners, I wasn't alive then to say anything about that though.

Beethoven was nowhere near as prolific as Mozart, doesn't have the virtuosic wow of Chopin, not the master of counterpoint as is Bach, but his solo, chamber, symphony and concerto work contain some of the most profound gut punching makes you feel alive music ever scored on paper.

Contemporary classical is doing pretty well imho. Lots of veteran and up and coming composers. There is a lot of good music out there, you just have to seek it out. But you don't have to go out of the way to some old dusty warehouse for the esoteric stuff anymore (well, for a long time now). it's just a couple of clicks or tap away.

And here is an example of the long tail at work:

Steve

Those were some very compelling pieces. Was that piano sonata a Phillip Glass piece?

It seems that these days the classical style is preserved mainly through film scores. Still, some very good composing. More that a few times I have tuned in to my local classical station and heard a piece that got my attention only to learn that it was a score to a movie. Of course, John Williams is like the godfather of film score. He is indeed a master composer.

Love the Millennium Falcon piano...

dak4n6

Here's a little something from one of my favorite bands of all time.  Two tunes, the first a modern jazz number, the second simple rock and roll.  Not everyone can do both styles so well.  I saw NRBQ a couple times at the Wax Museum, so my head might be in the crowd here.

Edited by DaveP043

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

not a big Bowie fan, but this is one of the most compelling and hypnotic songs ive ever heard.  i could easily have posted the video in the Films/Movies thread.  its a work of art.

Colin P.

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Here's a little something from one of my favorite bands of all time.  Two tunes, the first a modern jazz number, the second simple rock and roll.  Not everyone can do both styles so well.  I saw NRBQ a couple times at the Wax Museum, so my head might be in the crowd here.

I first got to know them at one of my favorite live shows of all time.  They were awesome!  It was Carlos Santana's Blues For Salvador at the Kaiser Auditorium in Oakland.  It was billed as a dance party with all the performers doing all sorts of collaborations.  Santana, Jerry Garcia, Caribbean All-stars, NRBQ, Bonnie Raitt, Boz Skaggs, Tower of Power.  I wish there was a tape floating around...

On 2/18/2015 at 0:52 PM, nevets88 said:

Nice @RandallT This escaped my radar. On first watch of Kate Davis. I thought, who is this woman? She's gonna be a star. Then I looked her up and her career is starting to take off. I love that she's a double bassist.

In case you haven't seen her in this.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• Administrator

My CORE speaker. Currently playing "Belong" by R.E.M.

image.thumb.jpg.e3de0aded5aeccd9a4f2dbe9

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, RandallT said:

In case you haven't seen her in this.

No, I missed it. Thanks!

Steve

Two ladies I'd never heard of until yesterday.

ZZ Ward:

and Marian Hill:

really digging the both (two others from my Amy Winehouse pandora station are Melody Gardot and Danielle Parente)

at the moment, sodding Maria Karey's christmas song for about the 50th flipping time :pound:

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333