Jump to content
IGNORED

Bryson DeChambeau Releases NFT, then Tiger


ChetlovesMer
 Share

Recommended Posts


Bryson DeChambeau apparently has some “big news” to share later today, as he hinted via Twitter on Monday afternoon. He’ll share such news at 3 p.m. ET. “Excited to share some big news at 3pm ET today,” DeChambeau teased...

 

Okay what do you think the "Big News" will be?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm guessing it's related to this: 

USATSI_15688622.jpg?w=640

Bryson DeChambeau keeps on changing the game. This time, he’s doing it off the course. On Monday, the bulked-up bomber who has been on a unique quest for more distance became the first golfer to re…

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

44 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Bryson DeChambeau apparently has some “big news” to share later today, as he hinted via Twitter on Monday afternoon. He’ll share such news at 3 p.m. ET. “Excited to share some big news at 3pm ET today,” DeChambeau teased...

 

Okay what do you think the "Big News" will be?

You realize the 3PM thing was for Monday, aka yesterday right? He already announced it and it's the NFT stuff that @krupa mentioned.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, klineka said:

You realize the 3PM thing was for Monday, aka yesterday right? 

Nope, I did not. 
Sorry, apparently I was late to the party.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • iacas changed the title to Bryson Dechambeau Releases NFT; Nobody Cares.

Can anyone explain NFTs to me? I think I get the general gist, but I don't get why people would pay lots of money for them. I don't want to be the old man who yells at cloud, but I really don't get them at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
9 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Can anyone explain NFTs to me? I think I get the general gist, but I don't get why people would pay lots of money for them. I don't want to be the old man who yells at cloud, but I really don't get them at all.

I have no f***ing idea why someone would want to "own" something like a video clip or whatever. It's not yours to sell.

I'm aware that NFTs can represent real-world stuff, like real estate, and then you can "give" that NFT or sell it to someone else.

But that's not how it's being used mostly, from what I know, right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

NFT's look like a pyramid or ponzi scheme to me.  Or maybe it is like the pet rock thing.  It can only last for so long before it becomes worthless

Link to comment
Share on other sites


(edited)
1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

Can anyone explain NFTs to me? I think I get the general gist, but I don't get why people would pay lots of money for them. I don't want to be the old man who yells at cloud, but I really don't get them at all.

To me an NFT item is like a patented item - idea, thing, digital file, whatever. The original owner ID is maintained/tracked. As far as paying money for it, it is same as paying money for patenting something.  

Edited by GolfLug
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, pganapathy said:

NFT's look like a pyramid or ponzi scheme to me.  Or maybe it is like the pet rock thing.  It can only last for so long before it becomes worthless

I'm rapidly trying to catch up here. But I agree with you. Looks like a pet rock to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I get why someone might be interested in collecting NFTs, but I'm not. I don't know if the Venn diagram of NFT collectors and Bryson DeChambeau fans is a very large population.

This Ali G Ice Cream Glove skit came to mind for some reason.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
21 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

To me an NFT item is like a patented item - idea, thing, digital file, whatever. The original owner ID is maintained/tracked. As far as paying money for it, it is same as paying money for patenting something.  

I think it is more like a copyright than patent. I have three patents and it protects the idea and concept from copying for commercial purposes, not necessarily the image or “art” of the patent. This sounds more like a music or film copyright that is for sale to the general public. I have music copyrights for a number of songs that are protected from someone recording them to make money.

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I think it is more like a copyright than patent. 

Ah yes, copyright is the more apt term. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I have no f***ing idea why someone would want to "own" something like a video clip or whatever. It's not yours to sell.

I believe they can be sold, that is part of the idea with the "Blockchain", to track who actually owns the NFT and who has the right to sell it.

1 hour ago, pganapathy said:

NFT's look like a pyramid or ponzi scheme to me.  Or maybe it is like the pet rock thing.  It can only last for so long before it becomes worthless

I'm a little taken back by NFTs as well.  A "Digital Trading Card" is simply a digital picture with a "Code" that stops it from being able to be copied and to identify it as "Unique".  I would guess they will likely end up like all of those Beanie Babies from several years back.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
28 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

 This sounds more like a music or film copyright that is for sale to the general public. I have music copyrights for a number of songs that are protected from someone recording them to make money.

Well, music and digital 'art' is where it started and has had the highest need for obvious reasons. But really can be used for any digital item you don't someone else to profit from as an original.

11 minutes ago, StuM said:

I'm a little taken back by NFTs as well. 

Why? The idea of protecting originality is not original. Virtual media has value, even if it is lame to some.

Edited by GolfLug
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Why? The idea of protecting originality is not original. Virtual media has value, even if it is lame to some.

It is not the idea of protecting originality that gets me.  I fully understand protecting music and the ability to pay royalties to the writers, that makes perfect sense to me.   What I do not understand is why anyone would pay thousands+ for a digital trading card.  OK I admit, it is not all that different than paper trading cards.  Some of those NFT trading cards are selling for big bucks.  That is what I am taken back by.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, StuM said:

What I do not understand is why anyone would pay thousands+ for a digital trading card. 

You got me there.. lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Does anyone care about BDC enough right now to pay for one of these things? Apparently someone cares. This "card" is going for over 5K 

N1NjFkPlINp_H9GKDXyDFNTGlMDjTncw1Y5Ri_m2

This NFT is limited to just one edition. This NFT commemorates Bryson’s raw power and the distance that comes along with it. With his newfound distance, Bryson can attempt shots that most cannot. In addition to winning...

 

Seems like a stupid way to spend money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • iacas changed the title to Bryson DeChambeau Releases NFT, then Tiger

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...