Jump to content
IGNORED

Considering Dropping 2 Most Lofted Wedges for Just 1, Thoughts?


Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Isn’t the guy on back left Arsenio?

It has to be. It's Coming to America.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, TourSpoon said:

Same guy playing 3 characters cutting up! Eddie Murphy at his best! 

I was referring to this. Of course it’s Coming to America…but Eddie didn’t play those three characters. He was the older Jewish guy and the other two…Arsenio played that guy I mentioned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I was referring to this. Of course it’s Coming to America…but Eddie didn’t play those three characters. He was the older Jewish guy and the other two…Arsenio played that guy I mentioned.

I know, but you have to realize I have multiple conversations going on in my head and was trying to combine responses.  Coming to America is comedy gold. Having multiple conversations going on is the sign of intelligence, or being a golfer, maybe both. Rambling on and on with no coherent direction, well that happens from time to time. 

  • Funny 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 4/28/2021 at 10:57 PM, onthehunt526 said:

@WUTiger is going to like this one. I can hit my 54° around the greens well ok. My 58° is about as useful as a bucket of steam, except out of bunkers. My AW is currently 51° (will be 50° when my ZX5 irons come in Mid-May). I’ve been toying with only playing with my 45° PW, 50° AW and a 56° SW... is this a good idea?

Or am I missing something not having a more lofted sand wedge?

All I have right now are 45°, 50° and 56° and I don’t think I am missing much. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 4/29/2021 at 1:57 AM, onthehunt526 said:

@WUTiger is going to like this one. I can hit my 54° around the greens well ok. My 58° is about as useful as a bucket of steam, except out of bunkers. My AW is currently 51° (will be 50° when my ZX5 irons come in Mid-May). I’ve been toying with only playing with my 45° PW, 50° AW and a 56° SW... is this a good idea?

Or am I missing something not having a more lofted sand wedge?

Although I play 45pw, 50aw, 54sw, 58lw, I have had thoughts of replacing the 54 58 for a 56, but have not done it. I think it can be a good choice, especially for mid-high cap golfers. It is easier to be competent with one club then two. If you used only the 56 all the time, just imagine how adept you would become with it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sorry :offtopic:

On 5/2/2021 at 7:42 AM, TourSpoon said:

I love this meme! Same guy playing 3 characters cutting up! Eddie Murphy at his best! 

Actually 3 different actors (from left to right) Arsenio Hall, Eddie Murphy, and Clint Smith. Although Eddie Murphy does play the old man who is just hanging out in the shop as well.

 

To answer the OP, like everyone has said It totally depends on need. Do you need another club to fill another need more often? I know a lot of people would benefit from another hybrid or fairway wood over a 4th wedge.

Also @onthehunt526 your home course only has 1 bunker? 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Sorry :offtopic:

Actually 3 different actors (from left to right) Arsenio Hall, Eddie Murphy, and Clint Smith. Although Eddie Murphy does play the old man who is just hanging out in the shop as well.

 

To answer the OP, like everyone has said It totally depends on need. Do you need another club to fill another need more often? I know a lot of people would benefit from another hybrid or fairway wood over a 4th wedge.

Also @onthehunt526 your home course only has 1 bunker? 

Yes on the 9th and it’s huge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
8 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

BA88B948-8679-46C6-B19B-8788C1E7F24D.thumb.jpeg.21e565ae6a8b856334a018971712ce87.jpegOnly bunker on the golf course.

I think there is buried treasure there. Just saying’.😜

Let us know how your experimenting goes. I’ve got a similar issue with mid irons. Currently I’m carrying 3W 5W 3H 4H 6-PW, 51, 54 and 58. The gaps are pretty even except 6 iron to 4H, 155 to 175. But I can choke down on the 4H for the 165 distance or hit a 3/4 3H. I could put my 5 iron back in, but I’d have to drop a wedge and I use them all. I’ve had quite a few good pitch shots with the 58 and I use it in sand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I think there is buried treasure there. Just saying’.😜

Let us know how your experimenting goes. I’ve got a similar issue with mid irons. Currently I’m carrying 3W 5W 3H 4H 6-PW, 51, 54 and 58. The gaps are pretty even except 6 iron to 4H, 155 to 175. But I can choke down on the 4H for the 165 distance or hit a 3/4 3H. I could put my 5 iron back in, but I’d have to drop a wedge and I use them all. I’ve had quite a few good pitch shots with the 58 and I use it in sand.

Why both the 5w and 3h?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Moderator
4 hours ago, measureoffsetinnm said:

Why both the 5w and 3h?

5W is 18 degrees loft and good for fairway lies and the tee. 3H is 21 degrees loft and is better out of the rough. 4H is 24. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

5W is 18 degrees loft and good for fairway lies and the tee. 3H is 21 degrees loft and is better out of the rough. 4H is 24. 

Oh I thought 5w and 3h were generally the same loft. Definitely makes sense as you describe it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 5/4/2021 at 3:28 PM, measureoffsetinnm said:

Oh I thought 5w and 3h were generally the same loft. Definitely makes sense as you describe it.

It is SO dependent on the manufacturer, it almost doesn’t make any since to use club numbers any more. My 4h (Taylormade GAPR-Mid) is 21 degrees, fitting perfectly between my 6i, 25 degrees, and my 2i, 17 degrees. Go figure....

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Moderator
2 hours ago, Morgan Mullins said:

It is SO dependent on the manufacturer, it almost doesn’t make any since to use club numbers any more. My 4h (Taylormade GAPR-Mid) is 21 degrees, fitting perfectly between my 6i, 25 degrees, and my 2i, 17 degrees. Go figure....

FWIW, Titleist doesn’t even have the 3, 4 designation, they just have loft. Mine are 21 and 24. I call them 3 and 4H because my 5 iron is 27 degrees.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

FWIW, Titleist doesn’t even have the 3, 4 designation, they just have loft. Mine are 21 and 24. I call them 3 and 4H because my 5 iron is 27 degrees.

It sounds like Titleist is already thinking about the issue. We do need a different way to categorize and discuss clubs, because the old number system is no longer valid. But that is a different topic.

if you use a gapping system based on club loft to select your wedges, then the question is how much gap, in degrees of loft, do you want between your wedges? Is it the same as it is for your other clubs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Moderator
37 minutes ago, Morgan Mullins said:

It sounds like Titleist is already thinking about the issue. We do need a different way to categorize and discuss clubs, because the old number system is no longer valid. But that is a different topic.

if you use a gapping system based on club loft to select your wedges, then the question is how much gap, in degrees of loft, do you want between your wedges? Is it the same as it is for your other clubs?

It is, but I also vary the top end depending on the course. I think about tee shots and what I’ll need, especially the par 3 holes. Some courses I don’t need a 5 iron. Others, like today’s, I left out the 21 hybrid and used the 5 on two tee shots. I keep the wedge set up, which is PW (47), GW (51), 54 and 58.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well I had said that I would get back to you guys after I goofed around with the 54° and 58° on my short game shots (I only have my old Tommy Armour V-31 sand wedge as a 56° test). 
 

My experience was that I don’t know that I will ALWAYS need two speciality wedges for  short game shots, but the 58° does come in handy from uneven shittier lies, the 56° has decent results from said lies, so the vote is not in yet... I feel the 50-90 yard shots are easier to control with the 56° (my 54° is 95-105 yards, and 58° 75-85 but I don’t like to hit them full). On the full swing motion wedge shots I can get away with just a 56°, but the one time I need a 58°-60° around the green... I think it’s going to course and conditions dependent... I can always take the 3-iron out for the 7-wood... or the 3 and 4 iron for the 7 and 9 wood... but that’s a different topic...

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo after clicking this link. For Mevo+, click this link or the image above.
  • Posts

    • Ha. He has always seemed as a doofus, and every now and then he confirms the suspicions with stuff like this.
    • Great post here even if it is from 2015! So I guess I would revise my consistency goal to something like "improve my poor shots and reduce the dispersion in shot results, in both distance and direction".
    • +2 on a quick 9 today. Pretty easy course although no roll in the PNW off season. Used only 4 clubs for a fast getaway from the house and a bit of a challenge. Rangefinder would have been useful.
    • As the calendar year draws to a close thank you all for putting up with me, and allowing me into your insights. The golf posting season is now ended but play continues on for my second winter (it is awesome!). This year has been good for me although I still have things I would like to correct. I am in awe of all of you that work diligently on your swings. If I ever find an instructor like my first, and find enough time to add practice I will join you in that quest. For now I love to play too much. Advance Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you!
    • After watching Tin Cup again and learning that Freddie Fender was part of the "super group" that is the Texas Tornados. Only heard of Freddie though, is that super?  
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Darkfrog
      Darkfrog
      (44 years old)
    2. Jrock817
      Jrock817
      (41 years old)
    3. Leonclum
      Leonclum
      (49 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...