IGNORED

Game Golf Past and Present (June 2021)

iacas

• Administrator
(edited)

I recommend skipping to this for a January, 2023 update:

I just spent almost an hour on the phone with David Kelly, the marketing and community director for GAME Golf.

We talked a lot about the history, the present, and the future of the company and its products. Some of what we’ve discussed I cannot share (some of it as much because it’s my personal information/business/plans as much as anything else), but I’ll share with you what I can.

A Brief History

John McGuire started GAME just after 2010 and as many here know we latched onto it pretty quickly here at TST. I liked tagging, and not using your phone, and we added support for it to your profile(s) here at TST and so on.

GAME Golf Classic was launched, Live added Bluetooth and thus smart phone support, and then Pro launched a few years ago. Pro didn’t go well. It wasn’t functionally ready.

During that time, GAME was bought out by private investors as part of GreenWaves Technologies.  Between a reduced revenue stream, COVID-19, and Pro not being quite functionally ready (more software than hardware related), 2020 was not a great year for GAME. We saw it here - the database would go down for a few days at a time once or twice a month, and this bled into early 2021 when we got reports that the Transfer app was done, etc.

The Present

We also started to notice a change recently. What changed? Well, Inpixon invested and got a majority stake in the company. You can read the press release for this here:

GAMEGOLF_Symbol_Wordmark_Horz_Logo_500px

Game Your Game Announces Relaunch of Game Golf with New Leadership and Inpixon Support Expansive Development, Growth, and Innovation planned for Golf’s GPS Shot Tracking Pioneer Palo Alto, CA...

(It’s just the general “announcements” page, without what used to be called a permalink, but it’s dated May 4 if/when it falls off the announcements page and you have to find it by date).

Inpixon has installed Mike Francis (former Vice President of Nike Golf) CEO and David Kelly, and brought on a new chief technical guy, as well as support folks to actually get back to us and communicate with people. I’m sure people here have noticed how much better support has been lately, as we’ve gotten replies (often quite promptly) from people.

In the last few weeks:

• Replies to support have been timely.
  • GAME Golf Transfer (for older desktop/laptop OSes) has started working again.
  • Transferring and processing on smart phones has begun working again.
  • Pro is working better. (More below.)

I’ve been happy to see GG working again, and it was - as we all saw, not a moment too soon for many of us who were ready to bail as it had been a tough three months or 15 months, depending on how specifically you define “tough”).

I can also say that Inpixon has provided enough resources that GAME Golf isn’t going anywhere for quite some time, and that the current level of robustness can be maintained through 2021 and beyond.

Pro Improvements

Over the past 12-18 months some of the improvements to GAME Golf Pro that customers have commented on include:

• Setup is much better and more seamless. (The medallion connects to GPS much quicker than before and pairing takes less time.)
  • Improved Shot Detection - More accurate after training the algorithms over a longer period of time and with a bigger dataset (machine learning)
  • Faster Support - More responsive.
  • Updated Pro User Manual.

The Takeaway

I got the impression throughout the call that GAME was back on its feet and headed in the right direction. I got the impression that they’ve learned from their past, and recent past, and are committed to making things good and right again.

As many here know I’ve looooooong supported the idea that if you’re serious about golf at all, you need to be tracking your stats. People’s perceptions of where they lose or gain fractions of a stroke are typically off base, and actually tracking your shots not only lets you know how your game fares overall (handicapping, average score, average 7I distance, etc.) but how it works on a micro level (is my lag putting good or bad? Do I miss my mid-irons short right 1/3 of the time, or 90% of the time?).

So, I’m glad GAME is “back” in that sense, and I trust that I wasn’t just fed a bunch of BS today. I understand right now if you do NOT have a GAME Golf or stats tracking app how you would be reluctant to buy a GAME Golf Pro right now, and that’s fine - wait a few months to see how this goes. But, in the meantime, download the GAME Golf app (it’s free) and begin tracking your stats there. Create an account. It’s free. And if you have GAME Golf hardware, get it back out again and begin using it. Write to support if you have problems or questions. Let them impress you again.

I’m going to close the “Dead” topic and add a link to this topic over there when I publish this. New discussion about GAME Golf can take place here for awhile, as well as any of the other topics we’ve had like the “Explores” topic. But, ideally, here.

I’m semi-excited about the future. I still have my reservations, and GAME knows everyone out there does too. “Fool me once” and all that… but I believe they’re excited, too, about the prospect of winning back the hearts and minds (and trust) of both existing and new customers.

Edited by iacas
Updated January, 2023
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to GAME Golf Past and Present (June 2021)
  • iacas changed the title to Game Golf Past and Present (June 2021)

I am super excited to hear this.  I love the device and the analysis and I'm glad to hear it'll stick around.  I hope the tags I was looking to buy replacements for come into stock again soon, but I understand if this is not a priority for them. :-) 

Now if someone could tell them that their insights page (the one with the bar graph for the four categories) would probably load faster if they default it to something other than "all rounds," but I understand if that also is not top priority.

I'm so happy I get to keep my GAME Golf and not have to figure out some new system or use my phone during the round. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Wow! Thanks for all of that information! Glad to see some information about Pro. I'm still on the fence about Pro honestly. Not from a "it doesn't work standpoint" (it does), but like you've said, "If Live works, why switch?". My hunch is Pro is where much of the money is going to go from a hardware/firmware/software standpoint. I can't imagine Live being improved upon anymore (outside of just making it work again) than it is, but maybe...? Plus, they did give me 20% off Pro so I feel it was a fair price considering everything that has been going on (along with Smart Caddie trial for 3 months or something). My gut says I'll probably stick with Pro and just sell Live to someone I know to get a little money out of it. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, youngaa1 said:

My hunch is Pro is where much of the money is going to go from a hardware/firmware/software standpoint.

That's hardly a "hunch" though, right? Of course that's where it's going.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's hardly a "hunch" though, right? Of course that's where it's going.

You sir, would be correct. As someone who works for a software company...I know Pro is where it's going for sure. But sometimes, surprises do come along. 🙂 But in the end, Pro will certainly give me longevity and it's 1/1 so far. More rounds to come! 

Edited by youngaa1

Thx for the info, I have loved my GG snd really wznt them to succeed.  FWIW, once I have a little more confidence they will stick around I will upgrade, I just need a little more confidence before committing the cash.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

This is cool to hear.

Without knowing anything about GG, I bought a shotscope system a little over 3 years ago. The V2 watch was too big, the stats interface was not intuitive, and there were no strokes gained analysis, but I thought it was pretty good. After a year I upgraded to SS V3 which was a big improvement on the watch device. Still took another year for SS to roll out strokes gained against a tour player. Supposedly they are rolling out more strokes gained info, but I’ve shelved it for a garmin watch for the time being, just for the “memories” of each hole/round played.

I’ve always been impressed with the GG round/data presentation from shared TST member’s rounds, but issues with support made me hesitant. Even though I’m satisfied with garmin, I’m a little bit of a sucker for gadgets, so I may give GG a shot if the feedback going forward is positive.

Any chance of a TST affiliate discount code sometime in the next 6 months?

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

Any chance of a TST affiliate discount code sometime in the next 6 months?

I think we'll have a giveaway soon.

This is cool to hear. I might be switching back to GameGolf soon as a recent update to Samsung watches broke the current tracking app I had been using and Taylormade hasn't fixed it yet and has provided no update as to when it will be fixed.

@iacas is there any talk about adding additional stats/metrics or ways to view the data in GameGolf going forward?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :tmade: TP5x

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, klineka said:

@iacas is there any talk about adding additional stats/metrics or ways to view the data in GameGolf going forward?

I can't promise anything or speak for GAME Golf, but I think it is in their interests to expand what statistics and data they expose to golfers.

Live has worked well for the last couple of rounds. I don’t mind the device. I hope they support it for a few years.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I've had Game Golf since the beginning!  Have always loved and still only use classic!  The stats are priceless to me!

That said, I never understood why Game Golf never changed their model somewhat to charge even from $20 to $50 a for use of the data service!  Makes no sense! 

They could sell the product fro $200+ and give free data access for 2-3 years then charge from $20 to $50 a year after that for data use.  Then every TIME a Game Golf customer buys an upgraded system (like going from classic to live) they get another 2-3 years of the data free again.

To me, that is the only real model that would be sustainable.  I've had two game golf classics over the last 8 years and haven't bought a new game golf product for 4 years or so, but use their site and stats everytime I play.  I totally would understand them charging me a nominal fee.  

Looking at it as a business the website really costs them a lot of money to maintain but has million of users and thier only revenue is from selling more new game golf's.  They need to monetize their usership somehow.

Anyway to answer your question, Ive always loved game golf!

On 6/1/2021 at 6:39 AM, iacas said:

we added support for it to your profile(s) here at TST and so on.

Is this feature going to return at some point?  I think it got lost in a software update (or I may be missing something).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

This is really encouraging. I hope that they continue supporting a device (whether Live or a new device) that has manual tagging.

- John

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Shindig said:

Is this feature going to return at some point?  I think it got lost in a software update (or I may be missing something).

I took it off.

Just now, Hardspoon said:

This is really encouraging. I hope that they continue supporting a device (whether Live or a new device) that has manual tagging.

I prefer manual tagging too.

This all seems really good. Let’s hope the follow through is good. Hell, I’d be very happy with just keeping things the way they are. But if there’s any additional stats or stats breakdowns in the offing, that would be incredible. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

They are beginning to re-earn my trust.  I had a mapping issue in my round yesterday.  I messaged them @ 6pm ET last night and had an email they had fixed it at 7am ET today.  I do not think I could ask for much better response time.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold)