IGNORED

Do I Have a Vanity Handicap?

ChetlovesMer
Note: This thread is 1076 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My question begins with a discussion of the weather. ... Yeah, the weather. 

Once again, today's weather is supposed to be cold and rainy. I play in a Wednesday Night Golf League. While we've only been rained out ... snowed out one time so far this year, it seems every Wednesday the weather has been cold, and/or rainy, and/or windy as all get out. For what ever reason, it seems like it can be beautiful all week, but then be total crap on Wednesday. 

Which got me thinking I wonder if the weather is one of the reasons I don't score as well during league as I normally do playing the same course from the same tees?

Right now my league handicap is 21.5 (I'm given an 11 for the 9 holes)

Right now my 18 hole handicap is 15.6

There have been a few differences. 

In league play:

1. We only play 9 holes. I nearly always play a better second 9 than a first 9. 
  2. The weather has been pretty awful. 
  3. I never warm up. I'm nearly always racing from work right to the first tee. I've never been late, but I've often literally run from the car to the tee-box. 
  4. The pace of play at league night is never good. Usually about 2:15 to 2:40 for 9 holes. 
  5. I've carded (5) rounds in league play so far.
  6. Handicap: 21.5

In my 18 hole rounds:

1. I've played 18 holes (obviously), but my second nine has always been better than my first nine. Seems to be true no matter which nine I play first (I've gone off the back a couple times.) I had at least one round where I shot 10 shots better on the back?
  2. So far, I've only played when it's been a nice day. 
  3. I nearly always take the time to hit some warm up shots, and even roll some putts etc... 
  4. The slowest round I've played was around 4 hours. But it's been as quick as 2:30 to finish 18. 
  5. I've carded (10) 18-hole-rounds in which I've played with somebody else so I can keep a handicap. 
  6. Handicap: 15.6

Let me finish by saying I really try to play by the rules. I can't guarantee that I've never made a rules mistake, but if I have it's been an honest mistake. I try to take all my strokes. I try to always hole out. etc... 

So, here's my question: Am I conning myself and I should really be a 21.5, or is the 15.6 a better representation of how I play? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Do I Have a Vanity Handicap?
44 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

In league play:

1. We only play 9 holes. I nearly always play a better second 9 than a first 9. 
  2. The weather has been pretty awful. 
  3. I never warm up. I'm nearly always racing from work right to the first tee. I've never been late, but I've often literally run from the car to the tee-box. 
  4. The pace of play at league night is never good. Usually about 2:15 to 2:40 for 9 holes. 
  5. I've carded (5) rounds in league play so far.
  6. Handicap: 21.5

In my 18 hole rounds:

1. I've played 18 holes (obviously), but my second nine has always been better than my first nine. Seems to be true no matter which nine I play first (I've gone off the back a couple times.) I had at least one round where I shot 10 shots better on the back?
  2. So far, I've only played when it's been a nice day. 
  3. I nearly always take the time to hit some warm up shots, and even roll some putts etc... 
  4. The slowest round I've played was around 4 hours. But it's been as quick as 2:30 to finish 18. 
  5. I've carded (10) 18-hole-rounds in which I've played with somebody else so I can keep a handicap. 
  6. Handicap: 15.6

Sounds like you're in a rush to make League nights and not being able to relax, warm up, etc is hurting you a little bit.

:titleist:

4 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

So, here's my question: Am I conning myself and I should really be a 21.5, or is the 15.6 a better representation of how I play? 

Definitevely more closer to 15.6. Maybe 16 on 17 if you throw out there a couple of rounds in bad weather.

It's worth notice that more warm up can make your index even lower.. if you are shooting better in the back is probable that you are ready to play on the 10th and all you did before that was a good warm up for you.
Every tour player start their warm up routine from 1 to 2 hours before they tee up. Next time try and replicate the warm up routine of a tour pro (there are plenty of them on the PGA youtube channel) and see how it goes on the front 9.  

In the last couple of years I was arriving 15 minutes before my tee time and was using the first couple of holes as warm up, of course my score in the first few holes were in average worst than in the rest of the course. This year I started to take it really seriuos and I'm arriving 1 hour and a half before my tee time. After a proper warm up routine you are so much loose and have more confidence in the first tee, approach shot, chip or putt from the get go.

Give it a try and let us know. 

6 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I don't think someone who has gone to the great lengths that you have to illustrate the issue is conning anyone. Your handicap is what the USGA formula says it is based on what would constitute a valid round. Whatever stroke system you use for your league is what everyone uses in your league based on 5 rounds.  

I wouldn't overthink it at all, but you have identified some patterns that you probably need to address in order to play your best. Using the course to warm up is not the best strategy so I would start there.

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Does your league take into account blow-up holes?  If you have a 10 one hole what score for that hole counts toward your handicap?  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

16 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Does your league take into account blow-up holes?  If you have a 10 one hole what score for that hole counts toward your handicap?  

Net double is the rule for my HC level. So if it I get a stroke for my course HC, it would only be a triple bogey. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

There may be many things impacting your league play including being more "Socially Engaged" with the other players then you may be in non-league play.  That may distract some of your focus.  They dynamics of league play may be just enough different from your non-league rounds that it is impacting your scores.  Different pace-of-play, maybe drink a little more alcohol, etc.

I found this year I am doing really-really bad in league compared to last year.  A comment was made by the person who ran the league last year that "Herding the Cats" to get them out distracted him so much that it took three holes to get focuses on his round.  His thought is I have so much on my mind running the league that I am not mentally prepared to golf when I finally get on the tee myself.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

19 hours ago, dennyjones said:

This is a good question. I'm not exactly sure of the answer. But I haven't made a score bigger than 8... 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Post the scores you have and the result is the result. 

My game has become so embarrassing that I no-cap.

Really, it doesn't particularly matter now anyway. My new home course doesn't have an association or any of the handicapped events I used to participate in when Kittyhawk still existed. So I save my $40 and the hassle of putting it all in.

Edited by mcanadiens

42 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Post the scores you have and the result is the result. 

My game has become so embarrassing that I no-cap.

Agreed completely...on both points 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Note: This thread is 1076 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!