IGNORED

Best Shot / Worst Shot, Ever

Big Lex
Note: This thread is 969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How are you supposed to classify worst ever? How many times have I yanked out of the swing, left the face open, and hit a wild push-slice OB or lost? What makes one worse than the other? 🤣

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I was working on stuff today on the course playing second balls, etc. and I hit a full foot behind a 5I on a tee. The ball went about 40 yards. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This one comes from the very first round of golf I ever played. I was out with the guy who introduced me to game, his friend, and his nephew. We get to a relatively short but tricky par 3 that plays uphill over a ravine and he says, “Just make sure you clear the ravine.” Each person tees off so now it’s my turn and I just watched three experienced golfers miss the green and I’m thinking to myself my shot could go anywhere. Stuffed it two feet from the hole.

So now we’re all thinking I can make a birdie in my first ever round of golf, and wouldn’t you know it I blew my putt six feet past the hole. Four putt for a five 😃

I’m not going to call them my best or worst shots ever, but they came in succession so it’s an interesting story.

• Funny 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Last summer at West Point NY.  Friend and I did a twilight 4pm after work.  Was a 2sum ahead of us.  About 12th hole we finally asked if they wanted to pair up to hopefully get 18 in.  They politely declined, and told us to play through being they just messing around with their 7 irons.   Realized one of them was the Colonel of West Point.  So now on a tee on a par 3, Colonel watching....hosel rocket directly into the woods 😑😑😂.   He chuckled and said to hit another, thankfully I stuck it to the green.

I have a hole-in-one from 165 yards, so that has to be my best shot ever.

I've also definitely whiffed completely on a shot, so that has to be the worst shot ever.

- John

Oh....... best shot EVER. That would have been about 1980. 245 or so yards out on a 540 yd par 5. Hit a 4 wood (yes a real persimmon 4 wood) that holed out for an albatross.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 10:04 AM, mdl said:

How are you supposed to classify worst ever? How many times have I yanked out of the swing, left the face open, and hit a wild push-slice OB or lost? What makes one worse than the other? 🤣

having a 2" putt to win the match and a pretty good prize and whiffing...I have not done that, but if I did, I would classify it as worst :-)

Mine was a worst shot, best shot, worst shot recently in a tournament.  A par 3 of about 170-180 with a water body most of the way and an OB left.  Managed to duff the shot off the tee and just avoided going into the water.  Hit like a 9 or P from there and drop onto the green a few feet from the hole.  Manage to miss the putt which was an easy one.  Don't know whether that was a good or bad bogey🤷‍♂️

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

A couple of weeks ago I was standing in a bunker and trying to hit my shot that was about 2' above my feet in the rough.    Whish!  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Worst shot ever, every eagle putt I ever missed, and I had plenty of opportunities on reachable par 4's and par 5's from my late teens till around 40 when wrist injuries took their toll. One that is particularly "memorable" was a 6' putt just below the pin on a par four I had reached off the tee. That putt would have put my team one up on the 8th hole of a 9 hole match, with a considerable prize. As it was we halved the match and walked off with a handshake.

I have only played, really for about 5 weeks.  But, I hit a pitch shot on 14 at Stewart Golf course that was 60 yards and it hit just in front of the hole bounced up and hit the pin and dropped in the hole. My first Birdie ever.....  it was so pretty I honestly jumped up and down.... if you listen to my wife and DIL.

In case you think I think too much of this..... my worst was the next hole where I was worried about hitting my ball in the street with my drive that I hit under the ball and it went really high and right into the street (where I was looking) and I had to drop a new ball.

Golf is a really strange game....  🙂

On 6/24/2021 at 7:51 PM, Hardspoon said:

I have a hole-in-one from 165 yards, so that has to be my best shot ever.

I've also definitely whiffed completely on a shot, so that has to be the worst shot ever.

A whiff isn't actually the worst outcome of a shot, though.  O.B., you're back to hitting from where you previously struck, but with two strokes added.  A whiff only costs you one.

On 6/25/2021 at 8:10 AM, darthweasel said:

having a 2" putt to win the match and a pretty good prize and whiffing...I have not done that, but if I did, I would classify it as worst :-)

What about a tap-in at the UKBOPBHMTQ (before it was called that, though), whiffing the putt entirely, then missing a playoff by one stroke?  Asking for someone I've never met.

On 6/25/2021 at 8:43 AM, pganapathy said:

Mine was a worst shot, best shot, worst shot recently in a tournament.  A par 3 of about 170-180 with a water body most of the way and an OB left.  Managed to duff the shot off the tee and just avoided going into the water.  Hit like a 9 or P from there and drop onto the green a few feet from the hole.  Manage to miss the putt which was an easy one.  Don't know whether that was a good or bad bogey🤷‍♂️

One of those shots you made has a pretty good strokes gained value.  I'm pretty happy any time I can pull off a shot with a good strokes gained value.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On 6/25/2021 at 8:10 AM, darthweasel said:

Ha. Good point. And that reminds me. I might actually have a worst shot ever! First tournament I ever play was in my late 20s after joining my first ever club at my home muni. I played off maybe 11 at the time. Long hitter, wide dispersion. 9 is a 366 yard par 4 that's downhill to ~60 yards from the green, then uphill pretty steeply to the green. Tight with mature trees lining both sides and the driving range left. #3 handicap hole so I was getting a stroke. I hit a great drive, bounced over the concrete drainage ditch at the bottom of the hill and ended up 40-50 yards out. Hit my 60˚ to 2 feet. Pulled the putt and missed it. Turned out that would've been only the 3rd net skin given out that day, so my 2 foot miss cost me like $3-400 dollars :-(

• Like 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

On 6/25/2021 at 6:16 AM, Esox said:

Oh....... best shot EVER. That would have been about 1980. 245 or so yards out on a 540 yd par 5. Hit a 4 wood (yes a real persimmon 4 wood) that holed out for an albatross.

That is awesome...I already answered my best shot, but I'm thinking you're reminding me of a better one. About 6 years ago, playing in a club tournament, I hit a tee ball OB on a par 4. Re-tee and hit in the fairway. Hit the next one in the hole from about 165 out for a par )

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

23 hours ago, mdl said:

Ha. Good point. And that reminds me. I might actually have a worst shot ever! First tournament I ever play was in my late 20s after joining my first ever club at my home muni. I played off maybe 11 at the time. Long hitter, wide dispersion. 9 is a 366 yard par 4 that's downhill to ~60 yards from the green, then uphill pretty steeply to the green. Tight with mature trees lining both sides and the driving range left. #3 handicap hole so I was getting a stroke. I hit a great drive, bounced over the concrete drainage ditch at the bottom of the hill and ended up 40-50 yards out. Hit my 60˚ to 2 feet. Pulled the putt and missed it. Turned out that would've been only the 3rd net skin given out that day, so my 2 foot miss cost me like $3-400 dollars :-(

I note you are here in Portland...you ever play in the NW golf Guys tournaments? 

2 hours ago, darthweasel said:

I note you are here in Portland...you ever play in the NW golf Guys tournaments? 

I don't know what that is 🤷🏼‍♂️

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

16 hours ago, mdl said:

I don't know what that is 🤷🏼‍♂️

they run monthly tournaments in Portland, Bend and Seattle (and I think are in California now also). Most of them are pretty standard but they sometimes run tournaments that are pretty cool...private side of Pumpkin, Willamette Valley, etc...pretty cool peeps. 

On 6/30/2021 at 9:17 AM, darthweasel said:

they run monthly tournaments in Portland, Bend and Seattle (and I think are in California now also). Most of them are pretty standard but they sometimes run tournaments that are pretty cool...private side of Pumpkin, Willamette Valley, etc...pretty cool peeps. 

Sounds cool. I play in my work league so get some competition in but wouldn't mind another source of potential tournaments and getting to play some private courses. I've gotten a few rounds at Witch Hollow and Edgewater, but none of the others.

Do they do any team tournaments? I like individual but find I most enjoy two or four person team tourneys, whether alt shot, best ball, scramble, shamble, whatever.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!