IGNORED

Best Shot / Worst Shot, Ever

Big Lex
Note: This thread is 969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm curious what members consider to be their best shots and worst shots ever. 

The best shot I can remember hitting was a 3 wood approach to a green. I had half-topped a tee shot and was about 220 from the green. I was on an upslope, hitting over the top of the hill, and the green was not visible. The shot was hit solid, went on my intended line, and finished inside 5 feet. 

The worst shot I can remember was in a playoff for a member-member tournament. We won the championship flight and there was a one-hole, alternate shot playoff against the other flights for the overall winner. My partner hit the tee shot, and my shot was a hybrid over water on a par 5. As I addressed the ball, I looked up and noticed about 60 guys had come out to watch the playoff. I topped the ball into the water. I nearly followed it in myself )

I searched the forum to see if this topic had been brought up before but didn't find one. If this topic has already been done, moderators please just delete this. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I consider any shot which I hit at my target and the right distance to be a best shot.
I have a short memory span and forget all the worst shots I make.

While some of my best shots don't always have great results,
occasionally a worst shot will have a miracle bounce and not turn out so bad.

I've had great shots hit the pin in flight and end up in really bad places.
And I've hit "worm burners" which end up next to the hole.

Golf is a strange game and there are no pictures on a score card.
The best thing about golf is after a round is over, everyone will all have stories to tell.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I could fill this thread with worst shots quite easily. After every round I would be adding a new one. I’ve mentioned these before as they stood out, but my three memorable ones, all shanks of course, resulted in:

• Broken BMW window
  • Almost killing a cyclist
  • Knocking a grounds crew’s lunch out of his hands.
  • Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I could fill this thread with worst shots quite easily. After every round I would be adding a new one. I’ve mentioned these before as they stood out, but my three memorable ones, all shanks of course, resulted in:

• Broken BMW window

ouch!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 6/13/2021 at 8:47 AM, Vinsk said:

• Broken BMW window

Ah but you must have some really good great shot memories.......

My first great shot memory was holing out for a 2 on the 18th hole of the Maxwell Air Force Base golf course. I had been golfing about 3 years and this was the first place I ever took golf lessons. I remember watching the ball land, bounce, and then hop right in the hole. I kept the ball for years...

JP Bouffard

Worst shot was my first tee shot at the qualifier for my club's 2016 match play.  I had won the 2015 match play, but that doesn't get me a seeding the next year.  It was a stroke play qualifier to seed the match play portion.  I topped my tee shot and it rolled out of bounds.  I missed qualifying by a single stroke.

I had an amusingly bad shot a few years later.  I had hooked a shot into the trees and could not advance my ball.  My best play, I thought, was to chip 20 yards backwards (not even sideways) into the fairway.  I pushed my chip and it hit a tree and rebounded ... into the fairway, 30 yards closer to the green than I had started.  Just like I drew it up 🙂 

Best shot?  IDK.  I've never holed out from further than 50 yards away, and even that was a lucky shot my first few months playing.  I haven't holed out from further than greenside in years.  My first time holing out from a bunker was for double bogey (back in 2008) and my only other time was more than ten years ago (note:  I have since taken a more active approach to avoid getting into bunkers, so I have fewer opportunities now). 

I hit an 8-iron from the fairway a few months ago that finished on the lip of the cup for a tap-in birdie, I'll say that was my best shot in recent memory. I also hit a great 4W two rounds ago as my second shot on a par-5 that led to a 30 yard chip to 6', which I missed.  Those were good shots. 

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

My best shot followed what is a good candidate for my worst shot.  Short par-4 hole, I shanked my tee shot and the ball ended up in the green-side rough of a parallel hole.  Looking it up on GoogleEarth, that's about 100 yards.

I proceeded to try to hit my 5-wood the from the rough.  Ball made the green (correct green this time)--about 200 yards.  Made the 10-foot-ish putt for birdie.

3 hours ago, Big Lex said:

first great shot memory was holing out for a 2 on the 18th hole of the Maxwell Air Force Base golf course.

Ahh, memories of MIMSO

• Like 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

16 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

Ahh, memories of MIMSO

Really? When? What was your AFSC/job? Maybe we overlapped somewhere? 

JP Bouffard

think the worst was when I was asked to be last second replacement at a co-ed Chapman. I had been playing extremely well. Get there, turns, out the person who needed a partner was a recent college golfer whose Dad was among the US people who worked on the new rules changes...but hey, i was going to carry my weight as well as I had been playing.

Hole 1, I snap hook my tee shot into the driving range.

Hole 2, par 3 I pure it straight over the flag, over the green, into the pond. 

Hole 3 fade right...directly behind a tree. 

Hole 4 I again push my tee shot into the trees...

In fact, the first good shot I hit was on hole 7, the long drive hole where I crush my driver, win the long drive contest by a good margin...and it leaves her, despite being in the fairway, with trees overhanging her approach shot...conversely, it was the only hole she missed the fairway by about 3 yards, had she not she would have won the female side of the long drive.

So while I am looking like I don't know how to play, she is setting me up in the fairway close to the hole again and again and again...we won the tournament going away, no thanks to my tee shots. Ego crushing round for sure.

I did not think I was going to play at her level...but I also thought at some point I would contribute...it was not "one shot" but it felt like one as tee after tee was just a continuation. 

Had to think a bit as most rounds have memorable (good and bad) shots.   To date these are the worst of the worst and best of the best: 

Worst:  #1 Tee shot at a local coarse - hard pull left through the trees and nearly hit the ladies getting ready to tee on #10.  Wanted to just pick up my ball and walk on back.  They politely pointed out where my ball was and I played from there, back through the trees for a double bogey 6.  

Best: #7 Approach different day, different course - tee shot was just perfect as I laid up next to the ditch that crossed the fairway.  Took the 4h, played a tick back in the stance to keep it low to clear some limbs.  Ball comes out and I see it land on the green.   Pretty excited as it is the first GIR I've had on this hole.  Get to the green and it is 15" short of an eagle 2, settled for a nice birdie.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

9 hours ago, Big Lex said:

Really? When? What was your AFSC/job? Maybe we overlapped somewhere? 

OT, so in the spoiler:

Spoiler

Yep, I was a flight surgeon for a while a lifetime ago.  (My last flight was 30 years ago this last Memorial Day.)

Then found a new calling, went to work with you and other great guys (and gals) at Willie Wonderful training under Bubba, Wink, Scarf and the Michelin Man, among others.

I'm medical lab director for a health system in SW Missouri, where I've pitched my tent for the last 24 years.

(I had it wrong about MIMSO--that was Sheppard AFB in TX. HPOIC was the course at Maxwell.  Still, a lot of saluting, marching, etc.)

--Craig

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

7 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

OT, so in the spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Yep, I was a flight surgeon for a while a lifetime ago.  (My last flight was 30 years ago this last Memorial Day.)

Then found a new calling, went to work with you and other great guys (and gals) at Willie Wonderful training under Bubba, Wink, Scarf and the Michelin Man, among others.

I'm medical lab director for a health system in SW Missouri, where I've pitched my tent for the last 24 years.

(I had it wrong about MIMSO--that was Sheppard AFB in TX. HPOIC was the course at Maxwell.  Still, a lot of saluting, marching, etc.)

--Craig

Ditto on OT....

Spoiler

Good to hear from you Craig.   I talk to Jerome and Burton now and then. I’m in practice in NJ. Not sure if you remember me (JP), but I remember you teaching me the MFH types, and also, I think, presenting a case of solid and papillary tumor of the pancreas at SASP. Glad you are a golfer Craig.  JP

JP Bouffard

Worst shot.

I still lose balls almost every round, I've shot hundreds of ball OB, shanks, snaphooks and so on. I have two memories of bad shots that stands out a bit more than the rest.

1) This one happened when I played in my first ever tournament back in 2006, the Cresco Invitational at Miklagard GK (a sponsored event for business partners of Cresco). It was a stableford tournament with prices also for closest to the pin on 3 hole 1 and longest drive on hole 7. We all received a sleeve of Prov1s each before teeing off on the first tee (I didn't usually play with premium balls at that time), and looked forward to finally play a round with some fresh premiums. Hole 1 (now 7) on Miklagard back then, a 165 yards downhill par 3 with where you had to carry the ball 80 yards to clear some unplayable "salad", with a crowd, a formal starter to anounce you and the closest to the pin comp....It got to me! All the 3 fresh ProV1s ended up duffed in the "salad".....I won the event though, with a surprisingly low 35 points. 

2) This one happened just a couple of weeks ago on hole 3 on my home course, a slightly uphill par 4 usually playing into wind. The tee is just next to the path players use to walk from the tee to the green on hole 2, so on this day the people who just made their approach shot to the 2nd green stopped just next to our tee, well actually 5 yards in front of it and 10 yards to the right (usually a safe place to stand) and made signals to me that it was ok for me to hit my drive. With the spectators I decided to step a little extra on it and hit it as hard as I could.....I hit the ball clean on the edge of the heel and it rocketed towards our audience, clipped the top of the bag (he was fortunately standing behind his bag) of one of them and rickochetted 150 yards into to the wilderness right of hole 2. If he hadn't stood behind his bag, that would have been really ugly....  

Best shot: 

This one was back in 2006 on hole 2 (now 11) of Solum GK, a short par 4, downhill, into wind, playing 280 yards with a back pin location on a very soft green. I hit my driver so clean. It landed a foot left of the hole and jumped two feet back for a tap in eagle. That was a slow motion moment for me, where I could feel my heartbeat and felt like time stood still for a couple of seconds while the ball was in the air. That feeling...

I've holed out a couple of times from between 50 and 100 yards, once for eagle, but this one felt better for me. 

I'm on a constant hunt for that feeling you get when you hit a perfect shot.   

Edited by Troy Ocker

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

Best Shot: 525 yard par 5.  2nd shot was 245 playing 255. left is dead. right is dead. long is rough and downhill thick chip. I said I would be okay being a little short.  I flushed a 5 wood and stuck it to 6 feet made eagle and turned at 1 under.

Worst Shot: I have trouble with thin sand traps.... I tend to let the rebound of the club slam into the ball.  open face... I hit from 1 bunker over the green to the other bunker.. then back over, I hit it over the fance and across the street into someone's yard. 

DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

My best and worst shots were on the same hole during the same round. Playing in an outing at a CC, there was a short 297 yard uphill par 4. Hole was really narrow and others in group took out irons and still put it in the rough. I go for broke and knock my tee shot 2 1/2 feet from the hole for my best shot ever. My worst shot ever was when I proceeded to blow the putt for eagle.

One of my best shots was actually from one of my rounds last week. Fourth hole was a short par 5 (about 480 from the tees I played). After a poor tee shot and a very weak layup I had about 165 in to a front pin. Oh, and the greens at this particular course were firm and fast.

I hit one of the best 7 irons I’ve ever hit, and it landed on the front fringe and somehow checked up. I had four feet left for birdie. And, in case you’re wondering, my first putt on this slick green rolled six feet past, then I missed that.

One of my worst shots was a few years ago. I was using my dad’s old clubs (probably a two-club difference from my clubs). Anyway, I was on the 11th hole on the left side of the fairway, and I had a 6I in. What followed was a ninety-degree hosel shank that ran all the way into the hazard on the right, 60 yards to the right of where my ball was. That was embarrassing.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Yesterday. Found myself very close to the lip of a greenside bunker, on very firm sand. Couldn't aim at pin, but about 10' to the left of it.  Barely opened up the 58/10 degree wedge, smacked it into the "sand" about 1.5 ball widths behind ball. It popped out, hit the green and rolled out about 3', ending up directly downhill from pin. And for a change I made the putt.

I had a worst shot yesterday. Our 2some invited the 3some behind us to join us to play #9, the last hole of our round. It was a 152 yd par 3,fairly straight forward. Wanting to make a good showing to the 3some, I hit first. I was having a decent round, but I topped the ball 50 yds then slinked back to my cart. I did get a bogie, and strangely enough, nobody bettered the 4.

• Funny 1

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Note: This thread is 969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!