IGNORED

What Worked for You to Get Better at Golf?

Note: This thread is 1036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

If you have a good instructor, then commit. Don’t go chasing YouTube videos or quick tips; buy into what they’re saying and put the blinders on.

Absolutely! YouTube can be a rabbit hole. YouTube is to golf instructors like WebMD is to doctors. 

4 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Don’t over analyze every bad shot either.

Bad shots happen and you can't afford to dwell on them. Everyone hits bad shots. Better players stay calm and give themselves the best mental framework to hit a recovery shot they are capable of and avoid compounding errors.  If you don't have a reliable punch shot, get one.  After your round, analyze your patterns and go to work. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

13 hours ago, Shindig said:

Would you mind elaborating on this, such as describing the hole, your former strategy, and what you do currently?  I have a few nemesis holes at my home course and I've tried applying some decision maps to them, but seeing an example of how someone made a change like that would be informative to me.  

Sure - I can try to put something together on the hole. Don't want to hijack this thread with OT discussion, so I will see if there is an existing thread for applying LSW methodology and drop it in there.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

Sure - I can try to put something together on the hole. Don't want to hijack this thread with OT discussion, so I will see if there is an existing thread for applying LSW methodology and drop it in there.

Hijack away Darkfrog. I'm finding this thread super helpful in general.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here are things that helped me a lot:

• Analyzing the game hole by hole after every round. Identify where you are losing strokes, what errors you are making, identify patterns and weaknesses. Identify top 3 reasons for lost shots. All these are not about swing mechanics but how the round was played, decisions made etc. This should give you things to practice in the range and fix. Go after it one by one.
  • Play with better golfers than you, learn and observe how they play and how they manage the game. What their choices are around the course
  • A good instructor - tough to find a match, but its the quickest way to identify flaws and learn the important improvements you need for your swing.
  • Regular range and rounds. More range sessions fixing the 'top 3' items before more rounds.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, David in FL said:

The question was “What worked for you?”. 

Yeah, I know.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The only thing that has consistently worked for me is quality instruction and putting in the practice time.

Years ago I was a 20 and managed to get down to a 14 or something briefly just from playing, but it was all just timing multiple swing compensations and it all collapsed horribly when life changed and I wasn't able to play three times a week.

• Informative 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Stay out of the shit, call the zoo!!! That is all.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

On 6/15/2021 at 8:51 AM, smsparks said:

Hijack away Darkfrog.

I’ll post some stuff as soon as I get back from my camping trip next week. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

For me it is quality instruction, Golf Evolution and Evolvr, and learning how to practice smart. The later part takes more discipline than most people realize. I can fall into the bad habit of just hitting at times. But if I break practice up into segments, it easier to be disciplined.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!