Jump to content
IGNORED

2021 U.S. Open at Torrey Pines


Recommended Posts

Glad to see Rory not open up with his customary 1st round of major 75. Disappointed in Jordan. Not surprised by Phil., nor Kopeka and Louie doing what they do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From golf subreddit

What a major!  This is easily one of the three best major championship weekends of 2021 so far.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, cutchemist42 said:

I waited a day but this course sucks for a US Open.

Care to delineate your reasons why you hold this opinion?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
32 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Care to delineate your reasons why you hold this opinion?

I forget who, one of the guys on the recent NLU podcast called Torrey "Firestone by the ocean" or something like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I forget who, one of the guys on the recent NLU podcast called Torrey "Firestone by the ocean" or something like that.

Yeah and like trendy youngsters, those guys used phrases like "lack of imagination," "it has no soul," "no memorability," "it's all vanilla," "such a waste," and other amorphous sentiments.

The only objective factors they pointed to was a) that the course is just really flat (in the literal sense) from the tee through the green and that b) there is only like one dogleg. I suppose those two are fair points. I haven't played it except on TW PGA Tour video games. They also said something like only 20% of the field has a chance--isn't that the case at most majors?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

USO on Peacock now and there's just so much announcing. SHUT UP! And ads. Lots of ads.

1 minute ago, ncates00 said:

Yeah and like trendy youngsters, those guys used phrases like "lack of imagination," "it has no soul," "no memorability," "it's all vanilla," "such a waste," and other amorphous sentiments.

The only objective factors they pointed to was a) that the course is just really flat (in the literal sense) from the tee through the green and that b) there is only like one dogleg. I suppose those two are fair points. I haven't played it except on TW PGA Tour video games. They also said something like only 20% of the field has a chance--isn't that the case at most majors?

I honestly can't say, I don't know the course that well. I actually have been meaning to play it on 2K21. I know some TST folks have played it, some before or after the USO I think? Maybe they can chime in.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

USO on Peacock now and there's just so much announcing. SHUT UP!

Not only that but they often interrupt one another, making the listening experience even worse. Didn’t think that was possible haha. Steve Sands and Nick Faldo had no chemistry yesterday and constantly interrupted each other. Shut up, indeed. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Not only that but they often interrupt one another, making the listening experience even worse. Didn’t think that was possible haha. Steve Sands and Nick Faldo had no chemistry yesterday and constantly interrupted each other. Shut up, indeed. 

I watch without the sound and actually have no trouble following along. 

It's on right now as I work in my office. ... no sound. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

No shoes? If it was a private course, he'd be kicked out, lol!

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Watson and Rahm right  in there. Hope Koepka  does  no worse than par today. Awesome to see  players  penalized  for  missing fairways and greens.

Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)
5 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Care to delineate your reasons why you hold this opinion?

It's a course I see every year on TV. I like US Opens to be venues you only revisit every few years.

"But what about Pebble?"

I can accept it easier with Pebble as I find the course more interesting on TV and the Pro-Am is an odd event now for who actually shows up. I love Pebble when the full strength field shows up.

 

Edited by cutchemist42
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, cutchemist42 said:

It's a course I see every year on TV. I like US Opens to be venues you only revisit every few years.

 

 

I agree. In fact, in addition to not using regular tour stops, I don't like public courses as host venues either. I want old-time private clubs Olympic, Winged Foot, Oakland Hills, Oakmont, Baltusrol, and Merion etc. Screw public access courses.  And no, I have ever been a CC member in my life.

Link to post
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, PeaceFrogg said:

I agree. In fact, in addition to not using regular tour stops, I don't like public courses as host venues either. I want old-time private clubs Olympic, Winged Foot, Oakland Hills, Oakmont, Baltusrol, and Merion etc. Screw public access courses.  And no, I have ever been a CC member in my life.

No Old Course then? It’s just a muni 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Koepka  is  going to have to worry about  making the  cut. He  is spraying  it everywhere. Might  be  intimidated  by  Morikawa's  play.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jxdama said:

Koepka  is  going to have to worry about  making the  cut. He  is spraying  it everywhere. Might  be  intimidated  by  Morikawa's  play.

He’s just nervous from people coming too close to his knee.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Holland just withdrew. Sand or something in left eye. Probably scratched it  

Looks like Finau won’t make the cut. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • I'm watching this video and he mentions "he got himself a little more out onto the front of his feet" and "he's got himself more centred in to back of his feet" in the other comparison https://youtu.be/S8dkDx8YVkI?t=242  Does that mean he puts more weight on the front of his feet than the back?   One more question: how do you create more space for the right arm during impact as mentioned here? He's more tipped over which allows this , I think http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8dkDx8YVkI?t=280 Would reducing how much your right forearm can rotate clockwise help with this, duringthe end of your backswing?
    • Sounds like he may have originated from my neck of the woods,   ‘Awayanbileyerheid’ is a fairly humorous response to someone ,  sort of like ,get lost your talking drivel (nonsense) If you want to get an insight of the meaning , Google ‘ Parliamo Glasgow’ -;))
    • I don’t think there is anything wrong with watching YouTube golf instruction videos, if and only if you stick to one or two instructors. I personally like Matt Fisher and Danny Maude myself.    Funny story: I played golf with three guys I haven’t seen in person since about 2003 today. Anyway one of the guys I played with, reminded me of a video I watched on posture recently, with Danny Maude. Me as a low single figure handicap my arms look like / at address down the line. You want them like | or \ slightly on the latter. My posture sucks… and I shot 1 under on the back today.
    • Can you share some information about your computer, such as OS?
    • There used to be a joke about the instructional articles in Golf Digest.  It might still be there, I haven't subscribed in years.  Anyway, every odd-numbered month, the lesson would be "fix your slice," but what they wouldn't tell you is that it'd cost you 10 yards.  In even numbered months, they'd tell you how to gain 10 yards on your tee shot, but not tell you that it'd cause you to slice. YouTube instruction is a bit like that.  You'll get conflicting information that may or may not cancel out.  Find someone reputable and get lessons for you not for some generic you. If you need someone online to give you something to work on, and don't feel like spending the money for something quality like Evolvr (hey, money was tight when I took up golf, I understand), at least make a "My Swing" thread and try what ends up being suggested for you.  The first time I did this, I was shocked at how someone could watch a few swings on video and give me good advice of what to practice that resulted in some improvement.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Armando Araujo
      Armando Araujo
      (46 years old)
    2. chris3putt
      chris3putt
      (54 years old)
    3. CrazyHorsePete
      CrazyHorsePete
      (34 years old)
    4. DHak20
      DHak20
      (44 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...