IGNORED

Should Louis Have Laid Up on #18 at Torrey?

Should Louis had Lay-Up on #18?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Should Louis had Lay-Up on #18?

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Rham was in that bunker and couldn’t even aim at the hole no? Or maybe it was Brooks?

In that case… Louis was totally dead no matter what l guess

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It wasn’t a particularly good lie, either. I believe that’s what they said on the broadcast. I think he made the right play. What he needed to do was not put himself in a situation where h

No politics please….😂

I forgot how he reacted to the eventual birdie.  Probably the most disappointed "I just made a birdie on the 72nd hole of the U.S. Open" ever.

Posted Images

Did Rahm have the option to go straight at the hole on 18?

It was either option go straight at hole get birdie but big number rolling it into the water or option escape bunker away from hole, longer putt for birdie, but take water out of play.

On 6/21/2021 at 11:03 PM, iacas said:

He was in the rough, no? He's not exactly a bomber.

Not many eagles were made there all day. One?

I wonder how much that skin paid out. 

I think he shoulda went for the green… because no one remembers Second, and David Simms will always be second.

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Did Rahm have the option to go straight at the hole on 18?

It was either option go straight at hole get birdie but big number rolling it into the water or option escape bunker away from hole, longer putt for birdie, but take water out of play.

Sure, I get what you're saying, but a ball that could possibly roll into the water is not one you're likely to hole out for eagle, either, no?

11 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Hole outs from green side bunkers have to be way more frequent than 80 yard shots.

But, I’m guessing he couldn’t get it in the green side bunker from where he was….so I think he made the right decision.

The right side bunker? Louis was in the left rough off the tee, wasn’t he? Wouldn’t that bunker be “behind” the green from his angle?

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, billchao said:

The right side bunker? Louis was in the left rough off the tee, wasn’t he? Wouldn’t that bunker be “behind” the green from his angle?

No.

image.png

17 minutes ago, billchao said:

Not really behind the green. Still off to the right. looks like, he would still have to clear the pond or take the chance it bounces in left if he tried to get it to the back bunker. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 9.42.47 PM.png

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

Not really behind the green. Still off to the right. looks like, he would still have to clear the pond or take the chance it bounces in left if he tried to get it to the back bunker. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 9.42.47 PM.png

Louis is a good bunker player, but your putting all your eggs in one basket. Either way, laying up or putting it the bunker. The bunker shot would be from closer.

The lie must’ve been shitty, because if he had a decent lie, you could even play  short right of the hole and took his chances on chipping in from there.

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Louis is a good bunker player, but your putting all your eggs in one basket. Either way, laying up or putting it the bunker. The bunker shot would be from closer.

The lie must’ve been shitty, because if he had a decent lie, you could even play  short right of the hole and took his chances on chipping in from there.

Tug it a tiny bit and you’re in the water. Push it and you’re in the rough.

(edited)
18 minutes ago, iacas said:

Tug it a tiny bit and you’re in the water. Push it and you’re in the rough.

Agreed. And this is shit rough. Kikuyu is like a Brillo pad. 

It still seems like he wasn’t playing for the tie, I feel he was protecting second by laying up… If he is in the fairway, no brainer to go for it, correct?

Edited by onthehunt526
Grammar

(edited)
13 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Agreed. And this is shit rough. Kikuyu is like a Brillo pad. 

It still seems like he wasn’t playing for the tie, I feel he was protecting second by laying up… If he is in the fairway, no brainer to go for it, correct?

If I were two behind and the 18th was a reachable par-five, would I rather have to hole a 50-60 foot putt to tie or hole out a 75 yard wedge shot?

Edited by onthehunt526

13 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

If I were two behind and the 18th was a reachable par-five, would I rather have to hole a 50-60 foot putt to tie or hole out a 75 yard wedge shot?

The conversation between him and his caddie told you everything. Louis was wondering if he might get a 7 wood to run from the right but it was pretty obvious that it was purely wishful thinking and there was next to no chance.  It wasn’t a reachable par 5 after that drive. He wasn’t protecting second, he was hitting the only shot that gave him any chance. And that meant a hole out for his third. It’s not as if he had a choice between an 80 yard wedge and a 60 foot putt.

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

I feel he was protecting second by laying up…

Nah.

21 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Huh? The putt was not a choice.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Nah.

Huh? The putt was not a choice.

I think if you are two behind and you lay up, you are protecting your position. 

I was being hypothetical. How is the putt not a choice? You either lay-up or you go for the green, you might hit the green if you go for it, so you’d have an eagle putt to tie.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, onthehunt526 said:

I think if you are two behind and you lay up, you are protecting your position.

No.

1 minute ago, onthehunt526 said:

I was being hypothetical. How is the putt not a choice? You either lay-up or you go for the green, you might hit the green if you go for it, so you’d have an eagle putt to tie.

It wasn’t gonna happen. He was not going to have a putt there.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

No.

It wasn’t gonna happen. He was not going to have a putt there.

I never said that he was going to have a putt there. I was being hypothetical. 

Where he was he wasn’t going to have putt, I agree with that.

1 in 10,000 on the green, if he banks it off the grandstands. At best.

Maybe he wasn’t protecting second, but he wasn’t going to win laying up.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Maybe he wasn’t protecting second, but he wasn’t going to win laying up.

It was his best chance.