IGNORED

Lofted Putters/Chippers

Jack50
Note: This thread is 790 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

He’s a +1.5. His mental game is fine. He just doesn’t think chippers are worth it because they are uni-taskers. I tend to agree. I had 5/7 up and downs today using my wedges to chip and pitch. I also used those wedges for long shots and sand. They can do multiple tasks. Chipping with proper technique is pretty straightforward.

If you like your chipper, great. But don’t disparage others for not liking them.

Well, his only reasoning to me was caring about others. He never said about uni-tasking to me, or anything worthwhile for that matter, you added that. 

2 minutes ago, Jack50 said:

Well, his only reasoning to me was caring about others. He never said about uni-tasking to me, or anything worthwhile for that matter, you added that. 

He probably doesn’t play pink balls either for that reason. To each his own.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

43 minutes ago, Jack50 said:

If you care what others think, and live your life by others, then that's your problem. It's funny you quoted me and Matt. +1.5 index and care what others think, your mental game isn't as good as mine and never will be.

Not having a chipper is certainly not a choice I made based on peer pressure 🤣, that's laughable! It's a choice I made based on the fact I am a good player that I can effectively chip using a normal golf club. Pretty sure my mental game is spot on, at least to the point I don't need to use a crutch to chip.

15 minutes ago, Jack50 said:

Never said it to you, but mentioned the fact a chipper is a waste of valuable space in my bag on a couple other posts. Listen, a chipper is unnecessary because you can do the same thing using several other clubs in the bag. Thats why no one worth their salt uses one. We poke fun at them because...well...they are easy to poke fun at.

13 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

He probably doesn’t play pink balls either for that reason. To each his own.

If ProV1s came in pink I'd give them a try! 😝

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

If you like your chipper, great. But don’t disparage others for not liking them.

So I agree with you, in both cases not just the one case.

We shouldnt want folks disparaging folks at all.  

An example, NM Golf on most of his posts starts with something approximating "if you want to use it fine" then says in a couple separate posts that he personally thinks people that use them are hackers (bc they use clubs in the hacker bin) and not worth their salt and would be a laughing stock no better than someone having a ball retriever.  Thats disparaging even if it wasnt meant to be (although I dont see how it wouldnt be meant that way).

What if I said, "I understand your opinion and everyone is entitled to their opinions" then follow up with, "personally I think people that have such a problem with it are snooty stuck ups, and attitudes like that are part pf the reason why Golf was losing interest from people prior to COVID.Even though I stated that I understand their opinions and they are entitled to them I went on to say my opinion which was still disparaging.

Thats what has the thread where it is.  I've tried to answer everyones questions respectfully as to why I use it and to give as much detail as I can, but when people couch their  questions behind comments that are disparaging it makes the questions look (as they are) fake. The questions arent asked for an answer then they were just another way to disparage. Thats how you get situations like this.  

Anyway, I know that was a long post, but its interesting how perspectives allow folks to not see something thats right there. Disparaging is still disparaging regardless of how its its presented.

@MattM you've mentioned a super low punch shot you can bounce out to 130 as an example of a not around the green shot you play with your "chipper". You've got the Cleveland Smart Sole C Wedge:

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 9.46.07 AM.png

I'd argue people mean something more like this when they say chipper:

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 9.50.20 AM.png

But regardless, it's in the family. What I don't get is why this is a punch shot club?! It's a strong 9i or weak 8i loft. You have to take a ridiculous swing to hit an 8i 4 feet off the ground! You really find putting the handle WAY forward with this club results in better punch shots than using a much less crazy swing with a choked up 5i?

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

8 minutes ago, mdl said:

@MattM you've mentioned a super low punch shot you can bounce out to 130 as an example of a not around the green shot you play with your "chipper". You've got the Cleveland Smart Sole C Wedge:

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 9.46.07 AM.png

I'd argue people mean something more like this when they say chipper:

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 9.50.20 AM.png

But regardless, it's in the family. What I don't get is why this is a punch shot club?! It's a strong 9i or weak 8i loft. You have to take a ridiculous swing to hit an 8i 4 feet off the ground! You really find putting the handle WAY forward with this club results in better punch shots than using a much less crazy swing with a choked up 5i?

Seriously, it's completely different.  When I use it from 90 to 130 out I basically don't really hinge my wrists dont really bend my right elbow etc...Its basically like taking a really long putt stroke with a little hit to it.  It just reacts way different from any othe club Ive used.  Also yes I've used 5 irons and 7 irons for punch shots this isnt the same thing..Im not putting my hands way ahead of the club etc.  FOR ME it's just easier.

Anyway...im about done answering any questions in here because folks love piling on and I'll just keep getting the off handed comments chucked at me about it.

• Administrator

@MattM, enough victim playing.

Stop discussing the “meta” too. Goodness.

Many think chippers suck. You think they’re the bee’s knees. Cool.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

27 minutes ago, MattM said:

Anyway...im about done answering any questions in here because folks love piling on and I'll just keep getting the off handed comments chucked at me about it.

Classic move. People push back by challenging your reasoning and logic, you feel personally offended, so you lash out with disparaging remarks, and then you play the victim.

Edited by ncates00

A friend loaned me a "chipper" and I tried it for a while. I also found that it was very limited and that I was just as likely to stub it into the ground or thin the ball as I was with any other club. But, I couldn't open the face and play a flop shot or play a bump and run or any of the shots in between. It obviously works for some folk but not for me. I gave it back to him and worked with my wedges and other clubs. I also have not been tempted by either "The Hammer" or that stand up putter - though, again, I'm sure they're great for somebody.

1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

Classic move. People push back by challenging your reasoning and logic, you feel personally offended, so you lash out with disparaging remarks, and then you play the victim.

Lol...yet again knowing your background makes me laugh at you.  

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

A friend loaned me a "chipper" and I tried it for a while. I also found that it was very limited and that I was just as likely to stub it into the ground or thin the ball as I was with any other club. But, I couldn't open the face and play a flop shot or play a bump and run or any of the shots in between. It obviously works for some folk but not for me. I gave it back to him and worked with my wedges and other clubs. I also have not been tempted by either "The Hammer" or that stand up putter - though, again, I'm sure they're great for somebody.

I agree. I messed around with one as well. I’d just rather use another club. Seems odd to have such a limited club for a purpose that is fulfilled by others. 

5 minutes ago, MattM said:

Lol...yet again knowing your background makes me laugh at you.  

I think you’ve been told multiple times by the mods to discuss chippers. I’m not engaging you further. If you like chippers, use them. I think it’s a terrible decision, but you do you. 

• 6 months later...
On 8/13/2021 at 7:28 AM, Jack50 said:

Orange is best for visibility.

Correct. 

BTW - I saw one of these at Golf Galaxy last night. Seems like this would be far more versatile than a chipper and pretty much give you the same benefits. Am I wrong? Wouldn't this be a much better option than a chipper? 

351010582_clevelandss.thumb.jpg.690d6d6edb46fa82be2f4f6f65875db0.jpg

BTW2 - I've never wanted to use a chipper. I have played with a few people who have them in their bag and I couldn't care less. If you/they want to use them so be it. As I've mentioned before someplace on this forum, my old man carried one. ... Of course my old man has carried as many as 22 clubs in his bag... so there's that. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I have an uncle who uses a chipper.  I understand why he uses it.  It works for him as he is only trying to get a ball to run on from the rough around the green.  He is over 80 and doesn't really want to try and hit these amazing flop shots or chip and pitch shots that stop on a dime or have backspin.  The clubs are definitely one dimensional, though they serve a purpose.  I don't see the need to use one because my chipping is still decent but I guess as I age I might definitely consider one.  For example, I have dropped my 3, 4 and even 5 iron and replaced all of them with a 4 hybrid.  The hybrid is definitely less versatile than the irons, but overall it works better for me because I am not as consistent with the long irons

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Note: This thread is 790 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!