IGNORED

JR Smith Wants to Join College Golf Team

nevets88

Since he went straight to the NBA from high school, he is eligible but some things he did as a result of his professional career doesn't conform to some rules. Good on him for going back to school though.

ee51d43824c94250af6e6046127c8a1a.jpg

College sports’ governing body has yet to rule on Smith’s eligibility to join NC A&T golf team

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to JR Smith Wants to Join College Golf Team

I applaud the part about going back to school. Hard to do so many years after a career. I have ten years between my degrees, so I understand it on a very small degree in comparison to his career and subsequent schooling. However, on Undisputed, Shannon pretty much explained my initial thoughts on it: don’t take a spot from a college kid. I’m sure he won’t take a scholarship from a kid, but, assuming J.R. makes the team, he’d likely take a spot from another deserving kid who is not a former professional athlete.

While I also understand that perhaps playing competitive golf could bolster J.R.’s determination to stay in school when things get tough, he can scratch his competitive golf itch in other ways. I suppose I’ll relent if the school/coach states that they really want J.R., that he would really help the team compete for a championship, and bring attention to the school’s program. Otherwise, let the kids play, J.R.; you had yours, man. 

• Like 2

He was never a professional in golf so based on that I am OK with it.  His Basketball career may have given him flexibility to take time to learn & practice golf and to pay for good coaching beyond what average HS players may have access to, but a child born to a rich family would have the same opportunities and not be questioned at all.  I say if he qualifies based on his ability then good, but if only for his "Name" I am not in favor of it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

don’t take a spot from a college kid. I’m sure he won’t take a scholarship from a kid, but, assuming J.R. makes the team, he’d likely take a spot from another deserving kid who is not a former professional athlete.

...let the kids play, J.R.; you had yours, man. 

D1 players are elite athletes with professional coaching beyond the means of most. Mr. Smith is following the same rules. He does not need to be "deserving". 

• Administrator
14 hours ago, reidsou said:

D1 players are elite athletes with professional coaching beyond the means of most. Mr. Smith is following the same rules. He does not need to be "deserving". 

He's possibly in breach of NCAA rules re: amateur athlete status, so no… he may not be following the same Rules as other D1 athletes.

And this isn't about scholarships, @ncates00. I doubt he'd take one even if offered.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

And this isn't about scholarships, @ncates00. I doubt he'd take one even if offered.

I agree. Which is why I said the same in an earlier post:

17 hours ago, ncates00 said:

I’m sure he won’t take a scholarship from a kid,

I was talking about taking a spot that another college kid could’ve received. Especially given that the school is a HBCU, seems like he should let college kids play. 

Edited by ncates00

I say go for it.  If he’s good enough he will be successful.  I wonder if he qualifies as an amateur for USGA tournaments?

I read that he is a 5 handicap. I would be surprised that would be good enough to make a D-1 team. A&T is joining the Big South Conference this year, and they have some pretty good players.

14 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I read that he is a 5 handicap. I would be surprised that would be good enough to make a D-1 team. A&T is joining the Big South Conference this year, and they have some pretty good players.

That was my first impression as well. I was thinking he would likely need to be a 3 or better. 

• 2 weeks later...

Power Five football set the stage for returning to college in a different sport.

Chris Weinke was 25 when he enrolled at Florida State after six seasons of professional baseball. Weinke led Florida State to a national title in 1999. He won the Heisman Trophy a year later, when he was 28.

Medcalf of ESPN

A decade later, Oklahoma State did the same thing with Brandon Weeden, another former pro baseball player. Weeden also played QB, and eventually had seven seasons in NFL.

Edited by WUTiger
Add Weeden.

On 8/14/2021 at 12:51 PM, iacas said:

He's possibly in breach of NCAA rules re: amateur athlete status, so no… he may not be following the same Rules as other D1 athletes.

Am I missing something here.  How does being a pro in one sport affect his amateur status in another 🤷‍♂️

• Administrator
1 hour ago, pganapathy said:

Am I missing something here.  How does being a pro in one sport affect his amateur status in another 🤷‍♂️

Given that the NCAA ruled he can play golf, your question is a bit late, but that was what they had to sort out.

To quote from the article in the OP:

In order for any athlete competing at a DI or DII level to be eligible to compete, he or she must acquire a final amateurism certification. While the recent NIL changes to college sports mitigate some of the requirements for the amateurism certification, such as promotion of products, Smith has still broken several other rules defined by the NCAA that determine an athlete’s amateur status.

For one, Smith has been represented by a professional agent in the past. He has also received compensation based on performance during his time in the NBA. Additionally, he’s received funds to offset training regimen expenses. And yes, none of these have anything to do with J.R. Smith’s golfing career, but they are all against the NCAA’s amateurism requirements, regardless of what sport they were used for. That being said, per ESPN, the NCAA does not prohibit former professional athletes from competing in a sport separate from the one they competed professionally in.

• Thumbs Up 1

The NCAA is stupid. They can run on this, but a linebacker transferred from USC to Ohio State, is paying his own way, participating in practice, but the NCAA has sat on this case for a few months now. There is only 3 days left until the first game of the season. 

124414_h.jpg

Ryan Day said the NCAA “asked for some additional information” as Palaie Gaoteote continues to wait for an answer on whether he'll be eligible to play for Ohio State in 2021.

28 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

The NCAA is stupid. They can run on this, but a linebacker transferred from USC to Ohio State, is paying his own way, participating in practice, but the NCAA has sat on this case for a few months now. There is only 3 days left until the first game of the season. 

124414_h.jpg

Ryan Day said the NCAA “asked for some additional information” as Palaie Gaoteote continues...

Well Ohio State has until November 27th until they may need him..😃

• 1 month later...

Would think there probably rules already in place covering such things, regardless of the sport involved. If there is, use what is already there. Really don't know.