IGNORED

TST Explores the ShotScope H4 (Stats Tracking Device) and Pro LX Rangefinder

iacas

10 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

Tried clipping the H4 to my bag with the shitty carabiner that came with the device. The carabiner worked fine and didn’t break but I missed even more tags than last round…so many that I just turned the H4 off after realizing I hadn’t tagged for several holes in a row.

Back to the belt next week, and I'm going to work on adding the tag into pre shot routine. 

You’ll get used to tagging as soon as you get to you ball as @iacas said. I got to the point where I couldn’t remember if I tagged after a shot and looked down to see I already did.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, iacas said:

Just tag it when you take out the club and walk over near your ball. And if you're not sure, either look at the screen or just tag it again — deleting extra tags later on is not that difficult.

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

You’ll get used to tagging as soon as you get to you ball as @iacas said. I got to the point where I couldn’t remember if I tagged after a shot and looked down to see I already did.

Yeah, I just need to get used to act of tagging which is why I am considering adding it to a pre-shot routine. I have 4 years engrained using the V2/V3 watch that automatically tagged just by holding the club (I also still check my wrist for distances even though there is no watch there).

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Made it through a round with only three missed tags so I think the process is mostly engrained now. I did almost miss a few shots, but I remembered after I hit the shot to tag the club. All of the misses that I had to add in post round were on short game shots, which I have a slightly different pre-shot routine for (more practice swings get a feel for the lie).

One advantage of the H4 compared to the watch is that there are no unintentional extra shots tagged. For example, if my club gets extra muddy, I'll drag the face through wet grass before wiping it off, and many times the watch detected the vibration as a shot, but that simply can't happen with the manual tagging of the H4.

I almost lost the device. I had it clipped on to the kangaroo pocket of my sweatshirt and it must have come off when either swinging the club or picking up my bag. Didn't notice until I was about to tag my putter on the green. I had to run back to where I hit my approach shot and search for it. Luckily the group behind us was slow and they weren't even on the tee yet.

Anyone have any thoughts on the updated UI / dashboard /editor? I still wish they would have a larger window (or even full screen) for the map.

-Peter

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

Anyone have any thoughts on the updated UI / dashboard /editor? I still wish they would have a larger window (or even full screen) for the map.

The map in the editor? I haven't had to edit a round in a while.

I haven't used it recently enough (I just loaded it up to see) to make any real good comparisons between what the dashboard looks like now versus what it used to look like.

Spoke too soon. Using my old bookmark I got version 2 of the dashboard.

Old on top. New on bottom.

shotscope_dashboards.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

My Game Golf hasn't worked in years, so I bought my H4 today and will join the group once I get everything set up. I am looking forward to getting stats again. Plus this has some nice feature upgrades like the GPS. Thanks everyone especially @boogielicious, @Darkfrog, and @billchao for sharing your thoughts.

• Thumbs Up 1

Michael

• 1 month later...

Looks like Shotscope is introducing a new watch: 

new_shot_schope_x5_gps_golf_watch_fb.jpg

Designed as a premium lifestyle watch as well as a multi-functioning golf GPS device that can be worn both on and off the golf course.

I'm not interested in a watch device, but I wonder if the features added to the watch will make their way to a new version of the non-watch version. Some of the new stuff:

• Improved tags
  • Green view/pin placement editing on screen
  • Score confirmation/in-round scorecard
  • Step tracking (probably watch only, not sure if care about this anyways)

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

2 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

Looks like Shotscope is introducing a new watch: 

new_shot_schope_x5_gps_golf_watch_fb.jpg

Designed as a premium lifestyle watch as well as a multi-functioning golf GPS device that can be worn both on and off the golf course.

I'm not interested in a watch device, but I wonder if the features added to the watch will make their way to a new version of the non-watch version. Some of the new stuff:

• Improved tags
  • Green view/pin placement editing on screen
  • Score confirmation/in-round scorecard
  • Step tracking (probably watch only, not sure if care about this anyways)

This is interesting. Thanks for posting. 

I guess the new improved tags have more range and a dome shape. ... ?

I like the look of this watch better than the old one, but I haven't worn a watch in so long I'm not sure if it would drive me nuts. It would solve the problem of forgetting the tracking unit on my desk attached to the charger. Which I normally only realize I forgot it right before teeing off. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator

I’m out. I like manually tagging AND I like my Apple Watch. H4 is still great.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I like the look of this watch better than the old one, but I haven't worn a watch in so long I'm not sure if it would drive me nuts.

It appears like it is a higher quality device, which was a gripe of mine with the Shotscope V2 and V3 watches. Even though I never had an issue with either watch, they just felt a little cheap compared to comparably priced Garmin watches.

Another gripe of mine about the watch was that the band, which houses the RFID antenna so there are not aftermarket options, would constantly come loose. It seems like the company takes customer feedback and incorporates that into their product design. I'm hopeful some of the features on the new watch, especially the on screen pin placement and score tracking, might appear in a future version of handheld.

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

I wouldn't go back to the watch version either, but I like the improvements.

-Peter

10 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I'm hopeful some of the features on the new watch, especially the on screen pin placement and score tracking, might appear in a future version of handheld.

I agree completely. 

10 hours ago, iacas said:

The H4 is great. I'm planning on sticking with it. 

I'm going to start looking into these as the app I've used the past couple years, Taylormade's MyRoundPro, has little to no customer support. I've been getting an error when trying to submit a round at my new home course (error only occurs for that specific course) and it's been a month and a half with 3 separate email submissions and I can't get any kind of an answer around if they're even looking into it. Pretty frustrating.

I had been kinda wanting a watch that would do hazards too as the one I have now just does front middle back of greens. 

For what I need/want, I don't think the X5 watch is enough of a upgrade over the V3 watch to justify the $100 cost increase. 

The automatic tracking seems enticing as I don't really want to go back to tapping on a belt unit like I used to with GameGolf years ago.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood
Irons: :titleist: U505 (3)  :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   :titleist: SM9 54/58  
Putter: :tmade: Spider X

Anyone else have trouble putting the H4 tags in Pure Midsize grips? The screw seems to catch the rubber in the hole and want to back out. I did my set and four of them would not go all the way in like the rubber of the grip wasn’t letting the screw all the way in.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Anyone else have trouble putting the H4 tags in Pure Midsize grips? The screw seems to catch the rubber in the hole and want to back out. I did my set and four of them would not go all the way in like the rubber of the grip wasn’t letting the screw all the way in.

There must be something else in there?

52 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I use Pure Midsize DTX and have not had this problem at all. 

I do have a few that are loose but none that wouldn't go down.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

There must be something else in there?

There’s nothing.

26 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I use Pure Midsize DTX and have not had this problem at all. 

I do have a few that are loose but none that wouldn't go down.

I’ll keep trying. These are the DTX.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

It's a screw, so… I'm not sure what you mean by "catch the rubber in the hole." It just screws in.

So they have a tap-in function to change a putt to a tap-in, and add shots which I frequently use because I forget to tag my tap-ins, but they don't have an add tap-in function? I didn't think It would be an issue but today I missed a 3' putt and it was a little annoying adding a tap-in. If I clicked too close to the hole it just grabs the flag and if I click too far away from the hole for some reason it automatically switched the order of my putts, like it assumed I didn't hit a 3' putt 8' from the hole, so the first putt must have been 8' and the second one was the 3' putt. Part of it was probably just me being too stubborn to move the tags around once they automatically switched, but it was kind of annoying all the same. I finally managed to click a spot next to the hole but inside of the first putt but it took longer than it needed to.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 3 weeks later...